SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-27-2012, 21:38   #1
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

Anyone go thumbs forward on a wheelgun?

Saw a team S&W shooter doing it, but know most wheelgun guys dothumb over thumb. Wondering how much luck people get with thumbs forward on a revo id like to try doing it so im consistent between my guns. Ive gone to thumbs forward since getting my cz and now that my revolvers almost repaired ill be shootin that again soon.
Old 01-27-2012, 21:40   #2
klampton317

I dont know. I feel like I tried that once and got my thumb rocked by gasses escaping from the cylinder. I decided not to do that again.
klampton317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 21:44   #3
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Yep. Potentially bad news.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 21:45   #4
brob2425

I do thumbs forward with my 638, it just feels more natural as that's how I shoot with my other guns. It feels awkward trying to change my grip for a particular gun. I prefer consistency.
brob2425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 21:55   #5
K.Kiser

I've never been a real fan of doing much of anything textbook style unless it's a mechanical or mathematical issue... I think you'll do best doing whatever feels right to your hand and stance...

Last edited by K.Kiser; 01-27-2012 at 21:59..
K.Kiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 22:02   #6
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

I know theres the pic of the guys thumb blown off but he was grabbing frame not grip. And the thumbs would be well bwlow forcing cone anyway, and i shoot 38s 90 percent of the time. Ill try it out when i get my 669 back.
Old 01-27-2012, 22:03   #7
Berto
woo woo

I shoot them thumbs forward.
Old 01-27-2012, 22:39   #8
ronin.45

It kind of depends on your thumbs. I have long thumbs and if I go forward my strong thumb gets bashed by the blasts shield while my weak thumb gets burned. Needless to say, this is not my preferred method.
Old 01-27-2012, 23:07   #9
m2hmghb

I typically do thumbs down. I dont like the crossover grip because if you do it on an auto the slide runs over your thumb. I don't want to get into the habit of 2 different grips so I use the same on both auto and revolver

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 23:55   #10
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

I like my thumbs, therefore I tuck them down for revolvers.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:05   #11
hogship
It's MY Island

Depending on hand size, frame size, and grips, most people will just do whatever feels right and comfortable for them......and, that means it all "depends". The main thing it to keep your body parts out of the way of the cylinder leading edge.

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by hogship; 01-28-2012 at 01:06..
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:05   #12
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayaX View Post
I like my thumbs, therefore I tuck them down for revolvers.

I agree - opposable thumbs rock!
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:16   #13
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

I've never shot thumb over, that's a bad habit that'll come back to bite you when you switch over to a semi-auto. Always shot Modified Weaver, thumbs forward.
Old 01-28-2012, 15:27   #14
fastbolt

Nope.

Curled master (right) hand thumb. It's a controllability & grip technique issue.

Left thumb? Well, since I spent my years as a young man shooting SA revolvers, my L/thumb was always prepped and available for thumb-cocking fast subsequent shots. It stays up/off and out of the way (but not forward, as hot gasses from the B/C gap demand the right-of-way in wheelguns).

As the days of wheelgunners still remaining in LE are coming to a close (simply because of aging, retirements, etc), it's not uncommon to see a newer revolver owner/shooter bring their new gun through a range qual, and try to use a thumbs-forward grip. It only takes a few times for them to have the rear of the cylinder edge split their thumb nail open, or the latch maul their thumb knuckle, and they start to suspect something is amiss.

Since my young years were pretty evenly divided between the 1911 and the SA revolver, I didn't have any trouble learning and practicing the best grip to use with each. My later adoption of those new-fangled, trigger-cocking wheelguns ... and then the weird contraptions known as "traditions double action" pistols (DA/SA to many folks) ... didn't give me much trouble when it came to adapting my revolver/pistol grip techniques to them. I've long thought that someone who learns their handgunning foundation skills on revolvers, and especially using Magnum revolvers, can more easily make the transition to pistols than the other way around.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 01-28-2012 at 15:32..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 15:47   #15
mr00jimbo

I saw a guy at the range shoot with his right hand on the grip, and his left hand wrapped around his right wrist. I thought this looked odd, but he was shooting amazingly in double-action. What's the name of this grip position?
Old 01-28-2012, 15:59   #16
Dot_mdb

I shoot thumbs forward without a problem. Of course now that I am aware of the potential problems I will probably wind up with thumbnails torn off, bloody knuckles and burned fingertips.

Bill
Dot_mdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 16:01   #17
ca survivor

I got to go and shoot my wheel guns, it's been a long time.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 16:03   #18
ca survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr00jimbo View Post
I saw a guy at the range shoot with his right hand on the grip, and his left hand wrapped around his right wrist. I thought this looked odd, but he was shooting amazingly in double-action. What's the name of this grip position?
crazy ?
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 16:09   #19
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot_mdb View Post
I shoot thumbs forward without a problem. Of course now that I am aware of the potential problems I will probably wind up with thumbnails torn off, bloody knuckles and burned fingertips.

Bill

Hey, everyone's hands can fit the wheelies differently. What was a really bad idea for one shooter sometimes didn't have any ill effect for another shooter, etc.

The one thing that is always a bad idea is to reach out and intrude upon the zone where the hot gases (fragments, burnt powder, etc) escape the B/C gap. In the newer really heavy & powerful calibers, like the .500 S&W Magnum or the .460 S&W, this can quickly result in loss of body parts.

When a S&W rep brought some .500's around for us to try out one day (with free ammo), he was adamant in making sure our folks knew to keep their fingers & thumbs away from the B/C gaps, explaining how he knew of someone who had lost part of their hand from the hot gasses, not having paid attention to the safety warnings when shooting one of their big, new X-frame revolvers.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 19:04   #20
ithaca_deerslayer

I shoot weak thumb on top of, and locking down, the strong thumb. Basically what you guys are calling thumbs down

I shoot that way on all handguns, revolver, semi-auto, and single-shot.

I'd like to hear some stories of slide abrasion from the thumbs forward guys
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote