SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:54   #1
MrM4Guy
Hobby Collector

.22 caliber conversion kits

Hello. I am interested in purchasing a replacement for my Browning Buckmark that was stolen with either one of three choices. A- Another Buckmark since I liked the gun very much, and from the sounds of the reviews of my next choice, was more reliable than I thought. It did have FTE's but for the most part was pretty accurate, easy to clean compared to my prior Ruger, and fun to shoot. B- Buy one of these new polymer .22 pistols ( Walther P22 or Sig Mosquito ) but have heard they are very finicky with ammunition. Or B- purchase a .22 conversion kit for my Kimber Warrior II.
Of my choices, I would appreciate any input from the group. Bodyarmorguy, I know that you are gonna read this, so what is your opinion?
I am leaning more towards replacing the Buckmark, but since I love my Kimber, a conversion kit would require no DROS, and the ability to practice with my Kimber platform at a more economical price. If I do go the route of conversion kit, go Kimber? Or is there a better or cheaper one I should consider?
Thanks.
I forgot to add that using a conversion kit for my Glock 19 or 29 is not out of the question.

Last edited by MrM4Guy; 02-06-2012 at 01:56.. Reason: Ask another question.
MrM4Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:07   #2
Hawker Man

For the money I'd go with the Buckmark, that way you would have two guns and would not have to mess with swapping parts. The Buckmark is reasonably priced and a very good gun to boot. The conversions are neat but I personally don't like them. A 45 is a 45 and a 22 is a 22.
"Rock on"
Hawker Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:29   #3
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

the Kimber conversion rocks
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:02   #4
bruzer

My buddy has the Kimber conversion. At first he did not like it so much until he got the ammo it likes to use. He is happy with it now. I have the Tactical Solutions for Glock (they make one for 1911's too) and like it very well. Sure you can get another .22 that will be fun to shoot and reliable but all my .22 shooting keeps the same trigger feel and muscle memory for my carry weapon and fits in my holster. No other .22 can do that.
Good luck and stay safe,
Mike
bruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:13   #5
Road Dog

I have a Kimber conversion and a Walther P22. I would choose the conversion over the P22.
Road Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:39   #6
ken grant

I luv conversions.

AA----- Glocks 19/23,20/21 & 1911----ammo picky

Ciener 1911-------------- works with most ammo

Ciener AR-----------------works with most ammo

Military M261 for AR------- works with most ammo

On the above, I had rather have a complete AR upper because of sight changes I have to make when using the conversions.

GSG 1911-22----------- works great but don't like a well as conversions

Ruger 22/45------------- same as GSG
ken grant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:47   #7
Lew-G17

My kimber conversion was rock solid reliable. It was fun to shoot, but I sold it to fund a project. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Lew-G17
Lew-G17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 16:37   #8
MrM4Guy
Hobby Collector

I would address each post separately, but everyone has good advice and I appreciate the response!
I am now down to probably the Kimber conversion or getting another Browning Buckmark.
Again, if I forgot, if the Kimber conversion is ammunition sensitive, what does it like or not like? I prefer to shoot Winchester Power Points out of my 10-22's and have a stockpile of those.
Old 02-06-2012, 16:43   #9
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

My Kimber happily eats all but the cheapest bulk-22 ammo (American Eagle and the Winchester 333 packs). I did swap out the goofy oversized sights for a sexy set of Champions. It is amazingly accurate for an auto, on par with any other I've shot over the years.

Last edited by FLIPPER 348; 02-06-2012 at 16:44..
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 18:10   #10
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

I have a Kimber conversion. I have run it on several different frames including Springfields.
It has always been reliable and I have no real complaints about it.

If however I had the choice to do a do over. I would have spent a little more and bought the marvel kit. The steel chamber insert alone is worth the extra.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 21:09   #11
hercster

While not cheap, take a look at Tactical Solutions. Their unit for the 1911 is all steel and locks back. Because of the weight, it feels "normal" on my steel commander. I got mine with a combo rail so that I can use an RDS. The biggest issue is the cost of the mags. They are superbly designed and finished but pricey. Prices on the conversion vary quite a bit so shop around. If serious about one, PM me for a tip at where to buy.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:47   #12
SigFTW

Kimber conversion kit! Remington bulk and Winchester all work, I do have some FTF however, I am still braking it in and will try some other types of ammo.
SigFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 15:33   #13
RH45

Marvel Unit 1, less than an inch at 50 yards.
RH45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 17:51   #14
MrM4Guy
Hobby Collector

Dang it!!! Now that I almost came to a decision, I see that Ruger came out with their SR22. From what I have read, for the newer style polymer type .22 pistols,this is one of the best and digests ammunition the best out of the rest of the pack. Decisions, decisions......
Old 02-07-2012, 18:05   #15
hercster

At risk of the obvious, I think buying a 22 requires some upfront careful though on the intended end use and expectations. Within the conversion unit field, the Marvel Unit 1 will deliver excellent accuracy and a better feel if one moves up to their new steel model with the lock back feature. My experience with an aluminum model was with the SIG unit for my P-226. I found that too light and somewhat light on the quality of construction too. I suspect that the Kimber would feel much the same as it is in the same general category.

My newish 1911 upper by Tactical Solutions is all steel, very accurate and delivers a 1911 feel except for the lack of recoil. Like the Marvel higher end, this conversion is pricey but the quality is obvious.

I've tried a lightweight Polymer framed pistol and was not impressed.

The other proven category is the Ruger Mark III and Buckmark pistols. They are common in my Steel Challenge club, accurate and very dependable.

We are lucky to have so much choice.
Old 02-07-2012, 18:38   #16
glockarmor

Buckmark with aTacSol barrel.. I love mine
OR a Rock Island XT22.. If you like 1911s you will love this.
1911 Forums
1911 Forums

Last edited by glockarmor; 02-07-2012 at 18:41..
glockarmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 18:50   #17
hercster

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockarmor View Post
Buckmark with aTacSol barrel.. I love mine
OR a Rock Island XT22.. If you like 1911s you will love this.
1911 Forums
1911 Forums
Speaking of Tac Sol, I have a project in my fevered mind that will mate a Tac Lite upper with a Volquartsen frame and guts. Now yer talkin pardner...

Wheeeee!!
Old 02-07-2012, 19:21   #18
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM4Guy View Post
Dang it!!! Now that I almost came to a decision, I see that Ruger came out with their SR22. From what I have read, for the newer style polymer type .22 pistols,this is one of the best and digests ammunition the best out of the rest of the pack. Decisions, decisions......
Best out of what?

The SR22 is a new .22 compact pistol to the market.
It it not a tested weapon that has proven itself to be reliable.
It's a gun that some writer in a magazine claimed was the best or whatever. Like any of the mainstream magazines would dare badmouth a gun's sponsor.

It's pretty hard to mess up a .22 conversion kits, as they have been around for decades and decades.

Ruger MK pistols have as well.
Browning too has been around for a long time making quality .22 pistols with a good rep.

I would hold off a year or so to see how the SR22 fares.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787

Last edited by Jason D; 02-07-2012 at 19:24..
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 22:07   #19
CAcop

I bought a Kimber .22 conversion and like it. I had been thinking of a dedicated .22 but I went with a conversion to practice with my duty gun. A dedicated gun might give more accuracy but ut works for my needs.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 22:26   #20
hercster

Practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
I bought a Kimber .22 conversion and like it. I had been thinking of a dedicated .22 but I went with a conversion to practice with my duty gun. A dedicated gun might give more accuracy but ut works for my needs.
I think there's a lot to be said about practicing with a gun that comes closest to feeling like the gun you NEED to be proficient with. Obviously cost has to be a consideration but if a conversion that is close to the weight of your host's slide can be purchased then that's desirable IMO.

My 1911 with the Tac Sol conversion upper feels just as it would with the .45 ACP tube on top.