Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-24-2012, 17:42   #1
ADK_40GLKr

Ranch Gun

20 some years ago when I wanted a deer rifle, I found a used 760 in .308 in the newspaper, and had me a gun!

Today there's AK's, AR's, SBR's, Black Rifles, etc. Ad infinriflum. I've been thinking I'd like a woods-worthy semi a bit lighter than my .308, maybe like a Ruger ranch gun in .223. But when I look at the various rifle forums haven't a clue where to look.

Can anyone give me a crash course on popular contemporary Long guns, particularly pointing me to discussions on the Ruger Ranch Rifle?
Old 01-24-2012, 17:45   #2
smitty704

Watch Hickok45's video about the mini 14...

Black Rifle Club member #704

Last edited by smitty704; 01-24-2012 at 17:45..
smitty704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 17:54   #3
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
If I had a ranch I would keep a 45/70 for a ranch gun most likely a single shot Sharps clone, that's my dream gun
Dalton Wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 17:58   #4
Al Czervik
My arm!

For me, an AR pistol with an EOTech fits the bill. It will do the job on what I need, is easy in/out of the vehicle, and has 30 rounds on tap.
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 18:01   #5
STI

Well I own one and live there, My #1 rifle is a Marlin bolt action 22mag, synthetic stock and just a tool here, my next rifle would by my Rock River AR15, they both get lots of use, Glock 32 always goes with me. What I thought I would use changed as soon as I got involved in what works and what is impractical.

Last edited by STI; 01-24-2012 at 18:02..
STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 18:02   #6
Adjuster

To me the perfect ranch gun would be an SKS. I would buy a closet full of them for all my ranch hands and hand them out when rustlers or wolves were up to no good. I would also make my ranch hands refer to me as Mr. Cartwright but thats another thread/topic/issue.

/
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 18:08   #7
collim1
Shower Time!

I personally carry a shotgun or my bolt action .270 on the farm and at the hunting camp.

You say ranch gun, but what threat/pests are you concerned about having to deal with?

A scoped bolt action .243 or .270 is a darn handy little gun to have. It will kill a deer if the opportunity arises or kill a coyote lurking around the chicken house even at long range.

If worried about meth heads sneaking on your property for a cook (dont laugh, its a big concern in some areas) then I would lean toward a AR15 or Mini14 in .223 with a handgun on your person also. If the price is right the mini14 is a great deal, trouble is for the price I often see on them I would rather pay the extra $75 and get a AR.

I also think a pump shotgun with a variety of shells on hand is a pretty versatile gun. I'd keep Federal LE flite-control in the tube with some slugs and #4 shot on hand as well. The Federal load patterns well in my Mossberg and will still get 3-5 pellets on target at 40-50yds.

Heck if your truck is nearby it wouldn't be a big deal to have a pistol on your person, a AR, and shotgun in the truck.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 18:10   #8
Brucev

I don't own a ranch. But for 20 years I've thoroughly enjoyed using a M-1 Garand for deer hunting, varmint control, etc. IT is exceedingly effective in the extreme. I've never had a deer need a second shot. As to various sorts of feral dogs, etc., they get a dose of M-2 ball... works every time. If i were to ever own or live on a ranch, I think a M-1 Garand loaded with M-2 ball would handle just about any situation that might arise. JMHO. Sincerely. Brucev.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 18:11   #9
High Altitude

Come on guys, get with the times.

Ranch gun of the future.

General Firearms Forum

Last edited by High Altitude; 01-24-2012 at 18:12..
High Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 18:12   #10
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucev View Post
I don't own a ranch. But for 20 years I've thoroughly enjoyed using a M-1 Garand for deer hunting, varmint control, etc. IT is exceedingly effective in the extreme. I've never had a deer need a second shot. As to various sorts of feral dogs, etc., they get a dose of M-2 ball... works every time. If i were to ever own or live on a ranch, I think a M-1 Garand loaded with M-2 ball would handle just about any situation that might arise. JMHO. Sincerely. Brucev.
Very nice choice. I have also seen alot of M1 carbines in the back window of the farm trucks.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 18:13   #11
Nestor
Lean & Mean

My understanding of the idea of the ranch carbine/rifle is that it's a super-utility rifle. Something that will take care of the coyotes, fox, occasional deer and still will be capable of providing HD firepower when needed. One rifle for all the task, so it must be simple and reliable as the weather changes with all the seasons. Then we have a personal preference factor - for me - anything black, tactical is just unappealing to say at least. For You it may be the other way around. Your carbine must be light, points naturally and have proven record of working under dusty conditions. I would say that the calibers (for the semi-auto) that fit your bill would be:
.223 (Ruger Mini 14)
30 Carbine (M1 Carbine)
7.62x39 (Ruger Mini 30 or SKS)
Take your time, look around, there is lot to learn about the ballistics, ergonomics and pointability of those guns. Good luck and keep us updated, please.

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 18:24   #12
vafish

I'd get an AR15 in 6.8 SPC.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 18:32   #13
Rick O'Shay

My new "love" is a Remington Model 5 in .22 mag, with a Simmons .22mag scope 3-9X30.
I zeroed it last week, and it is quite awesome!
But ranch rifle? I guess I need to take my Mini-14 to the range and try it out. Have it in a synthetic folding stock and haven't ever fired it. Looks like big fun!
Rick O'Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 18:36   #14
ADK_40GLKr

Thanks for all the quick input, though some of it was baffling. When I said "no clue", that means what the heck is EOTech, SKS, AR, AK, ETC.?

Yeah, looking for something versatile, light, maneuverable, good for 2 legged & 4 legged critters. We have coyote, deer, all kinds of paper, plastic and tin targets, and a maximum security correctional institution just a few miles away. (not so worried about those INSIDE, as what their visitors might do in their free time)

At one point I was thinking a Remington semi .243 might be the ticket, but I'm leaning more toward the Ruger at this point. Which of the various rifle forums on GT might include more discussion and comparisons of these platforms?
Old 01-24-2012, 18:50   #15
ratf51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton Wayne View Post
If I had a ranch I would keep a 45/70 for a ranch gun most likely a single shot Sharps clone, that's my dream gun
You are so old school!
ratf51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 18:55   #16
Rick O'Shay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK_40GLKr View Post
Thanks for all the quick input, though some of it was baffling. When I said "no clue", that means what the heck is EOTech, SKS, AR, AK, ETC.?

Yeah, looking for something versatile, light, maneuverable, good for 2 legged & 4 legged critters. We have coyote, deer, all kinds of paper, plastic and tin targets, and a maximum security correctional institution just a few miles away. (not so worried about those INSIDE, as what their visitors might do in their free time)

At one point I was thinking a Remington semi .243 might be the ticket, but I'm leaning more toward the Ruger at this point. Which of the various rifle forums on GT might include more discussion and comparisons of these platforms?
The Ruger Mini-30 might be more to your liking, but the Mini-14 now has a very nice reputation.
Rick O'Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 18:58   #17
Al Czervik
My arm!

Where my ranch is located, the gun of choice for many years has been the .30-30. It does the job. I've used everything from a .30-30 to a nice .308 bolt gun, but most of the stuff I shoot is moving and in the 30-100 yard range.
The older I get, the more I like the ease and speed of a dot. One of the big things for me is the ability to get in and out of my vehicle without destroying the interior with the rifle, which I have done. I drive nice vehicles; so, I 'd rather keep them that way.
I live in a different state, so the AR pistol facilitates all of my needs in 1 weapon without having SBR issues, and I can keep it concealed and loaded.
We'll see how long it takes for the "it's useless" and "are you engaged in drive by shootings" comments.
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 19:11   #18
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK_40GLKr View Post

EoTEch - A red dot sight. http://www.eotech-inc.com/

AR - Short for AR15, semi auto version of the M16. Now available in many calibers.General Firearms Forum

AK - Short for AK47, the Kalashnikov. 7.62x39 medium velocity round. Now also available in the AK-74 5.45x39
General Firearms Forum

SKS is the precursor to the AK. Machined receiver, same 7.62x39 round, wood stock, no pistol grip, generally has a fixed magazine. General Firearms Forum

I think something like my AR15 would make a great ranch rifle.
General Firearms Forum
.25-223 custom barrel and a 1-4X Redfield scope.
educate children." -- Confucius

Last edited by vafish; 01-24-2012 at 19:14..
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 19:41   #19
jwhite75
Gubmint Worker

To work around a ranch and light and handy....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=270975014

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=270485909

On the upper and nicer end...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=270319680

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=270503896
Old 01-24-2012, 20:51   #20
Smashy

The most popular Mini14 forum around...

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/
Smashy is offline   Reply With Quote