Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-23-2012, 13:44   #1
bigez1

1911 Advice

Hoping for a little advice. I'm haven't had a 1911 for about 20 years and am looking to pick one up. It will just be a range gun to play around with and not a carry gun. I was thinking about something along the lines of a RIA Tactical. I was in the local shop today and they had a used Springfield MC Operator unknown rounds but in good shape for $900. I know it is a superior to the RIA but is it worth twice the money for what I am looking for. Any other advice will be appreciated.
bigez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 13:59   #2
Rumbler_G20

I mean no disrespect, but this is like asking if brown socks are worth more than black socks.

Hopefully this will help you make a better informed decision . . .

When "bells and whistles" appear pretty evenly matched between two 1911 style pistols and there is a "large" price disparity it is because of one of two . . or both, reasons:

1) Fit and finish.
For a range queen a finely fit pistol is desirable. For a self defense/combat pistol that is just exactly what you want to avoid. "Tight" equals unreliable - almost without exception (there are a few master 1911 'smiths that can balance the two. But they tend to start in the $3000.00 range and go up from there).

2) Metallurgy.
Like it or not good steel is not cheap. If you find "identical" pistols with a significant price difference, it will be because the cheap one has cheap steel or "cheap" steel processing (heat treating).

I really hope this helps . . .
Rumbler_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 18:16   #3
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

Start with a standard Mil Spec pistol with a five inch barrel. Such a gun is required for many of the interesting games that can be played with a John Browning 1911.

I strongly recommend you get either a Springfield Armory Mil Spec model or a Colt's Series 70 model gun. Both are excellent and customer service is outstanding from Springfield and largely unnecessary with a Colt's.
Old 01-23-2012, 18:20   #4
R0CKETMAN
NRA MEMBER

Have you read this?
http://www.1911addicts.com/showthrea...u-1911-addicts

"Home of the Free because of the Brave"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
R0CKETMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 19:06   #5
bac1023

Please take a look at the guide below.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 19:11   #6
fendertele87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three-Five-Seven View Post
Start with a standard Mil Spec pistol with a five inch barrel. Such a gun is required for many of the interesting games that can be played with a John Browning 1911.

I strongly recommend you get either a Springfield Armory Mil Spec model or a Colt's Series 70 model gun. Both are excellent and customer service is outstanding from Springfield and largely unnecessary with a Colt's.
These are the two um trying to decide from
fendertele87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 19:19   #7
TxGlock9
2014 RACE TIME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigez1 View Post
Hoping for a little advice. I'm haven't had a 1911 for about 20 years and am looking to pick one up. It will just be a range gun to play around with and not a carry gun. I was thinking about something along the lines of a RIA Tactical. I was in the local shop today and they had a used Springfield MC Operator unknown rounds but in good shape for $900. I know it is a superior to the RIA but is it worth twice the money for what I am looking for. Any other advice will be appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Just like BAC's guide says the RIA tactical is a very reliable and good performing 1911. With that said the MC Operator is an amazing 1911 as well. You can't go wrong with either. Both have great reliability. RIA I can't attest can shoot various kinds of ammo without fail. If I were starting a collection and wanted to save a few bucks, I wouldn't hesitate to start it off with a RIA Tactical 1911. Btw be aware that the 2012 RIA tacticals come with a full length rail. If you don't like those go with the current 2011 and prior Tactical version.
Just out of honorable mention have you looked at any STI's? The Spartan in particular...
Old 01-26-2012, 01:29   #8
CD0311

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
No! Don't do this.

You will end up like me. Trying not to spend 2500 on another dream gun!
CD0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 13:53   #9
ca survivor

look at the Springfield Armory RO, good range gun and if need it.......HD
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 13:56   #10
ca survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD0311 View Post
No! Don't do this.

Bac spends our money wisely
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 14:56   #11
jrs93accord

Quote:
Like Bac, I also own many 1911s (81 at last count). He and I own many of the same 1911s. The RIA Tactical is a fine choice.

1911 Forums

For under $500, it is one of the best bargains out there. For a few dollars more, the STI SPARTAN is also another very good choice.....

1911 Forums

As is the RUGER SR1911.

1911 Forums

There is also the American Classic by Metro Arms. This is the hard-chrome Trophy model I picked up from Buds Gun Shop for $591 shipped. It is an excellent shooter.

1911 Forums

Desert Eagle offers up the 1911-G. You can generally find these priced around $650-700. These are fantastic 1911s made in Israel. They have one of the sweetest trigers I have ever pulled.

1911 Forums

Then there is the new Remington 1911-R1 Enhanced. Buds Gun shop was offering these for $737 shipped. Like the American Classic and the STI SPARTAN, it offers all the bells and whistles. Again, another excellent shooter.

1911 Forums

A bad day shooting beats a great day working!

Last edited by jrs93accord; 01-27-2012 at 14:57..
jrs93accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 15:04   #12
arclight610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three-Five-Seven View Post

Just remember that when you buy a GI spec 1911, that they don't come with sights . So, budget accordingly.

Not a problem for me, because I have young eyes. It could be a problem with those that are older.
arclight610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 15:24   #13
Rally Vincent
Bipolar

A Colt series 70 repro would be a great place to start. Very high quality and at as a fantastic base pistols for a custom build.
Niners Club Member - #196
1911 Club Member - #001
"All evil comes from the old.They grow fat on ideas and young men die of them."
Rally Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 18:24   #14
Bodyarmorguy

For $900 the MC Operator is a good deal. You could buy something less expensive....then in six months be wanting something more and regret passing up the MC, just sayin'.
Old 01-27-2012, 19:11   #15
rickrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodyarmorguy View Post
For $900 the MC Operator is a good deal. You could buy something less expensive....then in six months be wanting something more and regret passing up the MC, just sayin'.
I found a TRP for $100 more.
rickrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 15:39   #16
Earlsbud

I feel exactly the opposite about a Milspec gun. Why would I buy a pistol with tiny sights, a spur hammer that bites my hand, a grip safety that makes the gun sit higher in my hand than a beavertail, no magwel bevel, smaller controls, etc... when I could have all the features I want for the same price? The cost to make it an acceptable shooter for ME would be huuuuuge. If it was a dirt cheap used piece for a project gun or if you are into nostalgia then great. Just my .02cents.

Earlsbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 16:00   #17
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD0311 View Post
No! Don't do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
Bac spends our money wisely

bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 17:18   #18
Glolt20-91

I should not have read bac's buyer's guide.

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final - Bill Jordan
Glolt20-91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 16:05   #19
CD0311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glolt20-91 View Post
I should not have read bac's buyer's guide.
I warned you!
CD0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 23:46   #20
cole

Quote:
At $1000 a lot opens up in the 1911. At $1500 I'd just spend a bit more for a Les Baer. Around $700 the Ruger or SA RO gets my vote. Under $500 it's the ATI. More here: The time has come to add a 1911 to the collection! Welcome your thoughts.
- When I was strong they came for the weak but I did nothing. Now I am weak and they come for me.
cole is offline   Reply With Quote