Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:51   #1
Rcsteffen

H2H combat while armed...

Good Morning Mas. I was just issued my ccw permit last month, and have started carrying regularly. This obviously has me running scenarios through my head regarding how I would/should respond in various situations. One thing that keeps sticking in my head is how my options seemed to have changed now that I'm armed.

I have training in h2h combat, and am pretty comfortable in my ability to protect myself empty handed. However, now that I have a gun on my side, I question whether I should (where retreat is not an option) engage in a h2h confrontation even if I feel I can handle it. If for any reason things don't go my way, others jump in, or the aggressor realizes I have a gun while we are engaged, things could go south very quickly.

Am I now forced to draw my weapon if threatened with physical violence? Do I warn the aggressor that I'm armed and to back off? My fear is some drunken idiot that I'm confident I can handle, but that won't stop advancing if drawn on. I'd hate to have to shoot someone for being stupid, or for having beer muscles. But I don't want to compromise my, or my family's safety, trying to cut some idiot slack.

I'm planning to get further gun training where I got my cert, and they may cover some of this in the class. Until then, just wanted to get some feedback from you and the board. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Last edited by Rcsteffen; 02-05-2012 at 09:58..
Rcsteffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:32   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Rc, welcome to the world of CCW, and the responsibilities that come with it. One of which is, being able to protect the gun in the course of a physical conflict in which drawing the gun may not be appropriate. Another factor is that the armed person is held to a higher standard of care in terms of responsibility to avoid violent encounters.

You can't draw the gun in a situation for the sole reason that otherwise, the other guy "might" gain control of it. That's generally seen as indefensible "bare fear," as opposed to reasonable fear. After all, you were the one who brought the gun to the scene.

It's good that you already have some H2H skills. Augment them as soon as possible with specific handgun retention training. In the meantime, consider a snatch-resistant security holster.

Congratulations on thinking it out ahead of time!

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote