SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:58   #1
creophus
Born Again

.22lr still cheaper than loading 9mm?

Did a bit of research a while back and found that even though I buy 9mm components in bulk, shooting 22lr was still cheaper.

I use Precision Delta 9mm 115gr FMJ as they are the cheapest from what I can find.

Is that still the case in your area?

#448 .40S&W, 1911, Rimfire , Kalishnikov, & Black Rifle club
creophus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 13:13   #2
Colorado4Wheel

I don't know for sure but I am pretty sure my casting makes my 9mm cheaper then .22.
Old 01-23-2012, 13:14   #3
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

About a buck and a half, give or take a few cents, for 50 rounds of .380, 9mm, .38/357mag, .41mag, 44mag or .45 with cast bullets.

.22 is fun to shoot though but your last name has to be Gates or Buffet to afford it.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 13:25   #4
shotgunred
reloading nut

22lr are about 1/2 the price of my 9mm. But I do not cast and use 124's.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 13:44   #5
creophus
Born Again

I don't cast either. Just the cost of the projectiles puts me 2x over the price of 22lr.

Old 01-23-2012, 14:08   #6
F106 Fan

Sure, .22 in bulk from Wally World will always be cheaper than anything I can load.

It didn't used to be that way but the price of primers keep the cost of reloading high.

Richard
Old 01-23-2012, 14:14   #7
creophus
Born Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
Sure, .22 in bulk from Wally World will always be cheaper than anything I can load.

It didn't used to be that way but the price of primers keep the cost of reloading high.

Richard
For me it's the cost of the projectiles.

I figured 22lr from walmart was still the cheapest thing going, just wanted to confirm.

Old 01-23-2012, 14:49   #8
rpgman
SCGLOCK

don't cast either so .22lr is cheaper for me, that's why I got an Advantage Arms Conversion kit for my G17.

If I want to shoot cheap that day, I use the conversion kit.

Else, I'll use my reloaded 9mm.
Greg
rpgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 14:57   #9
fredj338

If you cast your own from free alloy, cheaper than 22lr for even 45acp. Yeah, life is good.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 15:01   #10
jr05

.22lr is cheaper for me, as I only shoot 124gr CMJ, but I get a lot more out of my practice sessions (IDPA USPSA) with 9mm than I ever do with 22lr.

I would rather spend the few extra bucks and shoot 9mm. When comparing my reloads to good 22lr ammo, it is about 2x the cost to shoot 9mm. But then again, it is 1/2 as much as shooting budget factory 9mm.
jr05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 15:17   #11
F106 Fan

If you can cast your own bullets with FREE lead alloy then reloading is about $0.04 per round for the primer and powder. Pretty cheap.

Unless, you put a value on your time! Even if it makes no sense to put a dollar value on time if you're retired, there is still an opportunity cost. Every minute I spend reloading I can't spend doing something else. Something that I might enjoy...

I don't really like reloading and it isn't a hobby. Shooting is a hobby and reloading is the cost of entry (I'm still on a fixed income). Anything that adds to the time spent reloading is not something I consider 'free'. So, the issue at hand is how to properly price home-cast bullets. Even if the lead alloy is really free (and I don't see how it could be), there is the opportunity cost of doing the work. It all adds up.

Richard
Old 01-23-2012, 15:57   #12
unclebob

Quote:
If you can cast your own bullets with FREE lead alloy then reloading is about $0.04 per round for the primer and powder. Pretty cheap.

Unless, you put a value on your time! Even if it makes no sense to put a dollar value on time if you're retired, there is still an opportunity cost. Every minute I spend reloading I can't spend doing something else. Something that I might enjoy...

I don't really like reloading and it isn't a hobby. Shooting is a hobby and reloading is the cost of entry (I'm still on a fixed income). Anything that adds to the time spent reloading is not something I consider 'free'. So, the issue at hand is how to properly price home-cast bullets. Even if the lead alloy is really free (and I don't see how it could be), there is the opportunity cost of doing the work. It all adds up.

Richard
My I suggest taking up golf instead of shooting. Or just buy the ammo if you have to put a price on your time reloading.
GSSF Life Member
Old 01-23-2012, 16:05   #13
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Why isn't lead, (wheel weights) free? If you're out and about doing errands and you're passing your tire shop anyway how is it an added expense to pull in the parking lot and load a few buckets of weights into the truck?

Of course I've known guys who have gotten married because they thought it would be a means of free and frequent no hassle sex. Scrounging wheel weights is much more of a sure thing... and a lot cheaper.

Jack

Old 01-23-2012, 16:09   #14
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
Why isn't lead, (wheel weights) free? If you're out and about doing errands and you're passing your tire shop anyway how is it an added expense to pull in the parking lot and load a few buckets of weights into the truck?

Of course I've known guys who have gotten married because they thought it would be a means of free and frequent no hassle sex. Scrounging wheel weights is much more of a sure thing... and a lot cheaper.

Jack
And here I thought you just visited parking lots.

Are you trying to break you back again? Bucket of wheel weights
GSSF Life Member
Old 01-23-2012, 16:12   #15
F106 Fan

Quote:

Jack
I haven't actually tried this but why would the lead be free? Their own employees or friends of employees might be reloaders. Lead may have a salvage value - most metal does.

Besides, it just leads down that rabbit hole of casting bullets.

Richard
Old 01-23-2012, 16:12   #16
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

I have trouble picking up a single wheel weight, much less a bucket of them but I have friends and a son-in-law... who doesn't want to get written out of the will.

Jack

Old 01-23-2012, 16:14   #17
unclebob

Quote:
Of course I've known guys who have gotten married because they thought it would be a means of free and frequent no hassle sex.
Is that why you have been married 3 times? Enquire magazine should be knocking on your door any time now.
GSSF Life Member
Old 01-23-2012, 16:16   #18
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
I haven't actually tried this but why would the lead be free? Their own employees or friends of employees might be reloaders. Lead may have a salvage value - most metal does.

Besides, it just leads down that rabbit hole of casting bullets.

Richard

The same reason you'd help a neighbor shovel the driveway after a heavy snow or help them change a flat tire or give them a piece of loading equipment that they can't afford to purchase on their own.

Sometimes people do things for other people without any expectation of being paid for it. At least that's the way I was raised.

Jack

Old 01-23-2012, 16:17   #19
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
My I suggest taking up golf instead of shooting. Or just buy the ammo if you have to put a price on your time reloading.
If my fixed income was a lot higher, I would shoot factory ammo. If I was a really good shooter, the factory would give me ammo. Neither are going to happen any time soon. That's the thing about a fixed income - it's fixed!

Golf? One of the most pointless endeavors on the face of the earth. Hit the ball, chase the ball, find the ball. Rinse and repeat.

Richard
Old 01-23-2012, 17:47   #20
fredj338

Quote:
Richard
Getting free alloy is an art form. WW used to be free for the hauling, not anymore. About the only free stuff is range scrap. There is a time issue & a bit of propane or elec for smelting, but essentially free of currency cost. My dentist gave me about #50 last month free. I've traded for lead too. It's where you find it, just don't count on tire stores anymore.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 01-23-2012 at 17:48..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote