Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-21-2012, 21:19   #1
BrewerGeorge

.357 Mag Critical Defense Overcharged?

Did some shooting today, including the .357 Mag Critical Defense I use as my defense round in my SP101. Something was wrong with one of the rounds. The shot itself didn't seem off, but the revolver wouldn't cycle for the next shot. Investigation showed that the primer had blown completely out of the round and was stopping the cylinder from turning. The primer pocket was blown all the way through. The case was also expanded so much that the rounds would not extract by hand. I had to use the bench and press down with my weight to extract the rounds. It was really tight.

Has anybody experienced problems with this ammo? It was factory fresh, not reloaded, but acted like a double-charged reload.
BrewerGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 21:47   #2
interlake869

if the shot and recoil didnt seem to be different i would blame a faulty case over a double charge.... ive shot a box of the stuff out of my gp100 with no issues
interlake869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 22:40   #3
dkf

Hornady makes mistakes. Contact them.

This a defect 140 XTP .357mag I had.
Caliber Corner
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 23:45   #4
BrewerGeorge

Just a quick update:

I emailed Hornady and they asked me to call. They set up a return and are sending two boxes of ammo to replace the questionable one.

I'm pleased.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:50   #5
BrewerGeorge

Final update:

Got a call from the testing tech yesterday. No problems with the loads, so they sent the brass up to be tested. It was softer than it is supposed to be.

They're sending me a replacement box of .357 and .38+P (different lot, obviously).

Good service overall.
Old 02-21-2012, 15:30   #6
Brasso

Sounds like an overcharged shell. Soft case metal wouldn't really cause the hard extraction.

Luckily, with magnum cases and powder, it's hard to overcharge it to the point of catastrophic explosion because the case can only hold so much slow burning powder, even with a compressed load. Not saying it can't go overpressure, but there is a bit more wiggle room.
Yeshayahu 9:7 Of the increase of His rule and peace there is no end, upon the throne of David and over His reign, to establish it and sustain it with justice and with righteousness from now on, even forever. The ardour of יהוה of hosts does this.

Last edited by Brasso; 02-21-2012 at 15:33..
Brasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 18:06   #7
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

I had one Hornady factory round of 357 Sig chronograph at 1800 fps! It felt like it too. If a round is so stuck in the cylinder that the ejector jams, it might be best to use a rod through the front of the cylinder to prevent from damaging the ejector.