Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:23   #1
Kwesi

Precision Delta vs IMI 180gr FMJ Comparison

Last night I finished off the last of my PD bullets & opened up my first box of IMI's. I compared them & found the IMI was 1,000 shorter but the copper jacket was thicker.

Would these slight differences require any change to my receipe:

Blue Dot
10.6gr
Starline nickel (10mm)
1.255-1.260 OAL
Win LPP

Thanks!
Kwesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:38   #2
PCJim

Kwesi, I presume you meant that the IMI bullet was .001 shorter than the PD bullet of the same profile (ie, JHP:JHP or FMJ:FMJ)? I don't have a reloading book in front of me, but if you're not pushing max charges, it won't make a noticable difference. If you think about it, if the new bullet ends up with the round at the same COL as you had with the PD bullets, you will have slightly more volume (~.001) inside the case.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 14:40   #3
Kwesi

PCJim: oops! Yes 1/1000 shorter. I was wondering if the thicker copper jacket has any significant affect? Regarding shorter vs longer bullets: isn't shorter only a potential safety blanket anyways?
Kwesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 17:24   #4
PCJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwesi View Post
PCJim: oops! Yes 1/1000 shorter. I was wondering if the thicker copper jacket has any significant affect? Regarding shorter vs longer bullets: isn't shorter only a potential safety blanket anyways?
Short answer, yes, all other things equal. Whether the jacket is thick or thin would not matter if the outside dimensions of the bullet (length, diameter, ogive, bearing surface) are all the same. What could change is the bearing surface between the two bullets, as one may have a more pointed nose/ogive. This would have some bearing on the performance which is why I qualified my answer by stating "if you are not pushing max charges".

If the shorter projectile is seated to the same COL as your prior loads, you should have .001 x diameter more volume in the case, your "safety blanket".
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 17:53   #5
firefighter4215

I'd like to know how those IMI bullets compare to PD bullets with regard to accuracy. The PD bullets seem to do well.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
firefighter4215 is offline   Reply With Quote