Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:51   #1
tsdsensei

salary comparisons

I was curious if any officers from southern CA could answer a question for me. In looking at LAPD and LASD I noticed a significant difference in salary that struck me as unusual. I assume their benefit package is probably comparable so why would the starting salary and their income level following probation be so different. The Sheriff's deputy's earn considerable more money. If you wished to work in that part of CA I would think that would make the Sheriff's deputy spots much more attractive to bring in new officers. Conversely it would make sense LAPD might have more difficulty filling its ranks while paying less. Any one out there who knows??
tsdsensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 17:40   #2
CW Mock

It's the same way in San Diego best I can see. That seems due to the fact the City of San Diego has pretty bad insurance benefits in relation to out of pocket costs, and pays no offset for retirement either, so the officer ends up covering most of those costs with their salary. The County seems to do a bit of both - better insurance and retirement offset. Maybe its similar in LA? Or are you referring to just the plain "salary" charts that don't factor in retirement/benefits?

I have always wanted to work in San Diego, but between the retirement/insurance thing, and the fact I'd have to give up some of my favorite toys because a mere citizen is not trustworthy with a flash-hider has made me hesitate a bit. Don't know how long I have had an app filled out, but never sent.

Last edited by CW Mock; 01-24-2012 at 17:40..
CW Mock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 20:06   #3
SAR
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

The LAPD vs LASD salaries go back and forth with the salary contracts. During my tenure, every time LASD gets a better contract, we try to beat them the next time. So on and so forth. I guess it depends on when the next contract is going to be.
Old 01-24-2012, 22:24   #4
tsdsensei

salary comparisons

I appreciate the information. It is truly strange the way various agencies and the appropriate governments treat some of their most valuable employees. Being that law enforcement needs the best and brightest it is a real crime that police officers of every genre are not given better consideration.
tsdsensei is offline   Reply With Quote