Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:31   #1
DonD

Another Local Gunshop Thread

Not something eye opening. Was in the local shop which has a nice selection especially considering that it is an animal feed, tack, clothing and firearms store.

Counter guy showed a S&W J frame to an older guy and a S&W 329 Night Guard to me. Sadly, he handled the guns in a very abusive manner. He'd open the cylinder, look at the chambers to ensure they were empty (good so far), then he'd slam the cylinder/crane back into the frame. Not good for the longevity of the gun.

Called later and talked to a knowledgeable guy as a means of constructive criticism. Think he took it exactly as intended, hope the older counter guy learns from it. Don
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:34   #2
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

Yep, never slam the cylinder shut on a revolver and never drop the slide on an empty chamber, two things any noob should know.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:36   #3
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

I wouldn't buy anything from that shop.
Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:40   #4
YtownGlock
Rookie

When I got my first Glock last April, while I was in the gunshop finalizing payment and the paperwork, I couldn't help it but I kept fondling the hell out of it. Locking the slide back, releasing it, over and over again. One guy behind the counter finally told me I should never send the slide home without a round in the chamber because the constant slamming of the slide on the chamber/barrel will cause damage. (cause it to crimp and bend downward from the constant force and contact from the slide)

Um.... According to my academy instructor, a few marines, and Hickok45, I was told that is not likely to happen. When we went thru firearms training in the academy, we did a lot of dry fire drills with Glock 17 Gen3s that were almost 4 years old. 4 years of the slide being racked, sent home without brass during dry fire drills there was no significant sign of damage to the chamber or the barrel.

Anyone else care to share their opinion on this?

Last edited by YtownGlock; 01-31-2012 at 11:41..
YtownGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:48   #5
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

Maybe it's only on "old school" semis or something but I've always been told never to drop the slide without a round to be chambered because you need that buffer(the round being stripped from the mag) to slow down the slide velociety so as not to do damage to the rear of the barrel. Like I said, maybe it's just for old school semis and these new plastic guns can take it where the old 1911a1's and S&W 39/59's couldn't. Either way I still won't do it. Heck, I don't even let the hammer fall with a hammer drop safety/decocker, I still hold it as it falls forward.

Last edited by TN.Frank; 01-31-2012 at 11:49..
TN.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:49   #6
jaklcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by YtownGlock View Post
When I got my first Glock last April, while I was in the gunshop finalizing payment and the paperwork, I couldn't help it but I kept fondling the hell out of it. Locking the slide back, releasing it, over and over again. One guy behind the counter finally told me I should never send the slide home without a round in the chamber because the constant slamming of the slide on the chamber/barrel will cause damage. (cause it to crimp and bend downward from the constant force and contact from the slide)

Um.... According to my academy instructor, a few marines, and Hickok45, I was told that is not likely to happen. When we went thru firearms training in the academy, we did a lot of dry fire drills with Glock 17 Gen3s that were almost 4 years old. 4 years of the slide being racked, sent home without brass during dry fire drills there was no significant sign of damage to the chamber or the barrel.

I tend to agree with your assessment.

But, I could understand looking at it the same way that lots of people do Snap Caps; better safe than sorry. I always gently retract the slide when I'm not shooting, but it doesnt really worry me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
jaklcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:53   #7
chrisf608

I would like to see a person conduct a test, by repeatedly slamming the wheel into the frame, just to see how long it takes before damage occurs.

Same with racking and dry firing a glock or any other auto-loader
I would bet it would take a lifetime before a failure.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:57   #8
LawScholar

I treat my guns gently. No slamming, or slide-dropping, careful and meticulous cleaning and oiling. Not because I need to (I think they'd hold up just fine) but because they are my things, they're expensive, and they might save my life one day. I'm willing to take the extra second to be delicate with them.

Last edited by LawScholar; 01-31-2012 at 11:58..
LawScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:58   #9
Foxtrotx1

I have never had an issue slamming the slide on autos, however, YOU DO NOT do that on a 1911.

Eagle Scout.
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:03   #10
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf608 View Post
I would like to see a person conduct a test, by repeatedly slamming the wheel into the frame, just to see how long it takes before damage occurs.
You never saw the POS S&W M64 that Wells/Fargo gave me to carry as a duty gun. The crane and ejector rod was bent, probably from someone slamming the cylinder shut. Fortunately I had my personal S&W M13 with me when we went to qualify and I use it and got an average score(for 3 rounds of firing) of 96%(all shots DA, also my first time shooting a revolver DA, guess I'm just a natural at it or something.), 70% was passing and you'd also be surprised at how many of the guys made it by the skin of their teeth. The only real competition I had was a former Air Force guy that was an MP, we pretty much shoot neck and neck.
I never did carry that revolver, I carried my personal M13 instead. I also didn't use the 38spl LRN ammo they gave me either, I used Federal 129gr HydroShok in my gun. There are times to follow company policy and there's times(like when you life may be on the line) when it's best to break company policy.

Last edited by TN.Frank; 01-31-2012 at 12:04..
TN.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:03   #11
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by YtownGlock View Post
Depends on the specific type of semi-auto handgun.

Many years ago, I purchased a brand new Italian-made Beretta 84F.

After too many hits to the slide stop/release on an empty chamber the top of the release itself was worn to the point where it would not reliably engage the notch in the slide.

Since then (mid 1980's), I do not drop slides on empty autos, bolts on black rifles, or snap cylinders into frames of revolvers.
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:08   #12
Leigh

Quote:
Racking and dry-firing is not the same as using the slide stop/release to repeatedly release the slide on an empty chamber.

It took just a few hundred of these practices to damage my Beretta's slide release.
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:21   #13
scccdoc

LawScholar;18512286]I treat my guns gently. No slamming, or slide-dropping, careful and meticulous cleaning and oiling. Not because I need to (I think they'd hold up just fine) but because they are my things, they're expensive, and they might save my life one day. I'm willing to take the extra second to be delicate with them.

I'm in full agreement with you,I feel the same way about a breech load shotgun.Don't slam it and I was taught to bring the butt of the gun"up" to close ...DOC
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:27   #14
chrisf608

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
Racking and dry-firing is not the same as using the slide stop/release to repeatedly release the slide on an empty chamber.

It took just a few hundred of these practices to damage my Beretta's slide release.
Im sure damage could happen, just figured it would take a while.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:33   #15
3000fps

I agree it's unnecessary abuse. Kind of like dropping your Glock from 5 feet in the air. It's probably not going to do anything but if you do it over and over and over something may break.
3000fps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 13:06   #16
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:

Send me your revolver and I'll be more than glad to do the flip-wrist-closing test.
Old 01-31-2012, 18:02   #17
sns3guppy

Quote:
There are times to follow company policy and there's times(like when you life may be on the line) when it's best to break company policy.
Tell that to the attorney in court, after the shooting, and see how it plays out. It will balance nicely with the "better to be judged by twelve" bumper sticker.

If your job requires you to carry a certain type of ammunition or weapon, and prohibits you from carrying another, you'd have to be an idiot to violate that policy.

As for a Model 10 or 64 being damaged from securing the cylinder, I don't think so. I carried both for a number of years; they're fairly tough, foolproof revolvers. The only problem I can ever recall was a failure of the roll pin holding the firing pin on the hammer, which caused the weapon to fail to fire during training. Otherwise, excellent revolvers.

I don't make a habit of dropping a slide on an empty chamber, dry firing without anything to back up the firing pin, or otherwise slamming around and abusing my firearms, but many folks seem to miss the fact that the firearms undergo a lot more stress during routine firing. If you're concerned about damaging the revolver by slapping the cylinder and crane back into place, or by dropping the slide, then you've got a fragile piece of artwork there that might be best left on the desk to hold down some paper.
sns3guppy is offline   Reply With Quote