Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-21-2012, 17:55   #1
jco69

.22 or .380 suggestions

My wife is looking for a .22 or .380, she likes the look of a P22 or Bersa .380, anybody have any pros/cons or other suggestions?
Rimfire club member #817
NRA member
GSSF member
jco69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 18:04   #2
Bruce M

I am guessing that part of the use for this gun will be for protection. A .22 would be pretty far down on my list for that use (and I lust after most .22s I see.) If I had to, it would be a .22 revolver, probably a Smith with three inch barrel although the SP101 looked smaller than I thought it would.

I have never shot one but the Bersa .380 seems to be well made and others ave claimed good results with it.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 01-21-2012 at 18:10..
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 18:06   #3
D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

I used to own a P22, biggest POS I've ever owned, even when using high velocity ammo. Some folks have had good luck with them and gotten a decent one, but you'll find plenty of folks here who've had nothing but trouble from them

If you're looking for a .22lr pistol, get a Ruger MK, I have a MKIII 22/45 thats been great. Another good gun that I've had for a few months now is the GSG .22lr 1911.

Also, why only .22 or .380? Will this gun be for carry or HD? Whats the limit on your budget?
"To be governed is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censored, checked, valued, enrolled, by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so."

Last edited by D3S3RT_P3NGU1N; 01-21-2012 at 18:08..
D3S3RT_P3NGU1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 18:10   #4
jco69

She's not into revolvers and she will most likely never carry it, now she likes the Diamond back .380. she just wants something to take to the range when i go. and pink would be a plus :-)
Rimfire club member #817
NRA member
GSSF member
jco69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 18:19   #5
JFrame

If your wife is simply looking for a plinker, and she doesn't demand "kick" when she shoots, by all means I would recommend a .22. The difference in the price of ammo between .22 and .380 would pay for the difference in getting a nice .22 in a very short while.

If she likes the P22, I would say go for it. I don't have one myself, but I have three friends who do, and they all seem to love theirs. The P22's seem accurate enough, which I think is important for enjoying oneself at the range.

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 18:20   #6
M2 Carbine

What is her primary use for the gun?

One of the ladies I'm teaching to shoot bought a Bersa .380 and added a Crimson Trace laser for shooting practice and a purse gun. The lady shoots the gun very well and the gun has been totally trouble free.
So far I'm impressed with the gun.

Ruger just came out with a 22 called the SR22. The local gun store has one but I haven't shot it yet.
First thing I thought when I saw it was this would make a good woman's gun.

A good mid size .380, if you can find one, is a ATI 84. It's a copy of the Beretta Model 84. Sells for under $400. ATI makes some very good guns. I have several.
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 18:20   #7
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

I can tell you I like shooting the Bersa a LOT more than I like shooting the LCP or the little Kel Tec .380's, and if she's OK with the size & weight of a Bersa, they are a lot easier to hit things with, and a lot easier on your hands while you do it.

If the automatic she's considering was an LCP, I could see why she might want a .22 instead because of how light & snappy LCP's are. But in the Bersa, .380 is pretty mild & controllable enough to make you forget all about a .22 Rimfire. And a Bersa can actually hit things without a laser too, while LCP's & Kel Tec's are almost worthless beyond 6 feet without one.

EDIT:

Now that I've seen your second comment about her wanting something to take to the range with you, then I'd certainly rule out an LCP or Kel Tec .380. They just aren't any fun for that purpose, nor were they intended to be, but a Bersa can be.

Last edited by Brian Lee; 01-21-2012 at 18:25..
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 18:47   #8
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jco69 View Post
She's not into revolvers and she will most likely never carry it, now she likes the Diamond back .380. she just wants something to take to the range when i go. and pink would be a plus :-)

Ahh that changes everything. A .22 will be less expensive at the range than a .380. There have been some reviews of the Diamondback here that have not been favorable. Beretta makes a pink version of the Neos

General Firearms Forum

A Hogue Handall could make a variety of guns "pink" such as a Ruger or maybe a bit less expensive a Smith 22A

General Firearms Forum
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 18:55   #9
barth
six barrels

Quote:
My wife is looking for a .22 or .380, she likes the look of a P22 or Bersa .380, anybody have any pros/cons or other suggestions?
380 is much better for SD than a 22
Not to mention the whole center fire vs rim fire issue

There is a whole new crop of CC micro 9mm out there now.
I'd try to nudge her in that direction if she was my girl

Last edited by barth; 01-21-2012 at 19:00..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 19:27   #10
Z71bill

If she likes the P22 why not the PK380?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...06&isFirearm=Y

http://www.gunblast.com/Walther-PK380.htm
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 19:27   #11
hogship
It's MY Island

To the OP, jco69......

Since it seems like range use is the intended purpose, can we rule out the 380 and zero in on something in 22LR?.......and can we eliminate anything that's small and intended for ccw?

If I may ask, what does your wife have, or intend to use for self defense purposes?

As much as I like revolvers, if I wanted something that I could go to the range and blast away.......it would be an automatic.

I have a couple of Ruger MKII's that are nice, and I'm going to keep those forever......but, they are heavy. I also have a Smith 617 that's also very heavy.

It seems to me that a full sized 22LR automatic intended for a woman's smaller hand, would probably be one of the newer polymer framed pistols on the market. They seem to be more ergonomically designed, and much lighter.

I believe, for something that fit all the parameters you are suggesting, M2Carbine gave a suggestion that looks to me like a winner!.......Ruger SR22

ooc

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Carbine View Post
Ruger just came out with a 22 called the SR22. The local gun store has one but I haven't shot it yet.
First thing I thought when I saw it was this would make a good woman's gun.
General Firearms Forum
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by hogship; 01-21-2012 at 19:32..
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 19:41   #12
Caladan

Quote:
she just wants something to take to the range when i go. and pink would be a plus :-)
Well, no reason to get a .380. They cost more to shoot than 9mm.

We have pretty much all of the commonly-available .22's, with the exception of the new Ruger polymer version. My wife's favorite plinker is our Browning Buckmark. It's grip is just right for her, and it's trigger is the best of all the ones that cost less than $350.

That being said, if I were to purchase just one plinker specifically for my wife, I would look real hard at the new Ruger polymer .22.

One other option to consider, if you really want pink, is the new version polymer PT22's from Taurus. The earlier versions were pretty bad, but the review at Gunblast.com was not bad.
Caladan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 20:20   #13
hogship
It's MY Island

I hadn't realized it, but the Ruger SR22 is a DA/SA, with external hammer.

For a range gun, I like that!

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 20:42   #14
Berto
woo woo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFrame View Post
If your wife is simply looking for a plinker, and she doesn't demand "kick" when she shoots, by all means I would recommend a .22. The difference in the price of ammo between .22 and .380 would pay for the difference in getting a nice .22 in a very short while.

If she likes the P22, I would say go for it. I don't have one myself, but I have three friends who do, and they all seem to love theirs. The P22's seem accurate enough, which I think is important for enjoying oneself at the range.

+1

If it's not for protection, go .22 and spend enough to insure good quality, it'll pay for itself huge in ammo costs.
I'm not huge on P22's but I bet they make a pink one.
Old 01-21-2012, 20:46   #15
WoodenPlank
Who?

If it's just a range toy, what about the Ruger Mark II or III, or the 22/45? Can even get pink grips for the 22/45.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 20:54   #16
mitzer

Quote:

Just bought a Ruger Mark III 22/45 for the same purpose this week for the wife's birthday. It's stainless, has an adjustable rear sight, and a TFO front sight. After checking out reviews on SIG, Walther, etc, in .22LR, I decided the the Ruger 22/45 was the best option for a range plinking gun.

So far, it's great. I shot 100 rounds the day I bought it and the wife shot 200 rounds Friday night. Zero malfunctions, even without cleaning it yet. She shot it very well ... much better than her .38 and she absolutely loves it.

Only downside ... it ain't pink. I bought the stainless model so I could tell her that she was getting some "bling" for her birthday. Now she can go to the range with me without breaking the bank on ammo.
mitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 21:21   #17
Cole125
Silver Membership

Quote:
If she is never going to carry it, then why a small, hard to shoot pistol? A small .380 has more recoil and is harder to shoot than a full size 9mm.

Smith & Wesson makes a M&P 9mm with a pink grip.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:44   #18
DonGlock26

Quote:
.380acp. -centerfire primers are more reliable.

If the recoil is still too much consider a .32acp or steel .38spl with light wadcutter loads-147gr for carry. If a HD gun- S&W M&P 9mm.

_
Operation Wetback 1954 was an immigration law enforcement initiative. The program utilized special tactics to combat the problem of illegal border crossing. Overall, there were 1,078,168 apprehensions made in the first year of Operation Wetback.
DonGlock26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 13:21   #19
DoubleWide

.22 or a full size 9 would be your best bet. Since it's mostly range, just get a .22 first.

Ruger SR22 and Walther P22 would be the smallest grips, but the Ruger hasn't been out long enough and with the P22, you either get a decent gun or a POS.

Ruger Marks and Browning Buckmarks are very reliable. The Ruger 22/45 would be a small grip option.
DoubleWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 13:22   #20
March817

Quote:
The Bersa also comes in .22LR, then go to designergrips.com for some pink custom grips.