Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:54   #1
scccdoc

Winchester brass

New to reloading,but have been very diligent in quality control. I've had very few FTF's (fire or feed)though I reload about five different brands.These include Winchester,Federal,Blazer, R&P (Remington),Speer,even PMC. The only real problem I have is with Winchester bought at Wally World,165's and 180's.About 20% fail to seat the Winchester primers that I use for all reloads.I spend more time reseating primers than I would like.I use a "Square Deal" and am quite satisfied because I stay ahead with the number of rounds fired by at least 1000 rds.Suggestions about the Winchester problem,please........DOC
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:06   #2
firefighter4215

I assume from the weights of the bullets you mentioned that you're loading for 40's? I've used a lot of Winchester brass for the 40 and 38 special with no problems. You'd think that using Winchester primers AND brass together would be your best bet for trouble free loading. I'm using CCI 500s.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
firefighter4215 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:07   #3
rpgman
SCGLOCK

I use both an xl650 and a Lyman T-Mag II Turret press and I'm not having that issue, so I can't help.

But, I use some Winchester Cases with both Win and CCI Small pistol primers with no issues.

Greg
rpgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:08   #4
F106 Fan

I have been noticing some brass where the base is actually concave. In this case, with the shell holder essentially grabbing only the rim, the primer punch needs to be much higher.

Look at the brass and decide if the base looks proper. If not, you have a decision to make: separate and keep the brass, knowing you will have to adjust the primer punch to load it OR scrap it.

I don't have any new Winchester brass but some of the Federal 40 S&W certainly looks suspect.

Richard
Old 01-24-2012, 10:12   #5
FLSlim

I've never had a similar problem with Winchester brass in any cal. Maybe F106 has something that might help, check and see??
Florida Glockers Club #1040
Big Dogs Club #1592
FLSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:16   #6
Rumbler_G20

I've used new Winchester rifle and pistol brass off and on for a long time. It is that brand that taught me it is indeed worth the time and trouble to always process new brass (including primer pocket uniforming) prior to use.

So yeah. I've had that problem. With both their pistol and rifle brass.
Rumbler_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:18   #7
scccdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter4215 View Post
I assume from the weights of the bullets you mentioned that you're loading for 40's? I've used a lot of Winchester brass for the 40 and 38 special with no problems. You'd think that using Winchester primers AND brass together would be your best bet for trouble free loading. I'm using CCI 500s.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for the reply firefighter.
Correct me if I am wrong,but CCI primers are larger in diameter.I will try anything to increase productivity and decrease frustration...........DOC
Old 01-24-2012, 10:27   #8
scccdoc

[QUOTE=Rumbler_G20;18479352]I've used new Winchester rifle and pistol brass off and on for a long time. It is that brand that taught me it is indeed worth the time and trouble to always process new brass (including primer pocket uniforming) prior to use.

So yeah. I've had that problem. With both their pistol and rifle brass.
I did an "unscientific" study inspired by "Good brass vs bad brass" and found that the Winchester was the heavier of the brass that I posess.That would (in my mind) translate that into increased times that brass can be reloaded.Guess I'll try CCI's...........DOC
Old 01-24-2012, 10:37   #9
fredj338

What primers are you using? Many, myself included, have had issue sseating Wolf/Tula. They are not all round, kinda makes it an issue getting them in a round hole. Smallest dia primers I have found are the RP. I use them in certain rifle brass known to have small priner pokcets.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:51   #10
scccdoc

[QUOTE=fredj338;18479445]What primers are you using? Many, myself included, have had issue sseating Wolf/Tula. They are not all round, kinda makes it an issue getting them in a round hole. Smallest dia primers I have found are the RP. I use them in certain rifle brass known to have small priner pokcets.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Winchester small pistol.................
Old 01-24-2012, 12:57   #11
firefighter4215

Quote:
Originally Posted by scccdoc View Post
Thanks for the reply firefighter.
Correct me if I am wrong,but CCI primers are larger in diameter.I will try anything to increase productivity and decrease frustration...........DOC
I don't know the dimensions of any primers. I'm using an LCT, and have had no problems with the CCIs. I would say I've had no problems with RP, Win, and somr sort of Russian primer, buy I was given 100 of each to try, so that's not enough to know much with any confidence. I chose the CCI 500s because I was able to buy them locally for $29.99 + tax per thousand, and I thought that they worked pretty well. Maybe I've just been lucky. The price is up 10% now, but that's still ok with me compared to ordering a bazillion at once to get close to that price after the hazmat fee.

firefighter4215 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 13:28   #12
ron59
Bustin Caps

Is it WIN brass or WCC?

WCC is Winchester's military version, it will have crimped primer pockets and be troublesome. But WIN brass is great, IMO.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 16:51   #13
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
I have been noticing some brass where the base is actually concave. In this case, with the shell holder essentially grabbing only the rim, the primer punch needs to be much higher.

Look at the brass and decide if the base looks proper. If not, you have a decision to make: separate and keep the brass, knowing you will have to adjust the primer punch to load it OR scrap it.

I don't have any new Winchester brass but some of the Federal 40 S&W certainly looks suspect.

Richard
ATK brands have been using the concave case head, Federal, Speer, Blazer. I notice no difference in loading or shooting it. It looks funny, but it works fine in 9mm on my Pro1000 and 40 on my 650.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 17:04   #14
F106 Fan

I haven't gotten around to loading any of the Federal 40 S&W but the brass sure looks strange.

Richard
Old 01-24-2012, 21:37   #15
scccdoc

Is it WIN brass or WCC?

WCC is Winchester's military version, it will have crimped primer pockets and be troublesome. But WIN brass is great, IMO.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is marked "WINCHESTER S&W 40"