Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:25   #1
Roger65

Question regarding AOJ

Hi Mas, first off I would like to thank you for taking the time to answer all of these posts

I have a question regarding the "jeopardy" part of the AOJ rule. My question arose from reading a thread in the carry forum where it was mentioned that one must not "bring a gun to a fistfight", that drawing was an inappropriate use of force against a physical beating from an opponent of equal size.

My situation is a little unusual in this regard. In 2004, at the age of 39, I underwent cataract surgery in both eyes. My family has a history of early onset cataracts. The surgery has left me with a plastic lens implant in each eye. The doctor told me that any sharp blow to the face might dislodge one or both of the lenses, leaving me mostly blind in that eye.

So my question is, given the fact that fistfighting would have a high likelyhood of leaving me with a permanent disability, how does this change the jeopardy portion of
my AOJ picture. Also complicating the issue is the fact that I am 6'2" and weigh 230, and can appear intimidating to those who don't know me.

Of course I realize that avoidance is always the first and best step, but what are my options if cornered?

Thanks again for your time,
Roger

my
Roger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 14:06   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

The key thing is, as soon as it appears that the individual is going to physically assault you, shout loudly, "I have an injury! If you hit me, I could (go blind/die/whatever your doctors have documentably told you)!"

If he continues to attack after being so advised, it goes far toward demonstrating that his intention was indeed to cause blindness, death, paralysis, or whatever, now making the jeopardy factor much more clear.

The same would be true for any number of medical conditions.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 15:30   #3
Roger65

Thanks for the reply, that makes perfect sense, and I would have never thought of it.
Thanks again, Roger
Roger65 is offline   Reply With Quote