Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:31   #41
Unistat

I take my Springfield M6 Scout .22/.410 O/U for funsies and my S&W 13 .357 for everything else.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:52   #42
CBennett

Remington 870 for a camp gun, My Dan Wesson .357 for a woods/trail gun . IF I had a lever action in .357 to go with my Dan Wesson revolver perfect match IMO.
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:12   #43
SigFTW

Hunting rifle (7mm Mag) and Bow (Mathew Monster 7.0)
Side arm 1911 when I am out hunting or at camp.
When I get my Coonan 357, it will replace my 1911 as my camp and hunting side arm.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:15   #44
RedHaze
Handgunner

General Firearms Forum

Something cheap, that you won't mind getting a little rusty. Something tough and powerful. Like a cut down single shot. $50 sounds like a awesome camp gun.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:34   #45
Unistat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
...IF I had a lever action in .357 to go with my Dan Wesson revolver perfect match IMO.
Hear that! I don't know if I'd stop bringing the M6 though. I might have to do away with some other gear to fit the lever gun in the weight limit. I can't wait till the kids are old enough to pack with gear like a sherpa, lol.
Old 08-14-2012, 14:50   #46
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHaze View Post
General Firearms Forum

Something cheap, that you won't mind getting a little rusty. Something tough and powerful. Like a cut down single shot. $50 sounds like a awesome camp gun.
I bought 3 H&R/NEF single shots, in various conditions, for around 150-170 total.
Barrels were cut down to a handy but legal length, the front sight was reinstalled and a HiViz fiber optic sleeve was slipped over the barrel. A set of sling swivel studs and a slip on neoprene shell holder later and bang, a perfect camp gun that doesn't get screwed up if the gun goes over when your canoe tips (having a line attached through the rear sling swivel stud keeps it from being lost in one of the famous internet "boating accidents").

ETA- I gifted the guns to my brothers and a good friend. I have yet to make one of my own.

Last edited by BamaTrooper; 08-14-2012 at 14:51..
BamaTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 14:59   #47
glockurai

Don't go camping much but it would be my Norinco MAK 90. It should be enough.
Old 08-14-2012, 15:13   #48
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unistat View Post
Hear that! I don't know if I'd stop bringing the M6 though. I might have to do away with some other gear to fit the lever gun in the weight limit. I can't wait till the kids are old enough to pack with gear like a sherpa, lol.
yeah ive wanted one for years maybe THAT will be my next buy cant beat something that can take .38 special or .357 in a snubby,regular length revolver and a lever action long gun..and for the most part with me being in PA and nothing bigger than small to medium size black bears(yes now and then they WILL get a 600+ pounder around but thats RARE) .357 out of a lever action and even a 4" revolver is good. But till I get that the 870 pretty much out to 100 yds with a rifled slug barrel is a jack of all trades from pests(with low brass shot) to eating/food(with regular hunting rounds) to self defense with buckshot out to 40 yds or so, and then slugs out to 100 yds .
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 15:16   #49
63bmechanic

i take whatever is in my gun safe that i feel will stop anything intruding into my camp. that goes for snakes all the way up to bear. in my eyes a .22LR isnt going to cut it
63bmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:23   #50
MrGlock21
NRA Instructor

It varies, depending on my whim and how much hiking is involved.
Last time it was a Ruger 10/22 Take Down and a Glock 20. Next time it could be a 260 lightweight bolt gun and the LC9, next time it may be my AK bullpup and a G27 ... whatever.

What I don't have but keep looking at, is a Browning Lever Action Take Down in 243. Intriguing. I know I want one. Question is when to click and order one.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:25   #51
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Truck camping I usually find myself with a Marlin 1894 and a 4-5/8" Super Blackhawk in .44 mag. Always seem to have a 10/22 as well.

Backpacking is a different story - usually just the Blackhawk in .45 Colt or the Super Blackhawk.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:24   #52
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Right now I hike and camp with a Kel Tec Pf9, but I'm shopping around for a lightweight compact .40 or 45, like the S&W Shield in 40 or the Springfield XD-S in .45.

While most of the time I'm just worried about 2 legged predators, my only other concern is if a Coyote, feral dog, or black bear doesn't "get" when you tell it to and decides you smell nice and it wants a taste.
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 15:21   #53
Bill Keith

It's a Simmons1"red dot with 3 MOA dot.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Bill Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 18:55   #54
Glockworks
Ready/Aim/Fire

Camp gun in Alaska, Florida, where?
Glockworks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags