SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-28-2012, 21:57   #1
DirtyDan

Gun Disarms:Long-gun vs Handgun

Dear Mas,

I've always been of the opinion that the handgun offered the best weapon retention in a CQ home defense situation, but recently read an article stating that the long-gun was actually harder for the bad guy to disarm from it's rightful owner or get out of the line of fire.This didn't make sense to me ,but I've been wrong before, so I thought I'd ask an expert.

Thank you very much,
Dan
DirtyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:39   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

It's been my experience over the decades that it's easier to get a long gun away from someone than a handgun. It's a matter of leverage: the longer gun gives the "disarmer" a longer lever to use against the person originally holding it.

I'm not sure of your source. They may have been talking about the fact that if the gun is tethered to the shooter, as by a 3-point sling, it would obviously be harder to get COMPLETELY away from the person originally holding it. However, the person doing the disarming would still have a good shot (no pun intended) at controlling the muzzle. They would also, to some degree, be able to control the sling-wearer's body movements.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:53   #3
DirtyDan

Here's the source....
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu143.htm

I think you outlined it perfectly here...
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...nicles-part-v/

Last edited by DirtyDan; 01-29-2012 at 11:00..
Old 01-29-2012, 11:01   #4
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Dan, while I would agree with your linked source on several points, relative ease of disarming is not one of them. If you scroll down the enclosed link, the assumption is that the assailant has simply grabbed the barrel and remained in front of the muzzle where he can be "lit up." With handgun OR long gun, that's not how a disarm is likely to occur, unless your assailant is a true candidate for Darwin Awards.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 13:53   #5
DirtyDan

Mas,

The article was sent to me from a friend and the authors ideas in regards to weapon retention are what really stood out and we're contrary to what I've always thought & was taught. My background is in Martial Arts and I've worked on a lot of disarm training over the years as well reading much of your extensive work on weapon retention & training it and feel pretty confident in those area's.You focus more on weapon retention than most & I feel a lot of Instructors overlook it's importance in Civilian self-defense. I was perplexed by the articles assumptions, but wanted to double check with you to be sure I was on the right track & not missing something.I'm glad we are on the same page.

Thanks again.
Dan