Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-28-2012, 16:21   #1
WarCry

Police officer killed by another while being arrested

This story is just bad from start to finish. My heart goes out to the families of all involved, but particularly to the arresting officer. That's gone to add a bit of weight to the soul....

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...-to-arrest-him

One note: Making this arrest, based on the circumstances given, seems odd that they would have done it while he was on duty. I'd have thought it would be a better idea to do this when he's NOT working, but what do I know?
Old 01-28-2012, 16:46   #2
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

There is a thread in GNG regarding this. There are many more questions than answers, at this point.

Will be interestting to see what else comes out about this, information wise.
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 16:50   #3
Patchman
Florist

Never an easy issue, tactically.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 16:57   #4
Sharky7
Boomshakalaka

Who knows, on duty might be the best time....If they asked to talk with him in lockup and broke the news there.

Sad story any way you look at it.
Sharky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 17:08   #5
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

If his response to being told he was under arrest was to draw and shoot at them he was a *********, good riddance to him.
Old 01-28-2012, 17:11   #6
1041TX

I can't even imagine. Horrible situation all around.

Posted on my iCrack......errr iPhone.
1041TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 17:26   #7
Ajon412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
If his response to being told he was under arrest was to draw and shoot at them he was a *********, good riddance to him.
Yea, good call......
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 17:38   #8
bnkrtstk

He knew what would happen if he drew, I feel for the officer he forced to kill him.
bnkrtstk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 17:51   #9
Ajon412

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnkrtstk View Post
He knew what would happen if he drew, I feel for the officer he forced to kill him.
Not only did he draw down, but let rounds go.......Suicide by Cop by Cop??????
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 17:59   #10
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnkrtstk View Post

His response leaves no doubt in my mind that he did what he was accused of.

Dragoon, the idea of asking him to the jail to make the arrest is genius. Probably the best possible way it could be done.

Last edited by collim1; 01-28-2012 at 18:01..
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 17:59   #11
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
Dishonorable enough to have put himself in that position, but to force another to take action disgusts me.
Old 01-28-2012, 18:03   #12
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Cop Talk
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 19:20   #13
CAcop

One of our former officers used to work at Santa Maria until becoming chief somewhere else. I hope the officer recovers fully. As to the piece of **** my he rot in hell.

The LAPD hooked up one of theirs for a murder she comitted years before by telling her a suspect in custody had info for her in another case and would only meet her in person. When she disarmed and waited for her snitch she got the suprise of a lifetime. Reading about the investigation was an interesting read. A team of detectives were handed a sealed envelope and told to open it up once the were inside the detective's apartment without being told whose house it was or what they were doing there. The envelope contained a search warrant spelling it all out.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 19:25   #14
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
The LAPD hooked up one of theirs for a murder she comitted years before by telling her a suspect in custody had info for her in another case and would only meet her in person. When she disarmed and waited for her snitch she got the suprise of a lifetime. Reading about the investigation was an interesting read. A team of detectives were handed a sealed envelope and told to open it up once the were inside the detective's apartment without being told whose house it was or what they were doing there. The envelope contained a search warrant spelling it all out.
Any more info on this? I'd like to read about it.
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 19:32   #15
Bodyarmorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikerret View Post
Any more info on this? I'd like to read about it.
http://articles.latimes.com/2009/jun...tive-arrested6

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/jun...ective-murder9
Old 01-28-2012, 19:42   #16
AA#5

That case really intrigued me - except for how long it took the brain-dead cops to arrest her because they didn't want to believe one of their officers could do something like that.

Last edited by AA#5; 01-28-2012 at 19:44..
AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 19:50   #17
AA#5

Another similar bizarre incident: Two cars with off duty officers in each stop at a red light, neither officer knows both are police officers, give each other "macho" stares, then verbal insults, then the finger, then road rage, then one shoots & kills the other.
http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oGd...-83860628.html
AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 20:12   #18
slama683

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA#5 View Post
Another similar bizarre incident: Two cars with off duty officers in each stop at a red light, neither officer knows both are police officers, give each other "macho" stares, then verbal insults, then the finger, then road rage, then one shoots & kills the other.
http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oGd...-83860628.html
You should really have read up on the Rampart scandal and the players involved before you posted this. Gaines was a ****head working for murdering dope dealers, and his tracking down the UC was not an accident.
Old 01-28-2012, 20:42   #19
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Bias exercise doesn't involve accuracy.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
Old 01-28-2012, 20:49   #20
CW Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by slama683 View Post
You should really have read up on the Rampart scandal and the players involved before you posted this. Gaines was a ****head working for murdering dope dealers, and his tracking down the UC was not an accident.
That would require research to make a sound, educated statement or opinion.

What we have here is angry mental ************.

Edit: Crap. The filter doesn't like the word for self pleasure I guess. And they call US the JBTs ...

Last edited by CW Mock; 01-28-2012 at 20:50..
CW Mock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 21:18   #21
Cav

IMHO its dumb to make an arrrest of an officer thats on duty. Worst time you could do it I think. Call them in when off duty or let them know they have a warrant and need to turn self in.

Worst case they flee, best case there is no trial. Most bad officers know they did wrong. Give them days off as some issues came up, call them in and make the arrest, or set up a turn in time, or hit the house well equiped.

Delt with about the same issue as posted about a few times and am sure will deal with it again.
Old 01-28-2012, 21:25   #22
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

http://news.yahoo.com/officer-shot-k...011712475.html
Old 01-28-2012, 22:20   #23
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
IMHO its dumb to make an arrrest of an officer thats on duty. Worst time you could do it I think. Call them in when off duty or let them know they have a warrant and need to turn self in.

Worst case they flee, best case there is no trial. Most bad officers know they did wrong. Give them days off as some issues came up, call them in and make the arrest, or set up a turn in time, or hit the house well equiped.

Delt with about the same issue as posted about a few times and am sure will deal with it again.
Depending on how the department handles it, if cops go in and out of work in uniform, they have to change somewhere, right? So if I were making a suggestion, I'd say get him in the locker room in his skivvies. There's still a chance he could go for a weapon, but the likelihood of him reaching it is lower.

But that's just more MMQB from someone that's never had to deal with things like this before, and nearly certainly never will.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:31   #24
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

There are many ways to do it but yeah, I would have found a time where they were disarmed or something... like when he was in the locker changing and just tell him, get up to the sergeant's office while he is half dressed without a gun belt on or meeting him in the jail or interrogation room.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:05   #25
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Read my link.

Sent from Tapatalk

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?