Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-29-2012, 21:03   #1
ColCol

Trigger Won't Work-Can't Get Slide Off

OK, guys I need help again. The problem I was having with my G30SF may have been due in part to a bend trigger bar so, I replaced it with the stock one I still had but now the trigger won't work nor can I get the slide off. What did I do? You can rack the slide but the trigger doesn't reset so you can pull it and take the slide off.
ColCol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 15:08   #2
Cfish

Take off the the cover at the back of the slide and remove the parts that are accessable. Then you should be able to remove the slide. I hope that is clear as mud!
Cfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 16:04   #3
ColCol

I can't get the back cover off because the firing pin won't go forward enough to release to be able to release the cover and push it down. The slide is still on the frame or it wouldn't be a problem but that's the problem. The slide won't come off and the trigger is in the back position as if fired.
Old 01-30-2012, 16:11   #4
cciman

After you have taken the thing apart, check the trigger connector, bend it outward slightly away from the side of the trigger housing.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 16:19   #5
ColCol

I can't get to the connector with the slide still on. I have the firing pin, spring out but the damn slide still won't come off.
Old 01-30-2012, 16:23   #6
cciman

So the striker is cocked to the rear of the slide, or is it forward in fired position?

This is what I would do:

Pull the slide back, with the mag out
stick something inside the chamber opening that will allow you access to the striker collar, and also allow you to see the trigger safety block though the bottom of the magwell.

Detail strip the slide in this position, the striker safety and the spring will fall out from below.

Remove slide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColCol View Post
I can't get the back cover off because the firing pin won't go forward enough to release to be able to release the cover and push it down. The slide is still on the frame or it wouldn't be a problem but that's the problem. The slide won't come off and the trigger is in the back position as if fired.
Old 01-30-2012, 16:41   #7
ColCol

Finally got it off-what a PITA. I don't know what happened initially after I replace the trigger bar before.
Old 01-30-2012, 16:55   #8
ColCol

Thanks guys, now to put it all back together again.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:49   #9
voyager4520
-----

On the following page are some Glock Armorer's Manuals, just scroll down to the "G" section. I learned from the Update Manual and 2009 Manual. The 2009 Manual has a few pages missing, but that info can be found in the Update Manual as well.
http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm
Old 01-31-2012, 19:17   #10
ColCol

Excellent video-many thanks. I'll watch that a couple times.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:12   #11
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Send a message via Yahoo to Glockrunner
Quote:
Excellent video-many thanks. I'll watch that a couple times.
This may seem harsh but, to me it sounds like you really need to take your firearm to a Glock Armorer and have it completely gone over until you know what you are doing.

As I understand the conversation, this is the second time you have had problems that you don't understand. So for safety sake: PLEASE have someone that knows what he is doing check out your gun.
Old 02-02-2012, 19:19   #12
ColCol

I thought part of the problem was a slightly bent cam on the trigger bar so, I ordered one from Midway and it got here today. I put it in and it didn't help at all. somehow the slide is nicking the top of the magazine's polymer edges and that could be another part of it. I'm not going to destroy another magazine by trying to see if it still does it with the new TB so, tomorrow I'm taking it to the Glock armorer to get him to see if he can see something I can't.

It's hard knowing exactly how to take down each firearm you own. I know the 1911 pretty well and the HK isn't all that difficult but I haven't had the need to learn Glock much as it's always been a super pistol...until now.

Last edited by ColCol; 02-02-2012 at 19:21..
Old 02-02-2012, 19:51   #13
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Quote:
I thought part of the problem was a slightly bent cam on the trigger bar so, I ordered one from Midway and it got here today. I put it in and it didn't help at all. somehow the slide is nicking the top of the magazine's polymer edges and that could be another part of it. I'm not going to destroy another magazine by trying to see if it still does it with the new TB so, tomorrow I'm taking it to the Glock armorer to get him to see if he can see something I can't.

It's hard knowing exactly how to take down each firearm you own. I know the 1911 pretty well and the HK isn't all that difficult but I haven't had the need to learn Glock much as it's always been a super pistol...until now.
The first thing anyone needs to learn in order to converse about a subject is the terminology.

What part of the trigger bar are you referring to when you say the “cam”? A cam is usually something that rotates. A trigger bar just pretty much slides back and forth.

BTW, Glock pistols are pretty much the simplest firearms to breakdown for field stripping and cleaning. If you can break down a 1911 I can’t understand why you would any trouble with a Glock.

Try this; remove the slide and then insert an empty magazine into the receiver.Now maybe you can see how the trigger bar wraps around the top of the mag. You'll get to see too how the slide stop works.

Last edited by Glockrunner; 02-02-2012 at 19:56..
Glockrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:49   #14
ColCol

What I'm calling the trigger bar "cam" is that raised section that slides across the firing pin safety and has the little bump on it. This is the part of the trigger bar everyone was complaining about last year and how the slide was scratching it. I could have sworn I saw it called that in a Glock manual.

I can field strip a Glock down but if you've never broken it down to components before you need a manual or a video. I don't think anyone could take one completely apart without one of the other and I hadn't done that before-only down to the major components for cleaning.

I just got back from the range and had one of the guys that works there to call in his most experienced Glock armorer guru. He came over and I described the two major problems and took one of the magazines the G30SF had tried to eat and told him of the feeding problems showing him a few rounds and how something was nicking the case rim and scratching the case itself. He took it down and looked at the parts and asked if I'd changed anything or had taken the magazine apart. After we discussed that all I did was clean it good and put in a new trigger bar. I gave him some of the ammo I had been having trouble with and the old chewed up mag and a new one for test purposes. He did the paper work and I left it with him. Hopefully, by Monday I'll get a call telling me what's wrong.

Last edited by ColCol; 02-03-2012 at 11:50..
Old 02-03-2012, 16:55   #15
cciman

Whoa, calm down boys. Sounds like it is in a good place now.

The OP is that you had a slide removal problem-- that's fixed. Without diving into your posts, I would ay your 30SF problem has been discussed ad nauseum on other threads.

I agree you use of terminology is very confusing, nevertheless the problem of getting the tops of your polymer mags chewed up points to a frame fit issue, not a trigger bar.

There have been some reports that the frame slide rails on rare 30sf's are too low. If you send this back to Glock with your mags, they may send you a new gun-- assuming you decribe the problem fully.. Instead of dallying with web jockies, I think that is the definite way to go.
Old 02-03-2012, 19:27   #16
ColCol

I don't know why it is my terminology of the word"cam" is confusing. That's what it is or it can be called a vertical extension. Per a Glock manual I've seen...

"On top of the trigger bar is the firing pin safety cam. The nose of the cam rests in the front of the firing pin safety plunger when the system is at rest. As you pull the trigger, the bar moves back and the cam pushes the plunger up into the slide and out of the path of the firing pin. When the firing pin is released at the end of the trigger stroke, the cam holds the plunger up out of the way."

The Gun Digest Book of the Glock, p. 39.

At any rate we now know what I was talking about. I don't profess to be a Glock armorer. If I was, I sure wouldn't be here.

Last edited by ColCol; 02-03-2012 at 19:29..
Old 02-03-2012, 20:18   #17
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Quote:
OK, guys I need help again. The problem I was having with my G30SF may have been due in part to a bend trigger bar so, I replaced it with the stock one I still had but now the trigger won't work nor can I get the slide off. What did I do? You can rack the slide but the trigger doesn't reset so you can pull it and take the slide off.
To your orginal problem, you either forgot to install the trigger spring or, installed it incorrectly.

Just pull the trigger forward from both sides if you want to reset it. But if it is already in the pulled position the slide should just release after you move the slide back and pull the slide lock down.

Maybe the recoil spring was/is hung up on the frame...
Old 02-03-2012, 20:34   #18
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Quote:
I don't know why it is my terminology of the word"cam" is confusing. That's what it is or it can be called a vertical extension. Per a Glock manual I've seen...

"On top of the trigger bar is the firing pin safety cam. The nose of the cam rests in the front of the firing pin safety plunger when the system is at rest. As you pull the trigger, the bar moves back and the cam pushes the plunger up into the slide and out of the path of the firing pin. When the firing pin is released at the end of the trigger stroke, the cam holds the plunger up out of the way."

The Gun Digest Book of the Glock, p. 39.

At any rate we now know what I was talking about. I don't profess to be a Glock armorer. If I was, I sure wouldn't be here.
In thinking about the action the vertical extention creates, you are right to call it a cam. It works just like a cam/lobe on a valve/crank system. I was applying trade thoughts and I was wrong in both acounts. I am sorry for the confusion.

I have only used the V. extention as it was taught to me.
As a Glock Armorer then I shouldn't profess to educate you any further in what is causing your problems, if in your opinion, I don't belong here.
Old 02-03-2012, 21:27   #19
ColCol

You're a little thin skinned tonight. When I said I wouldn't be here if I was a Glock Armorer I meant I'd probably already know how to fix my problem. Makes sense doesn't it?

I think(but what do I know) what's cased the mags to be chewed up is the slide being too low There's nothing else that runs over the magazine lips but the slide. the must be lower by a few thousands in the rear than in the front. I can't see what else it could be. I dont' know if that's affected the feeding or whether that still remains unknown.
Old 02-04-2012, 18:24   #20
cciman

That is the reported problem I was referring to.

Usually this problem is tearing up the top of the cruciform on the trigger bar assembly, but your's sounds severe if it is eating up the tops of the mags. Please consider sending to Glock for a possible new frame. You might also demand to have matching serial numbers when you send it in.
Good Luck. over and out!

Quote:
You're a little thin skinned tonight. When I said I wouldn't be here if I was a Glock Armorer I meant I'd probably already know how to fix my problem. Makes sense doesn't it?

I think(but what do I know) what's cased the mags to be chewed up is the slide being too low There's nothing else that runs over the magazine lips but the slide. the must be lower by a few thousands in the rear than in the front. I can't see what else it could be. I dont' know if that's affected the feeding or whether that still remains unknown.