Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-27-2012, 20:06   #1
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Meanwhile, as rome burns . . .

The city is financially struggling and yet they have time to quibble over this?

http://www.kxly.com/news/30310393/detail.html

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

One day closer to retirement . . .
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 22:02   #2
bccop

Wow, new uniforms and putting "serve and protect" on the cars.

A google search discovered the current strength of the Spokane Police Department is 290 and is under strength which would suggest budget problems. The same article mentioned the Property Crime Unit is being disbanded which means only 5% of property crimes being investigated.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...unit-disbands/

Initial start up costs of new uniforms would be about $140,000 if each officer gets 4. Obviously this doesn't take into account dry cleaning or replacement costs. Great way to spend money in times of fiscal restraint....

Archilochus, Greek Soldier and Poet, 650 BC

Last edited by bccop; 01-27-2012 at 22:02..
bccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 22:09   #3
Sharky7
Boomshakalaka

How do guys go to the bathroom in those one piece jumpsuits? Don't you have to take off your duty belt just to hit the little policeman's room for a number 1?
Sharky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 22:52   #4
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Think strip tease and yer getting close.

Seriously, just zip up from the bottom and you are swinging free. No guarantee you'll hit the target, as my lovely wife sometimes reminds me . . .

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

One day closer to retirement . . .

Last edited by Morris; 01-27-2012 at 22:53..
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 23:05   #5
Sharky7
Boomshakalaka

Makes sense now.....Was thinking you could only unzip from the top.
Sharky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:45   #6
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

OMFG, that "former" (fired for being a doosh?) detective is a complete tool.

Really? REALLY? You want to see them go BACK to wool?

Its a ****ing uniform, *******. It serves a purpose. God I want to call him at home at 0345 and tell him to STFU.

-texmex
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:12   #7
Black Smoke Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
The city is financially struggling and yet they have time to quibble over this?

http://www.kxly.com/news/30310393/detail.html
Very understandable. The police are civilian public servants. Wearing a duty uniform that is consistent with identifying them as such is very logical and presents a positive civilian service image.

The "one piece jump suits" are devired from military Nomex flight suits who's primary purpose was burn prevention in the event of a fire while involved in avaiation, armor, or special operations mission related activities. Even the military frowns upon and discourages the wear of these flight suits uniforms off post unless required for reasons duty related reasons as well as being worn in on post establishments.

"One piece jumps suits" worn by other than special operations type personnel directly involved in immediate mission related activities presents a militarized as well as an image that is in direct contravention to that of a peace officer & civilian public servant .

Even more to the point, wearing military or para-military type uniforms with blouse boots as opposed to a traditional civilian type police uniform with low quarter leather or Corfram shoes presents a similar if not nearly identical image that is not conducive to a positive public image, welcoming stature, or militarized presence.

I strongly agree that "one piece jump suits" and military/paramilitary style uniforms ARE much more comfortable, easy to maintain, and less expensive overall in long term upkeep.

The extra cost of civilian type uniforms in my opinion much more than pay for themselves by aiding/supporting facilitation of a very professional and positive civilian public image and face to the public.

If the wear of "one piece jumps suits" or military type uniforms is an important issue, sign up for the active duty military and be the real thing. You will even get the opportunity to wear about 40 lbs. of the latest high tech body armor along with those uniforms. Even the military police are not permitted to wear "one piece jump suits" as a regular duty uniform and only for special operations duty and for good reason.........the chain of command wants uniformity and a coordinated, professional, positive image in the ranks as well as those wearing that uniform to be a team that is proud and dignified in and while wearing it.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:20   #8
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Smoke Trail View Post
Blah, blah, blah. I hate the police. Blah, Blah, Blah.
Okay, so don't care how much a department spends on uniforms as long as they look professional.

If I wear my class As I will be wearing $1000 before I even put on my gunbelt or vest. We should go with a clarino gunbelt too. Don't mind the cost. It looks polished and professional.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT

Last edited by CAcop; 01-28-2012 at 06:29..
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:28   #9
CAcop

This article reminds me of my hometown sheriff. He was indicted and convicted for wire fraud by the feds. The new chief thought the best way to up the image of the department was to go from the traditional green and tan to all black. It is 100+ most of the summer out there. Way to send morale into the ****ter.

If you have bad PR or morale bottom line changing uniforms or slogans on the car isn't going to cut it. Our old chief used to have "your police, our community" on the patrol cars but only about 20% of the guys lived in town because it was too expensive to live there.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:45   #10
Black Smoke Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
Okay, so don't care how much a department spends on uniforms as long as they look professional.

If I wear my class As I will be wearing $1000 before I even put on my gunbelt or vest. We should go with a clarino gunbelt too. Don't mind the cost. It looks polished and professional.
A $1,000 for a civilian duty uniform......REALLY???? My military dress blue and mess blue uniforms with tailoring, shoulder loops, and medals did not cost that much. With your cost management skills, perhaps you would be better employed on president Obama's personal staff? And I thought the DOD spending $600 on toilet seats was bad.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:50   #11
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
A $1,000 for a civilian duty uniform......REALLY???? My military dress blue and mess blue uniforms with tailoring, shoulder loops, and medals did not cost that much. With your cost management skills, perhaps you would be better employed on president Obama's personal staff? And I thought the DOD spending $600 on toilet seats was bad.
You really have no idea how much good LE uniforms are, do you? It's VERY easy for a halfway decent Class-A uniform to run over $100 just for the shirt and pants. Add in ties, pants belt, shoes/boots, duty gear, vest, and $1000 actually is fairly conservative.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:54   #12
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Many agencies, (including mine), allow uniform polo shirts, with emblem on the shirt. It works very well for Las Vegas if you want to see a good example, with the exception that the emblem is a representation of the badge, verses ours being a representation of the agency seal. Cotton polyester trousers that keep a crease; a decent uniform shirt; tie if deemed necessary; and a ball cap with the agency seal on it, or badge pattern, will more than accomplish the non intimidating yet comfortable uniform image. In addition they could have a white uniform shirt for dress along with an appropriate color of blazer to wear for Class A events. Use a badge on the oxford uniform shirt and the blazer, and a pair of corframs, emblem on a polo and boots for Class B wear.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:20   #13
bikerdog

It saddens me to see this. My dept. Works closely with Spokane pd. Spokane is facing some major issues but overall they have some great cops trying to do a good job. But you have all the brass and politicians focusing on this nonsense. It's been a long road for them and it looks like that wont be changing this year.
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 01-28-2012, 09:50   #14
collim1
Shower Time!

I wear a Class A 100% of the time, but its my choice.

I dont think uniforms are the solution to this problem. Gradually phasing the "jump suits" out as they need replacement is a more realistic and less knee jerk approach.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:48   #15
merlynusn

Black Smoke, Do you have any idea what a normal police uniform looks like? It's the exact same as a military uniform. Heck, I think some of my police uniforms were even made by the same company. I wear good sturdy boots instead of low quarter shoes when I patrol. Why? Because they are sturdy, don't soak up the water, and protect my ankles. To have cops wear Corframs are absolutely stupid, for many many reasons. Whoever said that cops blouse their boots? Only whackers do that. I've seen a couple cops do it and they are a laughing stock.

One piece jumpsuits.... Would I buy them? No, I think they look stupid. But that isn't the issue. They ALREADY have them. I agree with Collim, phase out the jump suits as they come due to replacement. Give them a normal police uniform that is poly/cotton as opposed to a wool one.

No one in the military wears one piece jumpsuits except aviators and I think tank people. Everyone else is wearing BDUs. Even the Navy got rid of their jumpsuits for use on the ship and went to BDUs. The jumpsuits are not military in nature at all.
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:02   #16
trdvet

People will always hate the police and think they are a bunch of JBTs no matter what uniform they wear. The person makes the uniform, the uniform does not make the person.
Disclaimer: The opinions given DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. By viewing this post you agree to indemnify myself and my employing agency and hold them harmless from all claims and damages.
trdvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:26   #17
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Very understandable. The police are civilian public servants. Wearing a duty uniform that is consistent with identifying them as such is very logical and presents a positive civilian service image.

The "one piece jump suits" are devired from military Nomex flight suits who's primary purpose was burn prevention in the event of a fire while involved in avaiation, armor, or special operations mission related activities. Even the military frowns upon and discourages the wear of these flight suits uniforms off post unless required for reasons duty related reasons as well as being worn in on post establishments.

"One piece jumps suits" worn by other than special operations type personnel directly involved in immediate mission related activities presents a militarized as well as an image that is in direct contravention to that of a peace officer & civilian public servant .

Even more to the point, wearing military or para-military type uniforms with blouse boots as opposed to a traditional civilian type police uniform with low quarter leather or Corfram shoes presents a similar if not nearly identical image that is not conducive to a positive public image, welcoming stature, or militarized presence.

I strongly agree that "one piece jump suits" and military/paramilitary style uniforms ARE much more comfortable, easy to maintain, and less expensive overall in long term upkeep.

The extra cost of civilian type uniforms in my opinion much more than pay for themselves by aiding/supporting facilitation of a very professional and positive civilian public image and face to the public.

If the wear of "one piece jumps suits" or military type uniforms is an important issue, sign up for the active duty military and be the real thing. You will even get the opportunity to wear about 40 lbs. of the latest high tech body armor along with those uniforms. Even the military police are not permitted to wear "one piece jump suits" as a regular duty uniform and only for special operations duty and for good reason.........the chain of command wants uniformity and a coordinated, professional, positive image in the ranks as well as those wearing that uniform to be a team that is proud and dignified in and while wearing it.
Thanks for further confirmation of your complete ignorance on the subject of anything LE related.

I think I'm gonna head to your tractor forum and register so I can hand out my worthless opinion to everyone.

-texmex
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:34   #18
Panzergrenadier1979
Keystone Cop

Quote:

Really?

You have enough heartburn over this that you feel it is your place to interrupt a conversation between law enforcement professionals who are discussing an item of common interest?

Corfram shoes.....for patrol.....?! How much thought did you put into that little gem before hitting "submit"?

Do me a favor, go to odmp.org and read some of the reflections left by family, friends, and colleagues of this nations fallen law enforcement officers. The children and spouses of these "civilian" "public servants" probably don't care what you think their deceased officer/deputy/trooper/agent's uniform looked like. They still did their job, they're still dead, and their fellow officers still go to work each day to serve folks like you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Panzergrenadier1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 13:15   #19
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Blah, blah, blah. I hate the police. Blah, Blah, Blah.
It would appear that somebody here's "one piece jumpsuit and pictures a flight suit. Perhaps somebody should investigate the 100% custom cut jumpsuits made by the likes of Bratwear before opining...

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 14:17   #20
wprebeck
Got quacks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
It would appear that somebody here's "one piece jumpsuit and pictures a flight suit. Perhaps somebody should investigate the 100% custom cut jumpsuits made by the likes of Bratwear before opining...
It appears that someone is a ****ing idiot who has a history of lying about tthings to make LE look bad. Cochese and I both played around online, and found some neat stuff.