Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-01-2012, 15:48   #1
jr05

Dillon Eliminator Scale Issue?

Well, I have a dillon eliminator scale that was originally very happy with (the first couple times I used it). However, the more I use it, the more I notice that it does not keep its zero. If I zero it, then put an item on it and measure it, I get one number, take it off and put it back on, different number. Then I take the item off and the scale is no longer zeroed. If I re-zero it (using the foot) and put the item back on, I get the original correct number (calibrated weight set).

It appears the issue is with the pivot points. If you move the beam a little bit to one side you get high values, move it the other way and you get lower values. This can move easily between powder measurements during a batch.

I am assuming this is an issue that I should send it back to Dillon for? It gives the correct readings as long as I am careful with it and keep an eye on balance between every measurement, but still sounds like I got a bum unit.

This is not how they all are right? Should have just gone with lee....

jr05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 17:30   #2
PCJim

Did someone recommend.... 5-0-5?
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 18:16   #3
unclebob

Call Dillon and see what they say.
GSSF Life Member
Old 02-01-2012, 19:56   #4
dkf

What are you sitting the scale on?
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 20:02   #5
njl

Mine's not that bad, but I've noticed that I have to screw around with the foot every so often to rezero it. I keep it on a heavy chest of drawers next to (not on, not touching) the reloading bench. I assumed this was just normal for something capable of weighing such light things. Keep in mind, 0.1gr is 1/70000 lbs.
Old 02-01-2012, 20:32   #6
PCJim

Any drafts in the room? Beam scales are also sensitive to air currents.
Old 02-01-2012, 21:21   #7
D. Manley

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCJim View Post
Any drafts in the room? Beam scales are also sensitive to air currents.
This...and it don't take a lot, any air movement is too much. I might add that any slight movements of the scale itself can create small deviations as well. I "pinned" mine to a fixed position once it was properly leveled up...any number of creative ways to remove possibility of movement.

Last edited by D. Manley; 02-01-2012 at 21:22..
D. Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 00:18   #8
fredj338

AS noted, any movement can throw the scale off. Is it sitting on your bench? The bench top will vibrate as you work the press, that nca be enough, they are really sensative. I mount my press on a shelf on the wall above my bench top.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 00:27   #9
Gokyo

Just buy a digital balance

Courage is grace under pressure
Gokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:47   #10
jr05

The scale is on a separate bench, not touching my reloading bench.

The variation is not 0.1 grains, but more like 1-2 grains at the extreme, and sometimes you can even feel/hear the beam shift. I do get some variation in the 0.1 range every so often that can easily be associated with air current or something like that...those I am not worried about.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:02   #11
dkf

A 1-2 grain variation is no good at all. Probably best to contact Dillon.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:29   #12
Beanie-Bean

Yikes! 1-2 gr. off would have me at all stop and calling Dillon. Do you have a backup scale to check/verify weights?

Beanie-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:31   #13
jr05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie-Bean View Post
Yikes! 1-2 gr. off would have me at all stop and calling Dillon. Do you have a backup scale to check/verify weights?
yes, I have an email in to Dillon. I have a cheap digital I have been confirming on.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:36   #14
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr05 View Post
yes, I have an email in to Dillon. I have a cheap digital I have been confirming on.
I think you would be better off if you called them.
GSSF Life Member
Old 02-02-2012, 09:58   #15
PCJim

DON'T TRUST / RELY ON A CHEAP DIGITAL.... Those scales are well known to not produce consistent readings.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:36   #16
jr05

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCJim View Post
DON'T TRUST / RELY ON A CHEAP DIGITAL.... Those scales are well known to not produce consistent readings.
Yes, I have only been using it to ensure the eliminator is "on the right hinge point" and giving values in the right range. When the eliminator is zeroed it does give very accurate results.

Regardless, I will be holding off on any reloading until I get the scale replaced from Dillon.

Last edited by jr05; 02-02-2012 at 10:37..
Old 02-02-2012, 10:50   #17
ron59
Bustin Caps

I was having similar problems with my Eliminator. I bought the digital scale that Brian Enos recommended a few years ago, that UniqueTek sells:
http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1250

It's only $65, but I bought it as I saw Brian recommand it, and UniqueTek carries pretty much only quality stuff.

I've had this for over two years and it is SPOT ON. I bought a small set of check weights (has weights as small as 1 grain) and anytime I want to weigh some charges I verify that the scale is measuring the check weights properly first. Always dead on. The weight set has multiple small weights, so if my desired charge is 3gr or 4g, I can get either of those with the check weights and verify.

For those of you who say "don't buy cheap digitals", I'd rather have this over my Eliminator any day. Matter of fact... the Eliminator will get sold when I can find a buyer. I'm done with it.

If the digital that I have now ever craps out, I will probably spring for Dillon's D-Terminator.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:23   #18
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Well, I have a dillon eliminator scale that was originally very happy with (the first couple times I used it). However, the more I use it, the more I notice that it does not keep its zero. If I zero it, then put an item on it and measure it, I get one number, take it off and put it back on, different number. Then I take the item off and the scale is no longer zeroed. If I re-zero it (using the foot) and put the item back on, I get the original correct number (calibrated weight set).

It appears the issue is with the pivot points. If you move the beam a little bit to one side you get high values, move it the other way and you get lower values. This can move easily between powder measurements during a batch.

I am assuming this is an issue that I should send it back to Dillon for? It gives the correct readings as long as I am careful with it and keep an eye on balance between every measurement, but still sounds like I got a bum unit.

This is not how they all are right? Should have just gone with lee....

If your looking for real help then here is my recommendation.

If you beam is truly not working. Call Dillon they will swap it out. No cost. Easy solution.

BUT

Beams need to be used right.

1) They simply can not move. Mine is ziptied in place. You can use some Poster Putty to lock it in place FROM THE SIDE. Basically, make it so it can't slide.
2) You need to look at the scale head on. Not from above.
3) Make sure the beam moves freely. Zero it. Drop a couple granules of powder in it. Something less then .1 gr should cause it to move if you kinda drop it in.
4) Make sure the beam is not sideways a little on it's pivot. You can knock it off when you put things off and on the scale. Having the scale anchored like I mentioned and being careful is the key.

If you truly think the Lee is a better scale your crazy. Cheaper yes, works yes, better, crazy.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:25   #19
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
How do you know the Electric isn't off? Are you using the same test weight each time? Just want to be sure.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:56   #20
Beanie-Bean

Steve,

Thanks for the notes about the beam scale having to be as still as possible. I always wondered why there was a bit of a drift from time to time on mine.

I got one of the RCBS Chargemaster combos a while back to "check" the accuracy of the Eliminator during batches, but also for load development. That thing has been pretty accurate for me, and now that I know about the beam scale placement (off the bench...) then I'll see how it does by itself.

Beanie-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote