Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-24-2012, 23:03   #1
KyleMN

Carry Gun for The Wife

She has her mind set on a S&W 437, I consider it more of a back up gun and I want her to consider other options. She loves my G30 and I've suggested a G19 but she is pretty stuck on revolvers. I'm new to carrying and pistols so what are some other options out there and how can I open her up to semi autos. I just don't like the idea of only 4 rounds of .38, it just doesn't seem adequate considering what else is out there but its better than nothing.
KyleMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 23:29   #2
WoodenPlank
Who?

She needs to carry what she is comfortable with - be it a semi-auto, a J-frame, or whatever. So long as she is comfortable with her chosen weapon, and proficient enough to use it for self defense, then I'd suggest letting her have her pick. Over time, you can introduce her to other platforms, calibers, etc. and give her chances to revise what she wants.

I *would* suggest showing her a 642 or 442 over the 437, though, as the hammerless design is going to be a lot more snag-free than the full spurred hammer.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 00:01   #3
bruzer

Revolvers have been around a long time. They are the only thing that pleases some people and they do a great job. When I shoot Practical Pistol (IDPA Training) at the local range the revolver guys are constantly reloading. For me I have 17 in the gun and with two mags on the hip I have 34 rounds on standby. So with all that said, if she is willing to go and do a little training she will either continue to love a revolver or look to the dark side of the semi-autos and their never ending rounds (sorry that's TV). Of coarse if she is unable to rack the slide she will be in a hurt locker with a semi-auto. A little training will iron out what is best for her.
Good luck and stay safe,
Mike
bruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 00:18   #4
KyleMN

She likes the hammer exposed so she can shoot single action. She can also rack the slide on my g30 fine she likes how simple revolvers are though
KyleMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 00:49   #5
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

I was so happy when my wife said she would like to get a gun, that I signed her up for a beginners handgun course. They had her shoot many calibers, semi-auto/revolver. She said she wanted a S & W 642 and I was so happy she wanted to carry, I bought it for her.

She passed her carry permit course and said she also wanted a Beretta Tomcat, I was so happy she wanted more then one gun I bought her the Inox model and put pearl grips on it with rosebuds on each panel.

End of story---I am still happy, she is still carrying, and she still goes to the range with the whole extended family to shoot.

Moral: Just be happy she wants to protect herself and get whatever she wants.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:42   #6
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleMN View Post
She likes the hammer exposed so she can shoot single action. She can also rack the slide on my g30 fine she likes how simple revolvers are though
Under duress, she will never have time to actually employ the revolver as a single-action. Plus, the full hammer can become snagged in a pocket or purse very easily, making it significantly more difficult to draw and use. Teaching her to shoot any defense revolver in double action will definitely help her.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:40   #7
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Under duress, she will never have time to actually employ the revolver as a single-action. Plus, the full hammer can become snagged in a pocket or purse very easily, making it significantly more difficult to draw and use. Teaching her to shoot any defense revolver in double action will definitely help her.
Yep.

Not to mention that shooting a snubbie on DA is a lot more accurate than SA because the gun is too small and you need a consistant, firm hold on it.

As far as having 34-rounds on tap while shooting IDPA versus the wheelguns people reloading all the time...I'm sure that the OP's wife will take that into consideration if she were to want the wheelgun for IDPA shooting. But in real life, where most of us live, the chances are small enough for anybody to use a firearm for self defense much less prolonged combat.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:46   #8
Chup

The best way is her way. Rent, barrow, whatever. The more she tries the the easier it will be for her to make a decision. You will never decide for her.
Chup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:48   #9
Aceman

I think she needs to spend a little time considering her style of carry, clothing, concealment etc...

And then think about the gun.

And the SA of the revolver is a bad idea. Need to go DA for SD.

Try this: Have her put the revolver in her purse and you get in the lane next to her. Put out sils at 10 feet and start saying "Hey baby I'm gonna ..." and start shooting with the glock. Let her pull the revolver and see how she does extracting it from the purse, cocking it, and killing your target before you shoot hers.

In the end though - whatever she wants/is comfortable with is where you go.

Last edited by Aceman; 01-25-2012 at 10:49..
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:59   #10
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

And then start thinking about getting her one of those hidden compartment purses with snatch resistant shoulder strap if she were to want to purse carry.
Old 01-25-2012, 19:26   #11
Sgt. Rambo

My wife has shot my entire collection and decided what she likes... She carries a Bersa .380 Model 83 (no longer made) but actually PREFERS my Colt 1911 w/Pachmyer grips. She shoots better than me and it irks the ***** out of me... She just has the natural knack for it. Puts it all together easy.
I've pushed her toward revolvers for her pocketbook gun but she prefers the .380 and practices with it. Whatever your wife is willing to practice with and comfortable with, it up to her. Enjoy and keep us posted.
Old 01-25-2012, 19:41   #12
Glock40man

How about a S&W 60 Ladysmith 357.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:14   #13
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Best thing is to go to a range that rents guns and let her find out what she likes best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:24   #14
sam03

Take her to the gun stores and let you handle a couple and figure out what she likes then rent them and let her shoot a couple

Mine picked out the Sig P238. I enjoyed shooting it so much i getting one for my self too!
sam03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:38   #15
dabigguns357

I'll make a long story short.

My wife didn't really care about guns and i did,I went shooting all the time and she didn't.After a couple years she got a bit upset and actually said i was cheating on her.I got very upset and forced her into going with me one time.

I took several guns just in case she actually wanted to shoot something.Turns out she did and went from a .38 to a 9mm to a .357 mag and even my .357sig.She settled and liked my Rossi .357 with .38 rounds in it and i gladly gave it to her.she went shooting a lot more after that (and never accused me of cheating aagain).

Anyway one night a long time ago she found her self in a bad situation that ended well by shear luck.We went togather and took some lessons,she got properly trained,got her permit and started carrying the revolver.

She carried it for about 2 years even during pregnancy(she looks hot in a shoulder holster minus the tie down straps).After she and several women all went to the range together she decided she wanted something more and i was happy to buy anything she wanted(no questions asked).

This is what she carries now,a Glock 23 and she loves it,uses it and shoots it quite well.
General Firearms Forum

Noticed how i used her and she alot.She is a person first and my wife second.She has a mind and a choice,i'm just the cash cow that rolls the money over for her guns then smiles when she tell the sales person to go to h*ll if they try and sell her something she doesn't want.

Last edited by dabigguns357; 01-26-2012 at 07:44..
dabigguns357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:56   #16
jwhite75
Gubmint Worker

Id she wants an aceesible hammer...why not the 438. Snag free and still able to use single action if need be. The humpback is as "pretty" but will be more functional than the 437 if she is purse carrying.

I second any notion to let her pick what she wants. If she isn happy with it she wont carry it then youve wasted money.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:07   #17
M2 Carbine

You can not pick her gun for her and unless she has shot several different guns she doesn't know what she will like.
I have a range where I sometimes teach women to shoot. I have a lot of guns for them to try. Seldom does a woman (or man) end up with the gun they thought they wanted.

Go to a store/range that has a selection of guns to try and let her shoot as many different guns as possible. Then she will have an idea of what will work for her.

A 5 shot DA/SA revolver is not a bad choice, IF the person will learn to shoot it well.
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:07   #18
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
I just don't like the idea of only 4 rounds of .38
4? Is she going to be carrying it with an empty chamber?
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:10   #19
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigguns357 View Post
I'll make a long story short.

My wife didn't really care about guns and i did,I went shooting all the time and she didn't.After a couple years she got a bit upset and actually said i was cheating on her.I got very upset and forced her into going with me one time.

I took several guns just in case she actually wanted to shoot something.Turns out she did and went from a .38 to a 9mm to a .357 mag and even my .357sig.She settled and liked my Rossi .357 with .38 rounds in it and i gladly gave it to her.she went shooting a lot more after that (and never accused me of cheating aagain).

Anyway one night a long time ago she found her self in a bad situation that ended well by shear luck.We went togather and took some lessons,she got properly trained,got her permit and started carrying the revolver.

She carried it for about 2 years even during pregnancy(she looks hot in a shoulder holster minus the tie down straps).After she and several women all went to the range together she decided she wanted something more and i was happy to buy anything she wanted(no questions asked).

This is what she carries now,a Glock 23 and she loves it,uses it and shoots it quite well.
General Firearms Forum

Noticed how i used her and she alot.She is a person first and my wife second.She has a mind and a choice,i'm just the cash cow that rolls the money over for her guns then smiles when she tell the sales person to go to h*ll if they try and sell her something she doesn't want.
Beautiful pic, for sure. But how often does she carry, and how well is she concealing that? Any concerns of printing, and thus hesitation on her part to carry in certain situations?

Many love a gun like she has, and carry it when they can; but then also have a smaller gun for the more difficult concealment days. Does she sometimes carry a smaller gun for such occasions?

ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:13   #20
CBennett

Quote:
She has her mind set on a S&W 437, I consider it more of a back up gun and I want her to consider other options. She loves my G30 and I've suggested a G19 but she is pretty stuck on revolvers. I'm new to carrying and pistols so what are some other options out there and how can I open her up to semi autos. I just don't like the idea of only 4 rounds of .38, it just doesn't seem adequate considering what else is out there but its better than nothing.
Ruger LCR is my recommendation with the big dot sight set up...still think its the best gun for the $#$ and by far the Revolver with the best TRIGGER PULL for the $$.

And unless she/you are actually going to the range and getting in some good gun failure drills so that if a semi auto goes CLICK NO BANG...she IMMEDIATELY knows what to do stick with the revolver not that they are infallible but a lot less goes wrong with them and nice part is they dont stovepipe, you cant have a bad mag, mag spring or follower messing something up...and if it goes click no bang...instead of having to remember the racking drill for a semi auto malfunction clearing...all you do is pull the trigger again to get to the next round.

Case in point my wife likes my Ruger SR9c(and she liked the Glock 23 b4 that) but when I slipped a snap cap/dummy round into a mag and it just went bang, bang,bang, CLICK......she had absolutley no idea what was wrong or what to do...she tried pulling the triggger again(which on a revolver would have got her to the next round at least) then looked over at me and shrugged her shoulders...what if that was a round with a bad primer and a bad guy was breaking in...she would have had no clue how to clear that...and I can only get her to the range a couple times a year...so for her its a Taurus CH85 all the way...till i can gut the funds together for a Ruger LCR...which I like over the S&W because of the trigger.

So if she is willing to train go semi auto(unless she wants the revolver make it HER choice) but if its just a occasional thing and she may under duress not remember how to clear a jam in a semi auto..I think the only SAFE bet is a Revolver.

Last edited by CBennett; 01-26-2012 at 10:16..
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote