Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-24-2012, 20:06   #1
.50 cal

Shelter for BOB/GHB

Hello, I looking to upgrade from my standard tarp to something better, I will keep this shelter in my bags and would like it to be small and lightweight, I'd like several tie down points and a durable material, the item I'm currently considering is the proforce all weather shelter, it is 10x10 and comes with stakes, any suggestions? advice? thank you
Old 01-24-2012, 20:42   #2
jellis11
Yippee-ki-yay

I have a reusable emergency tarp that Dave Canterbury uses. Actually two of them. I like it a lot. Planning a few trips in the WV forests that will use it as a main shelter. Just my .02!
jellis11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 23:14   #3
Lionhill

Tent tarp:

Canvas, you can have a fire quiet close to the opening, or a micro wood inside.

LH
Lionhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:37   #4
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionhill View Post
Tent tarp: Tarp Tent Set Up - YouTube

Canvas, you can have a fire quiet close to the opening, or a micro wood inside.

LH
Nahh that thing is huge and heavy, expecially when it gets wet, which will take forever to dry. Also Poly and Nylon will melt, but Cotton Canvas will burn.

The OP wants small, lightweight. He needs to look at hiking tarps or something made by Tarptent or Go lite.

http://www.tarptent.com/

http://www.golite.com/tents

All I got to say is it ain't cheap, but an 2.7lb OD green Go-Lite Shangri La 3 fly retrofitted with a chimmney setup and you are in business

Survival/Preparedness Forum

Last edited by Bilbo Bagins; 01-25-2012 at 08:38..
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:51   #5
Babynine

/\ That Tipi stove setup seems great. I have been looking ino the Kifaru Tipi and stove setups for awhile now. Its amazing how light some of that stuff is.

I have a Euraka TCOP one man combat tent that weighs 7lbs with steaks and lines. And thats a one man tent with no heat! I love the thing, but it is heavy.

The tarp in the op seems great as well. I may have to get one as the $1100+ for a Kifaru Tipi and stove is far above my budget. Its far lighter than my TCOP.
Babynine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 14:04   #6
Aceman

Catoma bednet + Tarp

But I live in florida...
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 14:13   #7
Nine Shooter
Average Guy

What kind of stove is that? That looks nifty!
Nine Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 14:29   #8
dherloc
X-Nuc

http://www.combatreform.org/ECOTATSYSTEMS/index.htm

What about this?
dherloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 15:47   #9
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Shooter View Post

What kind of stove is that? That looks nifty!
http://www.titaniumgoat.com/cstove.html

You know between tipi tents, hammock camping, ultralight hikers with ther cuben tarps, there is so many subcultures and small business support it. Its almost as bad as gun owners.

Last edited by Bilbo Bagins; 01-25-2012 at 15:48..
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 16:53   #10
wjv

I have a couple light weight tarps; some paracord and some 8" galvanized nail/spikes.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 00:36   #11
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
i run a tarp and a usgi bivy bag with my MSS.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:10   #12
humanguerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Bagins View Post
+1. Longterm I'd want more tent, but my tried, true, and simple old Golite Cave2 is in the BOB. Great ultralite 2-3 person tarp tent packs into 4x8" package and weighs 1.2 lbs with the fixin's.

Last edited by humanguerrilla; 01-28-2012 at 04:10..
humanguerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:49   #13
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .50 cal View Post
Hello, I looking to upgrade from my standard tarp to something better, I will keep this shelter in my bags and would like it to be small and lightweight, I'd like several tie down points and a durable material, the item I'm currently considering is the proforce all weather shelter, it is 10x10 and comes with stakes, any suggestions? advice? thank you
That's pretty large, you might do better where it's cold with something smaller to conserve your body temperature.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 15:09   #14
walkin man

I continue to read these threads where the posters seem to think a shtf situation is going to be like an extended camping/hiking trip.
Build a fire in your stove for cooking and warmth and all sorts of bad things can happen. 1-Bad guys will smell the smoke or food odors and hunt you down causing a confrontation that you may not survive.
2-Its extra weight you have to carry causing you to lose mobility and burn more energy.

Learn to think like a fugitive and not be seen. If you have to cook food, then eat and move to a better location to sleep. Better yet, eat it cold if you can. Find a natural windbreak or rain shelter to sleep in. Try to always remain unseen till you can get to your BOL. Travel at night and lay up during the day. Predators will seek the easy prey first, don't be it.
walkin man
Old 01-31-2012, 15:57   #15
Unistat

I have a Coghlan's tube tent in my GHB. Not much better than a tarp, lol, but enough to keep the rain off my face.
Old 01-31-2012, 16:24   #16
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

ENO Pro Fly Tarp looks interesting...

Old 01-31-2012, 22:52   #17
Lone Kimono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Bagins View Post
Nahh that thing is huge and heavy, expecially when it gets wet, which will take forever to dry. Also Poly and Nylon will melt, but Cotton Canvas will burn.

The OP wants small, lightweight. He needs to look at hiking tarps or something made by Tarptent or Go lite.

http://www.tarptent.com/

http://www.golite.com/tents

All I got to say is it ain't cheap, but an 2.7lb OD green Go-Lite Shangri La 3 fly retrofitted with a chimmney setup and you are in business

Do those come with the hole in the top for the stove? The Kifaru is out of my price range as well.

Last edited by Lone Kimono; 01-31-2012 at 22:54..
Lone Kimono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:23   #18
Babynine

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkin man View Post
I continue to read these threads where the posters seem to think a shtf situation is going to be like an extended camping/hiking trip.
Build a fire in your stove for cooking and warmth and all sorts of bad things can happen. 1-Bad guys will smell the smoke or food odors and hunt you down causing a confrontation that you may not survive.
2-Its extra weight you have to carry causing you to lose mobility and burn more energy.

Learn to think like a fugitive and not be seen. If you have to cook food, then eat and move to a better location to sleep. Better yet, eat it cold if you can. Find a natural windbreak or rain shelter to sleep in. Try to always remain unseen till you can get to your BOL. Travel at night and lay up during the day. Predators will seek the easy prey first, don't be it.
walkin man
Up here in Wisconsin fire is the only way to dry clothing in the cold winter months. And wet clothing can kill you dead when the weather gets nasty.

Some dont realize that there is basicly no way to prevent geting wet in the winter months, at least in cold climates. And when its cold, even wool socks might take days to dry without fire, if you can dry tham at all. Sweating, and even water vapor in our breath can condense and make clothing wet while in a tent.

Also many of the Tipi and stove setups are meant to be pulled in a "pulk" or snowshoe sled. The Kafarus and that Go Lite are the only ones I have seen that are almost backpackable.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:30   #19
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babynine View Post
Up here in Wisconsin fire is the only way to dry clothing in the cold winter months. And wet clothing can kill you dead when the weather gets nasty.

Some dont realize that there is basicly no way to prevent geting wet in the winter months, at least in cold climates. And when its cold, even wool socks might take days to dry without fire, if you can dry tham at all. Sweating, and even water vapor in our breath can condense and make clothing wet while in a tent.

Also many of the Tipi and stove setups are meant to be pulled in a "pulk" or snowshoe sled. The Kafarus and that Go Lite are the only ones I have seen that are almost backpackable.
My Stepfather was in the battle of the bulge and he changed his socks twice in 6 weeks living in the snow! He said that anyone who took off their boots let alone their socks got frost bite, period. He only got to change his because he took shrapnel a couple of times and spent a day in the MASH while they removed half a pound of metal, then back to the line. What a generation.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:58   #20
walkin man

What I a saying though is, if you must build a fire, get it done, dry your clothes, cook, whatever you have to do, then move to a safer location some distance away. Just cause the fire is nice and warm doesn't mean you have to lay up and enjoy it all night.
You would be surprised how far wood smoke smell will carry, especially when its humid.
walkin man