Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-06-2014, 15:45   #1
Acujeff

Gun Control Relies On Shoddy Stats

John Lott, the economist, who is the leading expert on gun violence statistics, told Guns & Patriots that gun control advocates produce faulty research to confuse the public and further their gun ban agenda.

“If they can control the numbers that are used in the gun control debate, then they can control the debate,” said John R. Lott Jr., founder and president of the Crime Prevention Research Center, a research and education organization that studies the relationship between laws regulating the ownership or use of guns, crime, and public safety.

A recent nationwide study conducted by the Violence Policy Center have concluded grossly inaccurate figures about conceal handgun carry permit holders and violent crime rates. These studies are being regurgitated in the news without sufficient review and scrutiny, he said.

Full article at:
http://www.humanevents.com/2014/05/0...s-slack-stats/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Get free NRA-ILA legislative and RKBA e-mail alerts:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Acujeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 16:23   #2
steve1988

In conversations with rational people who come from a liberal background, I have found the following to be helpful:

I take a look at all of the major studies done. I find the flaws in the studies done that conclude things like concealed carry are harmful. After doing that, I don't have to prove that concealed carry is helpful. I just have to ask the question: "In a free society, should we restrict behavior that hasn't been shown to be harmful overall, and may be helpful?"

If they are rational people, they generally concede the point.

I don't think that the vast majority of people who are against concealed carry are out to deny our rights for kicks and giggles. I think that education can convert many to our side. I don't particularly care if someone chooses not to carry. I just don't want them to force me to decide the same way.
Thomas Paine: "...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law-abiding) deprived the use of them."
steve1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 17:35   #3
SJ 40

It has to rely on False data,it's not about guns it about Control. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:20   #4
nylaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1988 View Post
In conversations with rational people who come from a liberal background, I have found the following to be helpful:

I take a look at all of the major studies done. I find the flaws in the studies done that conclude things like concealed carry are harmful. After doing that, I don't have to prove that concealed carry is helpful. I just have to ask the question: "In a free society, should we restrict behavior that hasn't been shown to be harmful overall, and may be helpful?"

If they are rational people, they generally concede the point.

I don't think that the vast majority of people who are against concealed carry are out to deny our rights for kicks and giggles. I think that education can convert many to our side. I don't particularly care if someone chooses not to carry. I just don't want them to force me to decide the same way.
In my experience it's more emotion based fear. Logic doesn't usually win them over.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.”

Sigmund Freud
nylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 15:15   #5
VinnieD

Anti gunner's lie? You don't say.

VinnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 21:09   #6
dedron

gun-control relies on gutless wonders letting them get away with what they do.
dedron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 22:21   #7
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylaw View Post
In my experience it's more emotion based fear. Logic doesn't usually win them over.
To be honest, that's what I think all the liberal arguments/politics are based on. They want people to react emotionally rather than intellectually. Hence the "war on women" and "voter id = racism" campaigns. Democrats rely on low-information voters who lack the intellectual curiosity to ask "why?"

To me, it's a subliminal recognition that their arguments aren't that compelling -- and that reality often differs from their viewpoint.
Windham SRC
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:13   #8
dedron

only 5% of the US population supported the Revolutionary War at it's beginning. after years of abuse and retaliations by the king, it went up to 10%. But the great majority has NEVER had any balls.
dedron is offline   Reply With Quote