Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-31-2012, 18:43   #1
Brooklyn123456

Send a message via AIM to Brooklyn123456
.38 Spl 135 Grain +P Gold Dot One Stop Shooting (updated from yesterday)

NYPD: Off-duty cop kills mugger in Brooklyn
Second suspect flees but is later arrested

By Dan Beekman AND Rocco Parascandola — Tuesday, January 31st, 2012 ‘The New York Daily News’

An off-duty police detective shot a 17-year-old mugger dead in Brooklyn Sunday after the youth attacked him with a cane, authorities said.

The dead teen’s 15-year-old accomplice fled the scene but was later arrested, cops said.

Police sources said Detective Benjamin Cintron, a 26-year veteran, appears to have used justifiable force in shooting Antoine White.

The two teens tailed the 50-year-old detective for more than a block as he walked to the subway in Bushwick en route to his assignment at Brooklyn North Nightwatch.

Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne, the NYPD's top spokesman, said the fatal confrontation unfolded in a matter of seconds about 11:50 p.m. on Grove St. The 15-year-old grabbed the detective's arm from behind and indicated he had a gun in his jacket pocket, Browne said.

"As the (detective) is looking behind him, he's suddenly confronted by somebody in front of him who he doesn't see until he's just there," Browne said.

"Run your pockets!" White yelled, using slang for empty your pockets.

As Cintron did that, White struck the slightly built detective in the face with cane, Browne said.

The officer takes out his shield and off-duty 38-caliber, five-shot Smith and Wesson and instructs White to stop and to drop it, meaning the cane," Browne said. "(White’s) advancing on him. The officer fires once."

The bullet entered and exited White's left forearm then struck him in the left chest. He died at nearby Woodhull Hospital.

The 15-year-old ignored Cintron's commands to stop and ran off. But police later identified him and asked his grandmother to turn him in.

Browne said the boy told police they picked on the detective because of his size 5foot-6 and 155 pounds.

"He was viewed potentially as an easy mark," Browne said.

The 83rd Precinct incident marked the third time this month that cops have fatally shot someone in Brooklyn.

Police killed gun-toting carjacker Christopher Kissane in Cypress Hills on Jan. 26.

On Jan. 12, police shot and killed Duane Browne behind his East New York home. It was discovered later that he was packing heat to defend his half-brother, a suspected drug dealer who was being robbed at gunpoint.

Old 01-31-2012, 19:39   #2
cowboy1964

Shot placement + good ammo
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 14:35   #3
2afreedom

This incident gives me new respect for the .38. Glad the detective is okay.

Last edited by 2afreedom; 02-01-2012 at 14:38..
2afreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 15:32   #4
Tiro Fijo

The Short Barrel loads are certainly wonderful. I carry them in a Colt Dick Special. Extremely accurate as well.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 18:14   #5
muscogee

The 38 Special is seriously underrated.

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 18:28   #6
pistoleer

Wow I thought they completely phased out their revolvers years ago even for off duty use, but since he is an old timer I guess that explains it.
This post also gives me more faith in the 38spl granted I always considered a 1 shot stop to be a 1 shot instant kill. Who knows how long it took for the kid to bleed to death.
pistoleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 19:08   #7
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistoleer View Post
...I always considered a 1 shot stop to be a 1 shot instant kill. Who knows how long it took for the kid to bleed to death.

Who cares as long as they cease & desist. That is why one shoots to "stop" and not necessarily kill, although that sometimes is how the dance ends.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 19:12   #8
Berto
woo woo

Out dated .38sp, no less.
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 20:07   #9
WiskyT
Malcontent

I wonder if we know for certain that it was the GDHP round. We know it's a 38, and NYPD issues the GDHP round for the few codgers around that still carry 38's on duty, but this particular gun could have been loaded with older ammo he had left over from before the GDHP days.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 23:24   #10
chugokujin

Its for certain that its the GDHP. The old Federal Nyclad 158grainers have been phased out for years. NO way he would carry it as he would be opening a lhuge legal can of worms. The ammo distruted during yearly re-quals is current duty load.
chugokujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 23:46   #11
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

"Slow but sure moves the might of the gods"

Respect them.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:34   #12
Brucev

"The bullet entered and exited White's left forearm then struck him in the left chest. He died at nearby Woodhull Hospital." Interesting given the short barreled .38 Special revolver and the less than heavy bullet.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 17:55   #13
pistoleer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucev View Post
"The bullet entered and exited White's left forearm then struck him in the left chest. He died at nearby Woodhull Hospital." Interesting given the short barreled .38 Special revolver and the less than heavy bullet.
Nothing says how big this kid was. Maybe it went through his scrawny forearm or maybe he had a lot of meat on his forearm and it never even hit bone before entering his chest.
pistoleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 22:13   #14
BFN

The 135 gr +P Gold Dot is my favorite 38sp round for carry. I prefer 45 ACP, but the 38sp has definately proven itself to do the job. I carry the 38sp when mowing the lawn or other work around the house when I want something lighter.
BFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 16:14   #15
writwing

Interesting. A non-leo would have been charged in many districts.
Old 02-25-2012, 17:19   #16
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by writwing View Post
Caliber Corner

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 17:55   #17
2afreedom

Quote:
As much as I believe you are probably trolling, care to articulate why an older, "slightly built" male would be charged for shooting one of two young, apparently stronger males, who were robbing him and attacking him with a deadly weapon?

Last edited by 2afreedom; 02-26-2012 at 17:57..
2afreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 14:00   #18
rwrjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2afreedom View Post
As much as I believe you are probably trolling, care to articulate why an older, "slightly built" male would be charged for shooting one of two young, apparently stronger males, who were robbing him and attacking him with a deadly weapon?
What city did this happen in again?

A man is none the less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years. --Lysander Spooner

Last edited by rwrjr; 02-27-2012 at 14:01.. Reason: changed state to city
rwrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 15:13   #19
Glockbuster

tnoutdoors9 sim test of the Speer 38 spcl+P 135 gr. short barrel
Glockbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 15:47   #20
EMTCOP

Quote:
This is certainly troll behavior, but I will address the post anyway....

The shooting COULD ( I say "could" because I wasn't there, and don't have all the information that NYPD has. ) have been justified because of two issues. The first issue is that one of the suspects was armed with a weapon that could cause death or great bodily injury.

The second issue is something called "disparity of force." This applies because the detective was outnumbered, and due to his small stature, was in danger of death or great bodily injury.

On the face of it, it sounds like a good shoot to me. If you play stupid games, be prepared to win stupid prizes.
EMTCOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:02   #21
rwrjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTCOP View Post
This is certainly troll behavior, but I will address the post anyway....
Absolutely not troll behavior. Remember this took place in NYC. Not exactly a gun friendly city and certainly not a shall issue location.

I agree writwing, a non-leo, in NYC, even in a clearly life threatening defensive shoot, might be charged with something. Carrying/possession without a permit or something similar. LEO types shouldn't get their panties in a bunch and start throwing around the troll word. LEO typically get the benefit of the doubt that average Joe might not. Plus you're allowed to carry 24x7, no questions asked. It all depends on where you live and what *********s are making the laws, and what other *********s are choosing what and whom to prosecute. To suggest otherwise is ignoring reality.

A man is none the less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years. --Lysander Spooner
rwrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:22   #22
Ak.Hiker

I like the fact that police officers carry when off duty. Makes it that much safer for the good guys. You never know what the need may be.
Ak.Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote