Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-29-2012, 14:03   #1
mcflyfyter

Bad draw technique?

I have carried XD's exclusively since 2005, up until last week. I was practicing my draw with the glock when I realized my draw was optimized for an XD. I locate the gun with my thumb on top of the rear sight, and sweep my fingers under the grip. This order can reverse, or both simultaneously, if my hand comes from below or behind the gun. My actual draw is performed with my thumb on top of the sight. Once the muzzle has cleared the holster, and is rotated up in a safe direction, I sweep my thumb back around to a firing grip. By doing this, I do not depress the grip safety, and I feel like I have more consistent control. It really made me slow down on the glock reholstering when I realized I could very easily send one into my leg. This sounds awkward, but it works very well, and I feel like I have a more consistent draw between IWB and OWB. Also, it is the only safety that could be considered active (when used in this manner) So I may as well take advantage of it. Is this a common, or even recognized method? Should I even worry about it, or just keep doing what works? Thanks
mcflyfyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 16:38   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Agree in part, respectfully disagree in part.

Since the late 70s or early 80s, I've holstered and taught holstering with the thumb on the back of the hammer or slide. With a double action gun, the thumb holds the hammer down and prevents discharge if a badly designed safety strap, adjustment cord from a jacket, or the shooter's own finger gets into the trigger guard. On a cocked and locked auto, thumb on hammer holds it back, preventing unintended discharge the same way.

As you already know, this also activates the grip safety, giving you one more safety net if something pulls the trigger on a striker-fired gun. And on any pistol thumb on back of slide keeps the gun in battery when inserting it into a very tight new holster.

I put the thumb on the back of the slide of a Glock or XD to maintain commonality of position with other gun designs.

However, when DRAWING, I teach releasing any safety device, and then taking a secure firing grasp, thumb in position to wipe of the safety if the gun has one as the gun is coming up on target. This also gives you a firmer hold on the gun if an assailant is in very close, and grabs at the gun, either to disarm you or to stall your draw.

Hoping this is helpful,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 17:46   #3
mcflyfyter

Thanks, that was very helpful. I usually carry IWB with a Crossbreed Supertuck, and I cannot consistently get my thumb between the leather and pistol without starting the draw first. The closest I can get to the draw you describe, is to index off the inside of the front sight. Then as soon as the gun starts moving up, I can start inserting my thumb between the slide and holster. I bet with a little practice I can have a firing grip before clearing kydex.

Thanks for your expertise, you should teach this stuff for a living.

Last edited by mcflyfyter; 01-29-2012 at 17:47..
mcflyfyter is offline   Reply With Quote