Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-26-2012, 21:16   #1
gtoglocker

Drivers License Vs. Non-Driver ID (state ID)

Has anybody ever had any negative reactions with your CCW endorsment on your Drivers License as opposed to a Non-Driver ID.

For example at Wal-mart buying bullets or adult beverages?

I'm thinking that having the endorsment you could get hassled in a place that has signs prohibiting firearms. (Not that walmart does, just in general)

In my state these signs hold no legal weight. If they ask you to leave, you simply leave. No harm no foul.

Discuss.
gtoglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 21:24   #2
mingaa

I carry a second state ID. I only talk CCW with a few trusted friends and direct family. It's nothing I choose to advertise. In my state we are not required to reveal CCW on a LEO encounter. They know if they run my plate. I am fully LEO friendly and respectful - that's my starting place. That's my approach.

Last edited by mingaa; 01-26-2012 at 21:26..
mingaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 22:12   #3
gtoglocker

I'm from Missouri also.
Old 01-26-2012, 22:36   #4
Caver 60

I don't want to be asked to leave. Separate card for me. So I've never had the problem you ask about.

I show only DL when check cashing, etc. Plan to use both cards if I ever have an LEO encounter.

ETA All my 'carry' friends that I know, also use two cards.

Last edited by Caver 60; 01-26-2012 at 22:38..
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 22:53   #5
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

I believe that when Kansas first started issuing permits, they only put it on your actual DL. Now you have a separate CHL card.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

8-Ball
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 22:56   #6
kensteele

In my state, next door to yours, I believe we have eliminated the same-card option and it is no longer available. I didn't care for it. I don't mind being confronted by business owners since the answer is simple, just comply. What I would mind is business owners who choose not to say anyting to you and simply call the police without you knowning and let them make contact with you when you walk out the door (probably a rare situation but not impossible). When someone calls the police on you (for whatever reason), the police will/can detain you and it starts from there.
kensteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 22:57   #7
kensteele

Quote:
Originally Posted by tactical_aj88 View Post
I believe that when Kansas first started issuing permits, they only put it on your actual DL. Now you have a separate CHL card.
I got my permit on day one and it was always an option to have separate. But I think you are correct, no option today, separate only.
kensteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 22:58   #8
Reswob

What state is your cwp an endorsement on your DL? Here we get a piece of paper (looks like a business card but flimsier, no picture on it so it's useless as a form of ID).
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 23:44   #9
gtoglocker

In Missouri you can get the endorsement directly on you drivers license or on a non-driver ID which is exactly like your DL but has NON-DRIVER written across it diagonal. both have your picture and info. on them.
Old 01-27-2012, 00:14   #10
xmanhockey7

Don't have it in my state. Did see a friend of mine use his CPL as proof he was old enough to drink when we went to a restaurant. Girl didn't have any issues with it except she couldn't find the DOB on it. Told her you have to be 21 to get the license and she just handed it back to him and brought him his drink. No he was not carrying and drinking.
xmanhockey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:24   #11
failsafe

You have to renew your CCW every 3 years..It only makes sense to get the endorsement on a MO ID..Seems like that the cost is 11 bucks..
If you put it on your MO DR Lic which is good for 5 years, you loose 2 years because you have to renew your CCW endorsement after 3 ..Plus, your DR Lic expires on your birthday, you may loose some time on your 3 year CCW endorsement..
The MO ID and the MO Dr Lic are the same sizeand are very similar..The DR Lic has a blue backround, the ID has a red backround and non driver in red letters diagonally on the front...

The majority of CCW holders choose the ID...
Old 01-27-2012, 05:32   #12
Glockworks
Ready/Aim/Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
What state is your cwp an endorsement on your DL? Here we get a piece of paper (looks like a business card but flimsier, no picture on it so it's useless as a form of ID).
One thing it does do though is allow you to buy more than one handgun within a 30 day period if you want to. I laminate mine, as the way they give it to us, it will not last 5 years in my wallet if I don't laminate it.
Glockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:48   #13
Bren
NRA Life Member

You guys must have a lot of off-limits places. Except places that are off limits by alw, like police stations and jails and bars, I haven't seen a sign prohibiting guns in Kentucky since some time in the 90's. I literally do not know of a single business in any of our larger cities that prohibits CCW.
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:53   #14
Misty02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
You guys must have a lot of off-limits places. Except places that are off limits by alw, like police stations and jails and bars, I haven't seen a sign prohibiting guns in Kentucky since some time in the 90's. I literally do not know of a single business in any of our larger cities that prohibits CCW.
Toys R Us in KY is firearm friendly?

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Misty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:22   #15
oldsoldier

MO ID. No one needs to know I might be carrying except me. The law changed in Aug 2011 and the ID card is only good for 3 years if you have the CCW endorsement. Note that the fee is reduced since the card cannot run full term.

From MO.GOV:
When you apply for a nondriver license (identification card) with a CCW endorsement, you will be charged $5.50 ($3.00 transaction fee and $2.50 processing fee). The expiration date of the nondriver license will be equal to the expiration date of the CCW endorsement (typically three years with a new or renewal Certificate of Qualification).
oldsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:13   #16
Caver 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Don't know about KY, but in Tennessee I've seen a lot of them in the places I visit. Not too many here in Missouri, but even in my small town I know where two are. Those places don't get my business.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:11   #17
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty02 View Post
Toys R Us in KY is firearm friendly?

I don't go to Toys R Us, so if they have a sign I wouldn't know.
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 14:47   #18
drobs

Also in MO - 2 Cards. DL & CCW on state ID.

There is a good chance you will need to drive through Illinois at some point. If you get stopped for speeding it's best in Illinois to not mention firearms to the police officer.

There is no CCW in Illinois. Illinois is not able to tell if you have a CCW license, they can not pull it up on their computer system. It means nothing to them but could lead to harassment.

Your gun should be cased and unloaded if you are traveling through IL.
Best bet is to avoid IL altogether.

Handing the Illinois State Police officer your DL with CCW in the top right corner is not going to help you with the ticket. Most likely will result in your car getting searched and the traffic stop taking longer than necessary.
drobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 19:20   #19
Caver 60

Good thought drobs.

But when the officer verifies that your MO DL is valid, is MO going to tell the officer about the CCW part of it??? I don't know the answer, but I sure would like to know, since I travel across (stopping only for traffic control devices) Illinois several times a year.

I always lock my unloaded pistol up in a lock box and lock the ammo up in a separate lock box prior to entering the state and reload after exiting the state.

But I'd sure like to know if the CCW info is going to come back if the officer runs my license. If it's going to come back, I'll take my chances handing over both documents. If It's not going to come back, then I'll only hand over the DL.

Anybody out there know the answer for sure?
Old 01-27-2012, 20:43   #20
sciolist

We have a separate card in OR. I would definitely not want a CHL endorsement on my ODL if that were an option.

I have no problem with cops running my tag and seeing the CHL - actually prefer it that way, but there are certainly situations where I'd want to keep the two separate.

It is after all a concealed handgun license.
sciolist is offline   Reply With Quote