Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:33   #1
watsoncb
CLM Number 40
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via MSN to watsoncb Send a message via Yahoo to watsoncb

9mm Suppressor

I'm looking to get a 9mm suppressor. I will be using it on a Glock.

Any suggestions/recommendations on suppressors - cost vs. sound reduction?

Glock Talk Charter Lifetime Member #40
Glockers of the Old Dominion #648
Smith & Wesson Club #648
Black Rifle Club #648
Kalashnikov Klub #648
The 10 Ring #648
Sub Club #648
watsoncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 19:25   #2
chemcmndr

Do you have any other 9mm platforms that you are planning to use? Any quality manufacturer's 9mm can will do for a Glock (Silencerco, SWR, AAC). I would advise to get the best quality can that you can afford, since you will have it for a long time (no real resale market on silencers).

I ended up going with an SWR Trident 9 since it was about $550, full auto rated, and has adapters that will let me shoot it on my Glocks, Sigs, MP5's, ARs, and, once I get one, Uzi.
chemcmndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 19:33   #3
Fireman1291
Firefighter/EMT

Price should not be a factor.

Look at the AAC tirant, Silencerco osprey, and SWR octane.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Facebook Fanpage:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Email me for prices on Firearms/Suppressors

Fireman1291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 19:38   #4
dsa1115

Take a look at AAC or Gemtech. Both of these companies are excellent.
dsa1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 23:05   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsoncb View Post

AAC over "Jamtech"
Had both.

Last edited by 436; 02-23-2012 at 14:33..
436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 00:24   #6
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

I'd look at AAC for sure. I own an SWR Trident-9 and it is also a very good can but with the new offerings out there now SilencerCo and AAC probably make the best on the market presently.
Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 00:26   #7
ronin.45

Right now the Tirant and Osprey are about the best going. If they are out of your price range, the YHM Cobra M2 is a heck of a can for $500.
Old 01-15-2012, 15:07   #8
Fireman1291
Firefighter/EMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
I'd look at AAC for sure. I own an SWR Trident-9 and it is also a very good can but with the new offerings out there now SilencerCo and AAC probably make the best on the market presently.
Dont discount your can too much brother. I've shot the Trident9 next to my Osprey and Tirant and its only slightly louder but you really have to pay attention to hear it. The NEW octane9 HD from SWR is ****!

Testing suppressors in my backyard. All are mine except for the Trident and Ghost industries 22 can.

Facebook Fanpage:

Old 01-15-2012, 15:29   #9
rjrivero

I have an Osprey 9mm, SWR Trident-9 and a Liberty Mystic. I think the Mystic is the most quiet of the three. It's user serviceable and it's multi caliber rated. For a First Can, the Mystic is hard to beat. I can shoot .22 and cast bullets through it because it's so easy to bead blast clean.

It's also a BIG can. 2" longer than my Trident-9. But it's a nice can.
rjrivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 17:22   #10
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1291 View Post
Dont discount your can too much brother. I've shot the Trident9 next to my Osprey and Tirant and its only slightly louder but you really have to pay attention to hear it. The NEW octane9 HD from SWR is ****!

Testing suppressors in my backyard. All are mine except for the Trident and Ghost industries 22 can.
Silencer sound comparison - YouTube
Good video. I love my SWR Trident-9 and have all the attachments for my other 9mm hosts so really it serves it's purpose and does it very well for sure. I even bought a 3-lug HK mount for it. It sounds perfect to be honest - but the new offerings are kind of tempting and if they were out when I bought my Trident-9 I would probably go with AAC today.
Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:50   #11
Liff

Meh. Watch out for who you are asking. Sorta like asking the Pope which version of Christianity is correct. There is a lot of AAC vs Gemtech hate out there. People point out a lot of different reasons for it, but in the end, who cares? Both AAC and Gemtech make fine products, although eerily similar.

Gemtech Tundra is great on my Glocks. I did not modify the Glocks or the can, so how anyone could call it a "Jamtech" is beyond me. Seems like the barrel may be the issue, or the rounds used, or something else.

The AWC Abraxis is also very good, which surprised me a lot for how small and lightweight it is.

And if you have never actually shot with a can on the pistol, go rent some somewhere first.
Liff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 16:12   #12
Fireman1291
Firefighter/EMT

I dont drink cool-aid but Gemtech and AWC are behind AAC and Silencerco/SWR. I've seen some piss poor machining in a Gemtech MM 9mm. And the baffle designs of AWC havent changed in YEARS. Like I said I own suppressors from lots of different manuafacturers and have shot pretty much all of them, even mom and pop shop types. And Silencerco/SWR/AAC gets my vote.

The only 9mm PISTOL silencers that are worth buying at the time of this post are the OSPREY9, TIRANT9, or OCTANE9 HD. The others are already outdated. (except the mystic but its just too long for a pistol)

Facebook Fanpage:

Last edited by Fireman1291; 01-20-2012 at 16:12..
Old 01-20-2012, 16:14   #13
Fireman1291
Firefighter/EMT

Also check out www.nfatalk.org and then goto "Reviews - Official Suppressor Test Data
" They have complied a HUGE list of metered suppressors on different hosts, wet/dry, and even different ammo brands/weights. Its very helpful.

Facebook Fanpage:

Old 01-30-2012, 20:54   #14
stooxie
NRA Life Member

That video is very interesting. I have a Trident 9 but have been getting envious of the newer offerings like the TiRant and the Osprey. I have to say, though, in the video the Trident 9 sounded great to me. The other two seemed to develop a high pitched resonance after the first couple of shots. I have a Warlock as well and it is great.

I think after a while you are splitting hairs. One thing that I WOULD do differently in the future, though, is go with removable baffles. SWR has clearly updated all it's products for that.

I have some AAC, too, and they are definitely the trendy vendor, but SWR has my attention, that's for sure.

-Stooxie
Old 01-31-2012, 16:11   #15
Fireman1291
Firefighter/EMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooxie View Post
That video is very interesting. I have a Trident 9 but have been getting envious of the newer offerings like the TiRant and the Osprey. I have to say, though, in the video the Trident 9 sounded great to me. The other two seemed to develop a high pitched resonance after the first couple of shots. I have a Warlock as well and it is great.

I think after a while you are splitting hairs. One thing that I WOULD do differently in the future, though, is go with removable baffles. SWR has clearly updated all it's products for that.

I have some AAC, too, and they are definitely the trendy vendor, but SWR has my attention, that's for sure.

-Stooxie
Yeah, the new SWR Octane9 looks like a pure winner.

Facebook Fanpage:

Old 02-03-2012, 10:05   #16
r2kba
Relax

Quote:
AAC over "Jamtech"
Had both.

This is complete bullhocky. Theres nothing wrong with AAC and theres nothing wrong with Gemtech.

The original poster should look at the brands, decide how much he wants to pay, and check the data sheets on the different products and make up his own mind. Stupid comments from specific-brand fan-boys are only that.
BIGDAWG #444 / Wheel#444

"I'd rather hunt with Dick Cheney than ride with Ted Kennedy ."

r2kba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:16   #17
r2kba
Relax

Quote:

My suggestion is to find a bunch of locals who have cans, and go hear them yourself, and take what you hear here ( no pun intended ) for what it is. A bunch of guys who probably sleep with their cans, which is fine, I love my can's too, but highly biased and some of the comments are completely dishonest.

Gemtech, AAC, SWR SilencerCO, MAJ, and a bunch of other top brands, are, top brands. They all offer their own plus and minuses and are very, VERY close in actual, perceived DB reduction. Most of the differences can only be heard with a sound measuring device, or when shot side-by-side. Most of that difference is not detectible by ear and is completely moot point. A can is either HEARING SAFE, or it's not. Most any can, is, when fired with subsonic ammo, just because of the basic fact that the round is not supersonic.

Now for my personal biased review. The gemtech MM9, or multimount is the perfect option for most people who want a 9mm can for multi platform use. It offers several mounts, a upper for an AR15, and there are adapters for glocks, nonglocks etc and will work on a SMG. If you only use it on a pistol, thats great too but it will let you use the item on other hosts if you decide you want to. There are other brands that offer this same feature too. I have several gemtech cans and am not afraid to say it. I like their product style, can designs, customer support and service and have had zero problems with any of the several gemtech cans I have.

Good luck in your search and you can PM me if you want to.
BIGDAWG #444 / Wheel#444

Old 02-03-2012, 20:39   #18
watsoncb
CLM Number 40
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via MSN to watsoncb Send a message via Yahoo to watsoncb

Sound To $ Ratio

I decided on an AAC EVO-9. I took a look at several cans and watched lots of video. In the end I made the choice based on how well the can seems to be made (quality) - then sound suppression vs. cost.

Bought it at Loudoun Guns.

Now to get the paperwork done and into Fairfax County.

Glock Talk Charter Lifetime Member #40
Glockers of the Old Dominion #648
Smith & Wesson Club #648
Black Rifle Club #648
Kalashnikov Klub #648
The 10 Ring #648
Sub Club #648
watsoncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:14   #19
stooxie
NRA Life Member

Quote:
I decided on an AAC EVO-9. I took a look at several cans and watched lots of video. In the end I made the choice based on how well the can seems to be made (quality) - then sound suppression vs. cost.

Dude, cry not with Fairfax County they are completely GTG. First submission took 5 weeks (meh). Second took 5 days round trip, as did subsequent ones. The sheriff signs off no problem and you even get a nice letter thanking you for your application.

Northern Virginia ain't Blue yet.

-Stooxie
Old 02-05-2012, 10:51   #20
r2kba
Relax

Quote:

The AAC will last longer than you, if you treat it well.
BIGDAWG #444 / Wheel#444