SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:51   #1
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

SBR question

Ive heard that once you have a registered sbr it has to stay in that configuration, as in You make a sbr ar15 you can't go switching uppers around. Is this true?
Old 01-23-2012, 09:27   #2
M&P15T
Beard One

And if so, wouldn't the same apply for an NFA lower? Can't go switching uppers, right?

Actually, it would make sense that with an NFA lower, the upper wouldn't matter unless it was an SBR upper.

Last edited by M&P15T; 01-23-2012 at 09:29..
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:46   #3
irishbum

You can have whatever/any uppers you desire, as long as you keep the original configuration you registered. Also if you want you can send a letter to the ATF notifying them of the changes.

So sipmly put you register a 7.5 in you have to keep the 7.5 and can run a 10.5, 16,20,24,11.5, or whatever as long as you keep the 7.5. Anytime you make a permanent change you have to notify the ATF.
irishbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:52   #4
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

Good to know.
Old 01-23-2012, 14:56   #5
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbum View Post
You can have whatever/any uppers you desire, as long as you keep the original configuration you registered. Also if you want you can send a letter to the ATF notifying them of the changes.

So sipmly put you register a 7.5 in you have to keep the 7.5 and can run a 10.5, 16,20,24,11.5, or whatever as long as you keep the 7.5. Anytime you make a permanent change you have to notify the ATF.
ditto on the above advice. Also anytime you transfer or move it ( SBR ) across states lines, you have to let BATF know also. Silly but I guess this rule is what make BATF useful
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 15:56   #6
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post
ditto on the above advice. Also anytime you transfer or move it ( SBR ) across states lines, you have to let BATF know also. Silly but I guess this rule is what make BATF useful
Both of these. Also, if you file the Form 1 or 4 for a 10.5" barrel, don't have a 7.5" laying around, as it could potentially create some legal issues. When filing a Form 1, pick ONE caliber, and ONE barrel length to file for - if you want more listed on your paperwork, then wait until your form is approved and send in an amendment letter. Just having one configuration listed is less likely to annoy the inspector that gets your paperwork. However, as others have stated, you only have to notify the ATF of a PERMANENT change of configuration. So, if you file for a 10.5" and want to have a 12.5" as well, you're OK to do that.

Before transporting your SBR across state lines, you have to file a Form 5320.20 - this form can also be used for notifying the ATF of a permanent change of address(form is required for out-of-state move, optional use of form or a simple typed letter for in-state). If you are taking it somewhere you might visit frequently (Say, an out-of-state relative, or a shooting range just on the other side of a nearby state line) you can file the 5320.20 for a period of up to 365 days (inclusive). I just sent one in that covered 20 January 2012 - 19 January 2013, for example. Not sure if you can file it for longer, but that's the longest I have ever heard of one being submitted for.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 21:12   #7
jp3975

You have to notify atf you are transporting across state lines? That is beyond retarded. Do you HAVE to do this? Are there exemptions?

I live about 30 miles from LA and 50m from TX. Im in all three states several times a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
If you are taking it somewhere you might visit frequently (Say, an out-of-state relative, or a shooting range just on the other side of a nearby state line) you can file the 5320.20 for a period of up to 365 days (inclusive). I just sent one in that covered 20 January 2012 - 19 January 2013, for example. Not sure if you can file it for longer, but that's the longest I have ever heard of one being submitted for.
Ah...that's a relief. Still a pain tough.

Last edited by jp3975; 01-23-2012 at 21:15..
jp3975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 23:11   #8
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp3975 View Post
You have to notify atf you are transporting across state lines? That is beyond retarded. Do you HAVE to do this? Are there exemptions?

I live about 30 miles from LA and 50m from TX. Im in all three states several times a week.

Ah...that's a relief. Still a pain tough.
I believe the only exemption is if the receiver crosses state lines without the appropriate parts to assemble an SBR. IE: 16" barrel installed, no short barrel present, or take the receiver with no upper/barrel at all.

If the SBR is complete, functional, and in an SBR configuration you MUST notify the ATF in writing before doing so. It would also be in your best interest to have the signed and approved 5320.20 in your possession before you leave. (You have to submit 2 copies, one of which is signed/approved and returned to you) The process to get the signed form back takes 1-2 weeks, in my experience.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:21   #9
noway

What you really take that chance and not notify BATF, get stop or worst , involved in a shooting and then have you SBR and $200.00 gone and 3-5yrs in prison ?

Also on the SBR, you will need to re-stamp the barrel and parts. This was a recently change in SBR manufactoring that BATF threw in to really monkey things up. I think it's like 1/16" or higher letters and so deep.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:42   #10
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post
What you really take that chance and not notify BATF, get stop or worst , involved in a shooting and then have you SBR and $200.00 gone and 3-5yrs in prison ?

Also on the SBR, you will need to re-stamp the barrel and parts. This was a recently change in SBR manufactoring that BATF threw in to really monkey things up. I think it's like 1/16" or higher letters and so deep.
This is the first I have heard of any changes to the engraving requirements. They already required a letter height greater than 1/16" however.
Old 01-24-2012, 19:31   #11
bigmoney890

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Both of these. Also, if you file the Form 1 or 4 for a 10.5" barrel, don't have a 7.5" laying around, as it could potentially create some legal issues. When filing a Form 1, pick ONE caliber, and ONE barrel length to file for - if you want more listed on your paperwork, then wait until your form is approved and send in an amendment letter. Just having one configuration listed is less likely to annoy the inspector that gets your paperwork. However, as others have stated, you only have to notify the ATF of a PERMANENT change of configuration. So, if you file for a 10.5" and want to have a 12.5" as well, you're OK to do that.

Before transporting your SBR across state lines, you have to file a Form 5320.20 - this form can also be used for notifying the ATF of a permanent change of address(form is required for out-of-state move, optional use of form or a simple typed letter for in-state). If you are taking it somewhere you might visit frequently (Say, an out-of-state relative, or a shooting range just on the other side of a nearby state line) you can file the 5320.20 for a period of up to 365 days (inclusive). I just sent one in that covered 20 January 2012 - 19 January 2013, for example. Not sure if you can file it for longer, but that's the longest I have ever heard of one being submitted for.

So, does this work for the opposite as well? For example, if i had a 16" upper AND a 10.5" upper, i could interchange them as long as the change isn't permanent? Or does this only apply to an already registered SBR?
bigmoney890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 19:33   #12
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoney890 View Post
So, does this work for the opposite as well? For example, if i had a 16" upper AND a 10.5" upper, i could interchange them as long as the change isn't permanent? Or does this only apply to an already registered SBR?
Putting a 10.5" upper on a non-SBR registered rifle lower is a federal felony.
Old 01-24-2012, 19:34   #13
bigmoney890

Ok, so it only works if you already have registered it as an SBR then?
bigmoney890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 19:41   #14
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoney890 View Post
Ok, so it only works if you already have registered it as an SBR then?
Yep. An SBR-registered lower can have a short barrel or a 16"+ barrel. If it's a non-SBR lower, you cannot go shorter than 16" under any circumstances. While you can get around this with a pinned/welded flash hider that brings the barrel length past 16", thats just a 16" barrel with less bore length, and isn't considered a <16" barrel by the ATF.
Old 01-24-2012, 19:48   #15
hatidua

Anyone that is seriously considering an SBR, that does not currently own one, should really spend an afternoon shooting one owned by someone else. The novelty wears off very quickly. If I had it to do over, I'd never have done it....and now I have an engraved lower that I'm basically stuck with (anyone want to buy a lower with my name & town engraved on it?! -didn't think so).
hatidua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 19:52   #16
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatidua View Post
Anyone that is seriously considering an SBR, that does not currently own one, should really spend an afternoon shooting one owned by someone else. The novelty wears off very quickly. If I had it to do over, I'd never have done it....and now I have an engraved lower that I'm basically stuck with (anyone want to buy a lower with my name & town engraved on it?! -didn't think so).
I'm the opposite, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I might have a slightly different rail and muzzle brake, and possibly an 11.5" instead of a 10.5" barrel... but I wouldn't give up on having such a compact weapon. It's handy, lighter than a comparable 14.5" or 16" AR, and I can still reach as far I need to with all the accuracy I need.

hati: How did you get your SBR engraved? Depending on how it was done, how deep it is, and WHERE, you may be able to have the engraving removed, and have the area recoated/blued/anodized...
Old 01-24-2012, 20:20   #17
zhix

That is why I spent the extra money on a factory built SBR, I didn't want a lower with my name and address. OTOH I don't think it would be easy to sell an SBR without taking a huge loss anyhow, and I don't like mine because it didn't work when I got it and the company's customer service and repair sucked.

Next SBR AR I get will either be a Colt, or I will have a lower 'manufactured' and engraved by a well known smith that's in my area.
zhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 21:24   #18
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhix View Post
That is why I spent the extra money on a factory built SBR, I didn't want a lower with my name and address. OTOH I don't think it would be easy to sell an SBR without taking a huge loss anyhow, and I don't like mine because it didn't work when I got it and the company's customer service and repair sucked.

Next SBR AR I get will either be a Colt, or I will have a lower 'manufactured' and engraved by a well known smith that's in my area.
Who did you buy a pre-built SBR from?
Old 01-25-2012, 14:06   #19
zhix

Stag Arms, believe it or not.
zhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 15:42   #20
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhix View Post
Stag Arms, believe it or not.
Now that you mention it, I seem to remember a thread in the BRF about that...