Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:09   #1
ARP

Range expectations

In 1990 I bought a Glock 19. It was at the time a really hot gun to own. It became a safe queen, I probably have less than 200 rounds thru it. For whatever reason I just never caught on with the idea or interest to get into the purchase/practice/proficiency cycle of gun ownership. Lately I seem to have caught the bug to develop my abilities and am planning to enter the cycle of gun ownership. I'll be taking the NRA Basic Pistol course later this spring, I have lined up a deal on a 98% condition Ruger Single Six .22 lr or Mag(2 cylinders) for an economic practice weapon, and am toying with the idea of joining the SASS for sheets and giggles.

Currently looking at ranges in my area to join so I have a place where I can safely go practice. The one closest to me, the pistol range seems to be an after thought. What should I expect to find/see at a range? Looked at a few youtube videos, my local range is lacking. See pics. The building is to my rear, pond to my left, table/structure in front and the target area. I think the club is under $50 a year to join, have not made contact with the membership powers that be yet. I'm thinking a spent brass can would be there, I saw alot of casings on the ground. Range rules posted? Nothing. Target area? The T has steel hanging there, the ground level targets are fixed to the spare tires, the pallets are there to attach targets to vs a proper fixture. I might have other options further away, this one is real close to home. I would have no problem donating my time and effort to renovate the range, what should I see at a nice range?
Attached Thumbnails
General Firearms Forum - Click for larger version   General Firearms Forum - Click for larger version   General Firearms Forum - Click for larger version   General Firearms Forum - Click for larger version  
ARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:17   #2
KarlThomas

That range looks perfect for me. To each their own. I just like being outside with some trees around me and plenty of fresh air. As long as that place isn't busy. Doesn't look like there's room for multiple shooters. That's how my range is too, but I'm almost always the only person shooting, so it's all good.

$50 for a year is a steal.

Last edited by KarlThomas; 01-30-2012 at 12:27..
KarlThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:21   #3
itslucky

good luck & good shooting!
itslucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:21   #4
tim12232
Pistolero

I would much rather shoot outdoors than indoors! Looks good to me!
tim12232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:26   #5
ithaca_deerslayer

First general rule of thumb is you want as few idiots around as possible. That's hard to know until you actually start going there and see who shows up and what they do. But keep it in mind. No matter the facilities, this should be your first concern. If idiots are there, you might decide not to be. Ever.

Another thing to think about, if it is a somewhat busy range is whether the pistol and rifle ranges are separate. You can have a good range be more difficult when rifles and pistols are shot at the same place. This is not a deal breaker all, but just makes it harder for everyone to get along. You are setting targets at 25 yards, and they are setting targets at 300 yards. You want to walk out and do some quick draw and shoots. They want to hang back and sit at the bench. Just makes things harder to coordinate.

A nice thing about clubs is getting to shoot with other people. Do they have people interested in what you are interested in? If you like skeet, are they shooting skeet? If you like bullseye pistol, do they organize bullseye pistol matches? If you like cowboy action shooting, do that have cowboy action shooting events? If you are a woman, do they have women's shooting events? If you like drinking, do they have a bar? Stuff like that.
ithaca_deerslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 14:06   #6
ARP

This is an old club

I took my Hunter's Safety course there when I was 16. I am now 52. There is separate rifle, and skeet ranges along with what looks like a .22 range next to the pistol range. I know they shoot alot of trap there, and the place is only really busy when hunting season is drawing near as I can hear the gunfire from my house several miles away. They have a website and a phone number, the phone is never answered. I saw a sign that stated Weds nights are practice nights for skeet, so I may try to call then. From what I can tell it appears to me as though the pistol range is almost unused. 2 times I have been there the place is empty.

There is another range nearby me as well, it has an indoor range as well as an outdoor but the outdoor range is nothing more than a backstop dug into a hillside, muddy, no fixtures to attach a target to, so I'm thinking that everyone was using indoors over the winter. I'm hearing there are "factions" trying to dictate how things will be run, kind of a do as i say not as I do (read idiots on a power trip). It is a crowded place, all LEO qualify there and the range is closed to the public when that is going on.

I'll throw out the rest of the pics of the place. I am thinking that should I join, I will certainly do my part to upgrade in any way I can that they will permit. I'm feeling that based on your responses that this might be a good place to get my practice in but it is not a highly public location for training etc.
Attached Thumbnails
General Firearms Forum - Click for larger version   General Firearms Forum - Click for larger version   General Firearms Forum - Click for larger version   General Firearms Forum - Click for larger version   General Firearms Forum - Click for larger version  

General Firearms Forum - Click for larger version  
ARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 14:10   #7
sciolist

Here's ours: http://cosa.netgarage.net/air_pictures_of_the_range.htm

The Practical pistol bays are the 5 shown as "CPS Area". One is 100 yards, the other 4 are 30 yards; 2 of them are shoot houses. Each bay has a shelter and woodstove.

The handgun practice range is 100 yards, with canopy and benches.

There are two more 100 yard bays between the CPS and Cowboy areas. All bays are fully bermed.
sciolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 14:34   #8

Here's my range;

General Firearms Forum

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 14:48   #9
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARP View Post
In 1990 I bought a Glock 19. It was at the time a really hot gun to own. It became a safe queen, I probably have less than 200 rounds thru it. For whatever reason I just never caught on with the idea or interest to get into the purchase/practice/proficiency cycle of gun ownership. Lately I seem to have caught the bug to develop my abilities and am planning to enter the cycle of gun ownership. I'll be taking the NRA Basic Pistol course later this spring, I have lined up a deal on a 98% condition Ruger Single Six .22 lr or Mag(2 cylinders) for an economic practice weapon, and am toying with the idea of joining the SASS for sheets and giggles.

Currently looking at ranges in my area to join so I have a place where I can safely go practice. The one closest to me, the pistol range seems to be an after thought. What should I expect to find/see at a range? Looked at a few youtube videos, my local range is lacking. See pics. The building is to my rear, pond to my left, table/structure in front and the target area. I think the club is under $50 a year to join, have not made contact with the membership powers that be yet. I'm thinking a spent brass can would be there, I saw alot of casings on the ground. Range rules posted? Nothing. Target area? The T has steel hanging there, the ground level targets are fixed to the spare tires, the pallets are there to attach targets to vs a proper fixture. I might have other options further away, this one is real close to home. I would have no problem donating my time and effort to renovate the range, what should I see at a nice range?
Looks fine to me.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 15:09   #10
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim12232 View Post
I would much rather shoot outdoors than indoors! Looks good to me!

I very rarely shoot indoors. I hate it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote