SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-18-2012, 22:08   #1
frank4570
Silver Membership

Romney/ Mormon.

I've heard people say he is un-electable because there are so many non-mormon christians in this country who won't vote for him.

Anybody think that is true?
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 22:11   #2
CAcop

I saw one survey where the biggest push against him was liberals. Conservatives where much more comfortable with Mormons. I think it is because while they don't share the same beliefs conservative Christians and Mormons are a hell of a lot closer to each other than liberals.

I suspect those on the right who would not vote for him are probably people who refer to Catholics as Papists.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT

Last edited by CAcop; 01-18-2012 at 22:12..
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 22:15   #3
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

The media will hold back on the anti-Mormon propaganda until after he is nominated.
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 22:28   #4
Jeff S.
Carson Valley

Personally, I don't care if he prays to the winter gods of Neptune; I just want to know his politics.

As for the rest of the country: honestly, I don't think it's a big issue. It'll be made out to be a big issue, but I don't think people care. As a parallel, I think his Mormonism is similar to Obama's skin color, in that there will be a bunch of hoopla about it, but it will ultimately be a non-issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Jeff S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 22:31   #5
RyanBDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post

I suspect those on the right who would not vote for him are probably people who refer to Catholics as Papists.
Political Issues

Glock 26 w/CTC Lasergrips, and Trijicon Sights = Daily Carry
RyanBDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 22:33   #6
Paul7
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
The media will hold back on the anti-Mormon propaganda until after he is nominated.
.....all the while ignoring the Mormon Harry Reid.
Old 01-18-2012, 22:41   #7
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

I don't know that its cause he's mormon or any other cult.

I just don't trust someone who doesn't drink coffee or whiskey.

Something just…so….WRONG about that!

I mean, what kind of pervert…never mind.

G29Reload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 22:54   #8
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

In a Gallup poll last summer 22% of the respondents indicated that they would not vote for a Mormon. Here are more of the results:

Would not vote for:
a black 5%
a woman 6%
a Catholic 7%
a Baptist 7%
a Jew 9%
a Hispanic 10%
a Mormon 22%
a gay or lesbian 32%
an atheist 49%

-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 23:29   #9
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
.....all the while ignoring the Moron Harry Reid.
Fixed it for you.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 23:43   #10
cablecutter

I am a Mormon... Anyone that calls the church a cult, now that is plain messed up! I worship the same God as other Christian religions. We have our differences( what church doesn't?) of belief but any church by definition can be call a cult.

Do what Jesus would do, thats my message!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
cablecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 23:45   #11
cablecutter

It's not funny to make fun of anyone's religion. Take your rude comments else where!

cablecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 00:01   #12
Fred Hansen
Liberal Bane

I like most Mormons I've met. I think the world of John Moses Browning; being Mormon never hurt him any.

Can't stand Romney the R.I.N.O. Wouldn't vote for him if somebody held a gun to my head. Why vote for the inventor of Obamacare? What exactly would be the point?

There are ample reasons to not vote for Romney, being a Mormon isn't even in the top 100.
When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. - George Santayana
Fred Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 00:09   #13
Big Mad Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S. View Post
Personally, I don't care if he prays to the winter gods of Neptune; I just want to know his politics.

As for the rest of the country: honestly, I don't think it's a big issue. It'll be made out to be a big issue, but I don't think people care. As a parallel, I think his Mormonism is similar to Obama's skin color, in that there will be a bunch of hoopla about it, but it will ultimately be a non-issue.
I agree it will only be portrayed as a big issue by the support obama media. I don’t care about a person’s religious affiliations as long as they don’t try to restrict or influence mine. I believe that some of the best people in the world are Mormons compared to the lying gangster in the office now the choice would be clear. But then I have no love for criminal organizations so maybe I am just being unfair to the slimy bum in charge.

What religion is obama? I am not sure but his minister preached hate I doubt that you can say the same about the Mormon Church.

Why so serious

If you don’t have any horses you must saddle your dogs - Dr. Saad
Big Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 00:12   #14
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

I'm mormon and dont care for Reid or Romney. I prefer Ron Paul.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:56   #15
barbedwiresmile
Unreconstructed

Quote:
I saw one survey where the biggest push against him was liberals. Conservatives where much more comfortable with Mormons. I think it is because while they don't share the same beliefs conservative Christians and Mormons are a hell of a lot closer to each other than liberals.
That is also my sense of it.

Por La Raza todo, Fuera de La Raza nada
barbedwiresmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:36   #16
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Mormons have a different take on the Bible than I do. But then again, it's not like he's a Methodist or something.

Regards,
Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."

Last edited by happyguy; 01-19-2012 at 12:16..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:57   #17
Chuck TX
CLM Number 243
Charter Lifetime Member

It'll be a sizable issue for some, but it is not the reason he will wind up as McCain 2.0 if he gains the nomination. That reason would be he is a snake oil selling liberal in conservative clothing and enough people know it.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:03   #18
heyTJ
Giddy up!

Send a message via ICQ to heyTJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablecutter View Post
I am a Mormon... Anyone that calls the church a cult, now that is plain messed up! I worship the same God as other Christian religions. We have our differences( what church doesn't?) of belief but any church by definition can be call a cult.

Do what Jesus would do, thats my message!

For the life of me I don't know why people get so offended when their "organization" is called a cult. The bottom line, it is, look up cult.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:11   #19
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbedwiresmile View Post
That is also my sense of it.
The Gallup poll that I referenced earlier certainly shows a gap between the willingness of Democrats and Republicans, but 18% of Republicans still indicated that they would not vote for a Mormon (vs 27% of Democrats).

-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:24   #20
frank4570
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
The Gallup poll that I referenced earlier certainly shows a gap between the willingness of Democrats and Republicans, but 18% of Republicans still indicated that they would not vote for a Mormon (vs 27% of Democrats).

-ArtificialGrape
18% is still an awfully big chunk. I kind of think he would have a terrible time making up that many votes.
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote