SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-27-2012, 19:02   #1
cutler686
10-12

Most versatile m1a

About a year ago I was forced to sell my AR10. I am left w/ a browning abolt in .338 that I used to use for Elk hunting (don't elk hunt anymore). I am thinking of selling the .338 as I don't like the 26'' barrel, and don't need such a large caliber for deer.

I am looking into trading the .338 for an M1A, to have 1 all around good hunting and target rifle.

My questing is; What do you think the best all around M1A barrel length is for deer and target shooting. I hunt in WI, so its mainly from a stand looking over a 100 yard corn field and an occasional drive of said field.

I like the trigger and the look of the M1A Loaded, but not sure if I like the sights. I really like the barrel length of the scout (hate my .338 26"), but not sure if I want to stray from the original M1A M14 barrel length.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by cutler686; 01-27-2012 at 19:04..
cutler686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 19:17   #2
ArmoryDoc

I read of too many problems with the shorter barreled M1A's. I have the standard "Loaded" full sized gun and love it. Yeah, it's long but I have zero issues with accuracy or reliability with it. In fact, it is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot. I have mine mounted with a Nikon 4-12x40 Mil-Dot on a Sadlak mount. Range work or deer hunting, this gun is top notch.

Full size is the way to go. Happy shooting.

General Firearms Forum

Last edited by ArmoryDoc; 01-27-2012 at 19:17..
ArmoryDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 19:34   #3
cutler686
10-12

ArmoryDoc - She's a beauty! Thanks for your input.
Old 01-27-2012, 20:59   #4
ArmoryDoc

You bet Cutler. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2012, 21:09   #5
adamg01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmoryDoc View Post
I read of too many problems with the shorter barreled M1A's. I have the standard "Loaded" full sized gun and love it. Yeah, it's long but I have zero issues with accuracy or reliability with it. In fact, it is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot. I have mine mounted with a Nikon 4-12x40 Mil-Dot on a Sadlak mount. Range work or deer hunting, this gun is top notch.

General Firearms Forum
That is an awesome setup you have on that M1a. That is exactly what I would love to have if I ever go the .308 route. How much does it weigh in at?
adamg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 21:50   #6
ArmoryDoc

Well Adam, I don't know. I know one thing. It is heavy. It ain't like totin' around an AR. The Walnut plus the solid steel Sadlak mount and scope bump it up there. I'm gonna guess 12 1/2 pounds ? The M1A itself is 9 1/2 or so.
Old 01-27-2012, 21:55   #7
adamg01

Quote:
Well Adam, I don't know. I know one thing. It is heavy. It ain't like totin' around an AR. The Walnut plus the solid steel Sadlak mount and scope bump it up there. I'm gonna guess 12 1/2 pounds ? The M1A itself is 9 1/2 or so.
I bet that would of been a chore lugging that thing with ammo through the jungles of Vietnam. I bet the soldiers felt better in a firefight with the ability to punch through the jungle over the 5.56 and the reliability factor.

Last edited by adamg01; 01-28-2012 at 08:03..
Old 01-28-2012, 01:01   #8
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
i have had a loaded and a scout. i personally believe that the scout is the best all around gun inside 500 yards. you dont need the extra 200fps inside that distance, dont really need it out to 1K as ive seen 18" bolt guns shoot that far but i dont have that skill level. my scout was every bit as accurate as my loaded. i could hold 2moa all day with either of them shooting south african surplus ammo.

inside 100 yards, i would put an aimpoint in a low ring on the scout mount. this will keep it quick and handy. my second choice would be somehting along the lined of the vortex viper pst 1-4x. i currently have a millett dms 1-4x and its been great but i like the range finding abilities of the reticle in the pst as well as the moa/moa reticle/adjustment options. lifetime warranty isnt bad either. they also have a 2.5-10x that i have been eyeing but a bit more than i care for on an ar15 carbine.

i guess it would really depend on if you want a 100 yard walking around hunting/combat setup or a target setup as to which optic i would go with, reddot, low powered variable or high powered variable.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:23   #9
redcat11

I have a NM MIA and a Scout, after looking for a complement to my National Match I was really looking into a Socom, but I am glad that I got the scout instead. Scout is pretty much in between the Socom and NM for vesatility you still get the reach that you need and don't have that extra few inches of barrel to hinder you.
redcat11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:46   #10
byf43
NRA Life Member

Quote:

General Firearms Forum
Very nice, ArmoryDoc!! Verrrrry nice!!

OP, my M1A is very similar to AD's. It has a Kreiger Hvy Match barrel and Nikon BuckMaster scope on it, in a Sadlak steel mount.
My M1A weighs just a few ounces less than 15 lbs, without magazine!!!

IF I had to do it all over again, I'd get a Scout/Squad M1A, but, I'd keep the Sadlak mount.

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:23   #11
ca survivor

FAL anyone?
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:34   #12
ArmoryDoc

That too. But the M1A blows it away in accuracy with the Sadlak and Nikon.

General Firearms Forum
Old 01-28-2012, 09:44   #13
ArmoryDoc

Cutler, if I was going to go shorter the only one I would consider is the Scout. The Socom, I think, gives up too much in performance and the rail can be problematic for accuracy by the complaints I read.
Old 01-28-2012, 15:41   #14
adamg01

The FAL has it's place as an iconic rifle of the 20th century but I would much rather have an AR10 or especially that M1A.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:47   #15
thisaway

I have a Scout model with the black synthetic furniture. It is much lighter and handier than the ChiCom M-14/S (which I gave to my dad). I have not discerned any real difference in accuracy between them either, but most of my shooting is within 200 yards, iron sights only.
Wheelhouse #452, 10 Ring#5744, Mil Surp & MBR# 3006, ad nauseam

"By and large, the most successful riflemen were the over-mountain men of Tennessee." Richard B. LaCrosse, Jr., The Frontier Rifleman

"....the man with the rifle knows." USA AMU
thisaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 13:02   #16
Rally Vincent
Bipolar

Hunting? Target?

Standard length. All day. No need to get all stubby unless you're hunting out of your kitchen.
Niners Club Member - #196
1911 Club Member - #001
"All evil comes from the old.They grow fat on ideas and young men die of them."
Rally Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 13:46   #17
Bob Hafler

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamg01 View Post
I bet that would of been a chore lugging that thing with ammo through the jungles of Vietnam. I bet the soldiers felt better in a firefight with the ability to punch through the jungle over the 5.56 and the reliability factor.
I know more than few VN Vets who were not very happy when they took there M14's away and gave them the unreliable at the time M16. Many thought they were giving up more with the M14 than they were getting with the M16. Don't take my word for it ask a couple VN Vets yourself who were forced to give up there M14's.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 15:01   #18
Frog1

I prefer the DPMS Oracle with a floated handguard. But I also like my Scout with the Aimpoint. The DPMs is slightly more accurate but the scout is just as accurate as a full size M1-A that is not matched tuned.

I plan on tunning the Scout later this year and maybe putting on a magnified scout type optic to increase precision and turn into a hunting type weapon.
Frog1 is offline   Reply With Quote