Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:51   #1
Marcus71

The time has come to add a 1911 to the collection! Welcome your thoughts.

Hi everyone

Been hanging in general glocking for a while but first post here in 1911. Greetings to you all.

Anyway, I've reached the inevitable moment when it's time to add a 1911 (in 45ACP) to the collection. I've read through the Buyers Guide a few times on 1911 Addicts a few times.

My shooting buddy has a few 1911s that I've shot - a Para that I wasn't really feeling the vibe with and the slide kept sticking and a Kimber Pro Carry II that I shoot better than any gun I've ever had in my hands, so at the moment I'm leaning towards a Kimber as it handles superbly for me, but looking for other advice too as I know they do have their detractors and wouldn't buy a gun just for Koolaid purposes.

This will be a range/target gun not a carry gun so I'd probably choose a steel frame as weight is not a factor. Barrel-wise I'm open on 4" or 5". My budget is $900-1000.

My current picks in the Kimber line are Stainless II (or Stainless Target II) or Pro Carry HD II. Should I be looking at a Springfield Loaded too?

Any other suggestions and advice welcome

Cheers
Mark
Marcus71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:53   #2
KillStick

My best advice, turn away and just start running. Its a terrible terrible disease that once you contract it, it will suck your bank account dry. Trust me just start running and don't stop till you get to Smyrna, Georgia.

KillStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:57   #3
knedrgr

Don't get one...

Springfield Range Officer.
COTEFT #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

knedrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:00   #4
craig19

I would advoid Para at all costs, same with Taurus. In your price range you should also check out STI and Springfield in addition to Kimber.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:56   #5
jrs93accord

Choices, where to start? There are a lot of good 1911s out there in that price range. Several that are much cheaper in price. The Kimbers are fine pistols. I own about 16 of them. I carry a Stainless Pro Carry II. For a Range/Target pistol, you may also want to consider a few others. For instance.....

Remington 1911-R1 Enhanced
1911 Forums

STI SPARTAN
1911 Forums

American Classic Trophy
1911 Forums

RUGER SR1911
1911 Forums

DESERT EAGLE 1911-G
1911 Forums

Kimber Eclipse (if you can find one)
1911 Forums

These are just a few of the many choices

A bad day shooting beats a great day working!
jrs93accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:57   #6
glock2740
Gun lover.

The Kimber TLE has alot of features that are desired on a 1911. Just beware, once you get a 1911, it won't be your last.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 14:09   #7
plouffedaddy

Here's my Kimber experience:
http://gunreviewguy.blogspot.com/201...ii-review.html

Others have had awesome Kimbers, but the above story is what I dealt with. I'll never buy another.

Now, in your price range, my vote goes for a Springfield Loaded model. They have tons of models (I currently have 3 ), most with factory night sights. My recommendation would be the black stainless models; the photos don't do them justice. They're beautiful production guns.

1911 Forums

I've also had very good experiences with Smith and Wesson 1911s, but mine have all been E-Series models so they'd be a tad over your budget:

1911 Forums

If you're used to Glocks with their out of the box reliabiliy you may be dissapointed with your 1911. Don't get me wrong, MANY are extremely reliable, but quite a few aren't without a little tuning (especially extractor tension). That's why I'd go with a company with a reputation for great customer service. I've had very positive experiences with S&W, Springfield, and RIA customer service when it comes to 1911 manufactures.

Certified Glock Armorer
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 14:56   #8
jrs93accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
Here's my Kimber experience:
http://gunreviewguy.blogspot.com/201...ii-review.html

Others have had awesome Kimbers, but the above story is what I dealt with. I'll never buy another.

Now, in your price range, my vote goes for a Springfield Loaded model. They have tons of models (I currently have 3 ), most with factory night sights. My recommendation would be the black stainless models; the photos don't do them justice. They're beautiful production guns.

1911 Forums

I completely forgot about the Springfield Loaded Target. It will close to your max price unless you can find a really nice used one like I did.

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

Old 02-03-2012, 15:06   #9
Marcus71

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys! Lots of recommendations there. And thanks for the addiction warnings too

The only one I've had direct experience of is the Ruger SR1911 that a guy at the range had - a few of us shot it and none of us were particularly accurate with it - I didn't feel it handled as nicely as some others.

Am going to the range tomorrow and am going to rent a few and see how things pan out. Do like the look of the Kimber Eclipse (might be a bit pricey though) & black stainless SA Loaded!

Any more recommendations, keep them coming!

Happy shooting.
Old 02-03-2012, 15:30   #10
jrs93accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus71 View Post
Wow, thanks for all the replies guys! Lots of recommendations there. And thanks for the addiction warnings too

The only one I've had direct experience of is the Ruger SR1911 that a guy at the range had - a few of us shot it and none of us were particularly accurate with it - I didn't feel it handled as nicely as some others.

Am going to the range tomorrow and am going to rent a few and see how things pan out. Do like the look of the Kimber Eclipse (might be a bit pricey though) & black stainless SA Loaded!

Any more recommendations, keep them coming!

Happy shooting.
Good luck and keep us posted. BTW, 1911s are not all that addictive. I only have 81 of them.

Old 02-03-2012, 17:22   #11
shatteringstar
Suspicious Pack

i dont own one yet, but the STI's are really attracting my attention lately.
shatteringstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 17:39   #12
John Eastwood

For your 1st 1911, why not go 100% American? I did and I'm damn glad.

S&W E-Series 1911

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

1911 Forums
John Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 21:18   #13
bac1023

STI Trojan

Its the perfect $1000 range 1911.

bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 22:38   #14
20South

Not to start the "few dollars more" comments, but here is a Doublestar on GB for $1099.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=272143153

1911 Forums
Old 02-04-2012, 05:09   #15
Lew-G17

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
The Kimber TLE has alot of features that are desired on a 1911. Just beware, once you get a 1911, it won't be your last.
I had one of these for quite a while. It gave excellent service and was very accurate.

I have also had great experiences with 1911's by Colt, Springfield, and STI.

There are a lot of 1911's on the market now in your price range, try out as many as you can, but heed the warnings above, this will not be your last 1911 purchase.

I have recently cut back and still have several.

Lew-G17
Lew-G17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 14:59   #16
glockarmor

Kimber Gen I would be my choice.

1911 Forums
Old 02-04-2012, 23:34   #17
cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
STI Trojan

Its the perfect $1000 range 1911.
Agreed at that price range. I like the Ruger (all around) and SA Range Officer (target) around $700. In the SA I'll only buy a MN serial # gun, which the SA RO is. At $400-$450 it's the ATI. I do not consider a Kimber II a good value any longer, though I have a Kimber I that I really like. The 1911 is a "price point ~ value" gun more than many/most. You can over pay at a given price point and you might as well move up $200-$300 and get a lot more gun. And, when you hit $1500-$1700 IMO the Les Bear is a hard value to beat until crossing $2500, when IMO it becomes harder and harder to tell the difference anyway. You may have to consider used to get my prices, which is about all I buy.
- When I was strong they came for the weak but I did nothing. Now I am weak and they come for me.

Last edited by cole; 02-04-2012 at 23:35..
cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 18:49   #18
Marcus71

Evening Gents.

Thanks for all the recommendations, spent the day yesterday and afternoon today at various gun shops and ranges and the decision is looking a bit clearer.

Was lucky to get a really knowledgeable and helpful 1911 enthusiast associate at Bill's in Robbinsdale MN who, despite the shop being really busy, spent over an hour going through different models and offering thoughts and advice. I looked at all models recommended her that they had in stock but narrowed it down to the Kimber and SA Loaded. The STI Trojan nearly made the list too but have that earmarked for a future buy - do you guys agree with the associate's suggestion that it's a great gun but not necessarily the best 'first purchase 1911' for someone who isn't familiar with tinkering with internals?

Anyway, off to the range downstairs with a SA Loaded and a Kimber Gold Match (closest rental they had to the custom series). 50 rounds through each, they both handled beautifully but the kimber won on accuracy - my groups were consistent and significantly tighter than with the SA. I also preferred the trigger, sights and slightly less perceived recoil of the Kimber.

So after much wailing and gnashing of teeth I think I'm sold on a Kimber but undecided as to which model. I looked at an Eclipse today which is a stunning gun but over my budget - $1175 for the non-target model. My thoughts at this stage are with the stainless target II (at $970)on the basis that that fundamentally there is seemingly little (if any) difference in the internals in the kimbers, with just the cosmetics/finish & sights being the difference in prices. At this stage it's going to be a range gun so night sites, different grips or bling etc. can be added later.

Or do I go for a custom and add different (better?) sights than are included with the target models? Or bite the bullet and go for the eclipse?

Thanks again all for the recommendations!

Cheers
Mark
Old 02-05-2012, 19:05   #19
jrs93accord

Mark,

Even though the the Classic Gold Match is a rental pistol, see if they would sell it to you for a good price. It is a fine pistol. I have one and it is absolutely astonishing.

1911 Forums

If you prefer to go with the Stainless Target II, you would still be making a good choice. That is a good price for that model too. Let us know what you decide. To me, buying a Kimber is a good choice.

James

1911 Forums

Plus this one.
1911 Forums

Last edited by jrs93accord; 02-05-2012 at 19:11..
Old 02-05-2012, 22:31   #20
Marcus71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs93accord View Post
Even though the the Classic Gold Match is a rental pistol, see if they would sell it to you for a good price. It is a fine pistol. I have one and it is absolutely astonishing.
Good idea James, will see if there is a chance of them selling it.

That's a very nice collection of Kimbers you have there!

Cheers
Mark