Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:20   #1
SpamtownG19

Rainier Lead Safe Plated Bullets

Does anyone have any experience with these bullets? The reviewers on Midway give them high marks. Jacketed bullets at the cost of lead. They recommend charging them as you would with lead bullets. If no lead bullet load info is available, then they suggest using a "mid power" charge.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:03   #2
Outer Rondacker

I have spent the last two days looking into these bullets. If you see my other post asking to compair to FMJ I have not yet got any replies. I am hearing anything after 750 fps or so they start to come apart in the barrel and are not hitting in a good group. Dont forget to add the shipping and well at that cost you can go FMJ for 20 bucks more online other places. Just what I have learned so far. Dont know if its even true. Good luck and if your going to shoot very low loads then I hear there great.
Outer Rondacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:09   #3
Tvov

I haven't reloaded in about 8 years, but I used Rainier Lead Safe Bullets all the time in 9mm, 38spl, and 45acp. They loaded fine, and performed fine for general target shooting. I never had any issues with them, using probably mid-level loadings.
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:13   #4
shotgunred
reloading nut

I have used ten 10,000+++ over the years. I quit using them because they got too expensive. There are other bullets out there that are just as good but priced better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Rebel View Post
I have spent the last two days looking into these bullets. If you see my other post asking to compair to FMJ I have not yet got any replies. I am hearing anything after 750 fps or so they start to come apart in the barrel and are not hitting in a good group. Dont forget to add the shipping and well at that cost you can go FMJ for 20 bucks more online other places. Just what I have learned so far. Dont know if its even true. Good luck and if your going to shoot very low loads then I hear there great.

They are thin coated. But they do not come apart in the barrel. They group just fine for gun game accuracy. If they were still competitively priced I would still be using them.
and motivated by pride and vanity.

Last edited by shotgunred; 01-16-2012 at 12:21..
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:51   #5
HAMMERHEAD

Quote:
I've used Rainier and Berry's plated bullets in many calibers. I've loaded Rainier bullets in .38 Super to 1,275 fps with no problems. I seem to get better accuracy in conventional land and groove barrels with plated bullets than I do with Glock barrels.
HAMMERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 13:08   #6
rpgman
SCGLOCK

I use Berry's with my wife's S&W BodyGuard 38.
The 125gr one.
rpgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 14:13   #7
fredj338

Quote:
Not sure who is telling you that but that is just not true. I have run both Ranier & Berry's to 1300fps w/ mixed results. It seems 1250fps is about max for the 9mm bullets at least. After that, accuracy starts falling off. I just don't see the point as plated are NOT the cost of lead but actually higher than true jacketed from PrecisionDelta or MG or Rose! IMO, no point in shooting a plated bullet today w/ cost being what they are.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 01-16-2012 at 14:15..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 15:07   #8
F106 Fan

Another problem with all plated bullets: no (or little) published reloading data. The manufacturers take the easy way out and say to load like a lead bullet with a starting charge in the middle of the published min and max loads.

To quote it exactly from the Ranier site:

Quote:
If you have a load for a cast lead bullet, that will transfer across the board as far as our bullets go. We recommend a starting powder charge directly between the listed minimum and maximum load.
Ranier also recommend a max velocity somewhere around 1200 fps.

But that isn't load data. That's just a guess with no actual measurements. On the brighter side, the Accurate Arms loading manual DOES have data for some plated bullets.

But the plated bullets are too expensive to bother with. If you want a totally encapsulated bullet, Montana Gold has CMJ. I load about equal quantities of FMJ, LRN and LSWC (all .45 ACP) but I have been told to load FMJ for the grandson. No lead exposure for him! Not that it ever hurt me... Much...

Richard
Old 01-16-2012, 15:31   #9
Steve in PA

I use them in everything from .380 up to and including .45acp. My loads with Rainier are the same as with regular jacketed bullets, nothing comes apart and groupings are excellent.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 15:51   #10
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

I use them in 40 S&W and 10mm, work well. I use mid to mid/high data with no problems. But then I shoot lead SWC's cutters from stock barrels.
Old 01-17-2012, 19:02   #11
GhettoSmack

I've used Rainier, Berry's, and the Bullet Works plated bullets in 9mm and .45 for 4 - 5 yrs (approx. 10,000). Never a problem. Loaded to lead specs in manuals when plated data mot available. Noooo problem. I haven't loaded hot since I load for action pistol competition. All loads shoot inside 8" circle at 50yrds.

I started with Rainier, but switched to the other plated mfg's because of cost. Plated still cheaper than FMJ.

If you're looking for a target/bullseye load with utmost accuracy, then stick with lead. Plated is great for general use.
GhettoSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 19:49   #12
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoSmack View Post
I started with Rainier, but switched to the other plated mfg's because of cost. Plated still cheaper than FMJ.

If you're looking for a target/bullseye load with utmost accuracy, then stick with lead. Plated is great for general use.
Actually they are now NOT. Check Precision Delta or Montana Gold or Rose Dist. All are currently cheaper than Berry's or Ranier or some others.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
Old 01-17-2012, 19:50   #13
Damon555

Plated bullets work great in the guns that I shoot them in. As far as the bullets coming apart above 750fps it's utter BS....Load data is not a problem either. Plated bullets are still cheaper to shoot than jacketed bullets no matter how you look at it. They might not be as cheap as they once were but they are still cheaper. If I'm just slingin' lead I see no reason to spend any extra on jacketed bullets.....or course lead is cheaper still but many indoor ranges require that the bullets you shoot have no exposed lead and my Glocks aren't set up to shoot lead.

If you're interested in loading plated bullets for one reason or another go for it. They will serve their purpose just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Damon555; 01-17-2012 at 19:56..
Damon555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 18:15   #14
greenlion

The coper plating could be separating because you are crimping too hard. It can damage the thin plating layer before you even fire it.
greenlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 21:13   #15
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon555 View Post
Plated bullets work great in the guns that I shoot them in. As far as the bullets coming apart above 750fps it's utter BS....Load data is not a problem either. Plated bullets are still cheaper to shoot than jacketed bullets no matter how you look at it. They might not be as cheap as they once were but they are still cheaper. If I'm just slingin' lead I see no reason to spend any extra on jacketed bullets.....or course lead is cheaper still but many indoor ranges require that the bullets you shoot have no exposed lead and my Glocks aren't set up to shoot lead.

If you're interested in loading plated bullets for one reason or another go for it. They will serve their purpose just fine.
SOrry, wrong, you are just not shopping well enough. PD, cheaper, MG, cheaper, RoseD, cheaper.
Old 01-19-2012, 22:45   #16
Damon555

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
SOrry, wrong, you are just not shopping well enough. PD, cheaper, MG, cheaper, RoseD, cheaper.
Please send me the links to the products that are cheaper. I couldn't find them. I'm in the market.....

Specifically I'm looking for 200 grain .451 bullets which run me 112.99 per thousand and 124 grain 9mm bullets which run me 99.99 per thousand. Their cheaper if I buy more and I don't have to pay shipping.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Damon555; 01-19-2012 at 23:17..
Old 01-20-2012, 00:41   #17
fredj338

Quote:
Please send me the links to the products that are cheaper. I couldn't find them. I'm in the market.....

Specifically I'm looking for 200 grain .451 bullets which run me 112.99 per thousand and 124 grain 9mm bullets which run me 99.99 per thousand. Their cheaper if I buy more and I don't have to pay shipping.
Only this once. Next time you just have to google. PD doesn't have 200gr/45 but they can easily beat the 9mm. MG has had a price increase this year, so they are a bit high now, same for Rose. TJ has some good deals on plated & jacketed. PD is really the best bet though.

http://www.precisiondelta.com/product.php
http://www.tjconevera.com/

Last edited by fredj338; 01-20-2012 at 00:43..
Old 01-20-2012, 09:15   #18
Damon555

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Only this once. Next time you just have to google. PD doesn't have 200gr/45 but they can easily beat the 9mm. MG has had a price increase this year, so they are a bit high now, same for Rose. TJ has some good deals on plated & jacketed. PD is really the best bet though.

http://www.precisiondelta.com/product.php
http://www.tjconevera.com/
I googled and went to those links.....I still don't see the bullets that are cheaper......What am I missing here?

Old 01-20-2012, 09:26   #19
rpgman
SCGLOCK

Quote:
I googled and went to those links.....I still don't see the bullets that are cheaper......What am I missing here?

http://www.precisiondelta.com/detail...ku=B-9-124-FMJ

http://www.precisiondelta.com/detail...ku=B-9-124-JHP

Includes shipping.

http://www.tjconevera.com/x9mm12rnplbu.html
http://www.tjconevera.com/xtremebullets.html
http://www.tjconevera.com/berrys-bullets.html

Greg
rpgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:15   #20
creophus
Born Again

PD is cheaper at least for the 115gr 9mm and a darn good bullet. Only caveat is you must buy at least 2000 of them at a time. Shipping is included though, so it's awfully hard to beat.

#448 .40S&W, 1911, Rimfire , Kalishnikov, & Black Rifle club

Last edited by creophus; 01-20-2012 at 10:16..
creophus is offline   Reply With Quote