SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:25   #1
CDR_Glock

Recommended ammunition for compact and subcompact pistols/snubby revolvers

Mas

Reading Stopping Power, by Marshall and Sank, going from 5" to a 3" barrel leads to decreased velocities. Their conclusion was to use lighter, high velocity ammunition.

What are your recommendations of ammo for the following gun type/calibers?

Compact 40 SW, Subcompact 40 SW
Compact 45 ACP, Subcompact 45 ACP
Compact 9mm, Subcompact 9mm
Microcompact 9mm
Snub nosed 38 and 357 Magnum

My opposite question for longer calibers:

Is there a law of diminishing returns for 357 magnums beyond 5" barrels? Or is there more effectiveness going to 6, 7, 8 inch, or even longer?

iPad/Tapatalk

My YouTube Channel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
CDR_Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 17:30   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

CDR, Marshall and Sanow weren't the only ones, nor the first, to notice that velocity dimishes in short barrels.

With today's ammunition, in the shorter barrel guns particularly, it is very important to choose high-tech bullets that were expressly designed to open up at lower velocities.

In short barrel 9mms, I'm partial to 125-127 grain JHPs at 1250 nominal velocity from service pistol barrels (four-inch range). They all seem to work well from shorter barrels. Gelatin testing indicates the Speer Short Barrel load in this caliber may be a little more dynamic than the standard version of their Gold Dot 124 grain +P, but I haven't found any shooting results with that version. The standard 124 grain +P Gold Dot seems to work fine out of short barrel 9mms.

In the .40s, the high tech JHPs do open up usually, even in 180 grain subsonic (Gold Dot, Ranger-T from Winchester, etc.). I'm personally partial to 155 grain at 1200 fps or 165 grain at 1140.

In .45 ACP, I'm comfortable with Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, or Winchester Ranger-T 230 grain.

In .357 Magnum, the 125 grain semi jacketed hollow point full Magnum load was used in many shootings with 2.5" and 3" revolvers, and always seems to have done well. It was geared to 4" barrels. Faster velocities from 6" or longer guns can be expected to open up sooner and create wider wound channels, but shallower ones. The long barrel .357s are at their best in the hunting fields with heavier bullet ammo that benefits from the greater powder-burning, pressure building time the longer barrels afford.

Just one guy's take on it,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 18:31   #3
CDR_Glock

Thanks, as usual.

I am going backwards by reading your book, In the Gravest Extreme. I had to break down and buy a book instead of the electronic version on a Kindle.

Lifetime NRA Member

My YouTube Channel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 01-26-2012, 20:04   #4
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

If you want to be true to The Old Ways, you should read Dead Tree books by candlelight or at least gaslight, preferably with a Single Action Army or at least nothing later than an 1896 Mauser pistol within reach...

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:35   #5
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas Ayoob View Post
If you want to be true to The Old Ways, you should read Dead Tree books by candlelight or at least gaslight, preferably with a Single Action Army or at least nothing later than an 1896 Mauser pistol within reach...

best,
Mas
Yikes! No need to accidentally light up the house in flames. Hahahaha

I think I'll stick to my Kindle iPad app or my actual book with LED light...and and my S&W 627.

Lifetime NRA Member

My YouTube Channel: