Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-12-2012, 14:07   #1
semiauto

First Rifle, or Improve Shotgun?

Hey all, first post after a long hiatus. It's good to be back.

I'm looking for an opinion here. I have a Remington 870, a G26 (Gen4), and no rifles (I live in the city, so there aren't many places to truly enjoy a good rifle).

That said, I've been considering taking the plunge on a rifle. I would trade the Glock and throw down a few hundred dollars, which I imagine would leave me with a budget of ~$650. I'd probably end up with a 74.

I've also considered buying an 18" bbl for Remy. It's a bone-stock workhorse with a 28" barrel, and I love it. My favorite part about it is the occasional sideways looks I get when I take it trap shooting. I think I might also like to buy a rail system for it.

Can I get some opinions here? I'd even take "save your money."
semiauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 15:33   #2
ZekerMan
ZekerMan

Ok

You got it...."Save your money"
Old 02-12-2012, 15:35   #3
Averageman

General Firearms Forum
I paid $150 for the Remington and spent my time and some spare parts I had laying around and ended up with a multi-purpose shotgun.
I paid $150 for the Marlin 336 SC also. It had been dropped and the stock and muzzle were broken and damaged. trimmed the barrel back and had the sight re mounted, cut the damaged and unsavable 1 inch off of the stock and repaired the rest.
I Truck Bed linered the wood, put a nice scope and mount on it and a peep sight.
I was wanting to write and article about arming yourself on a budget. These two guns were the subject examples.
My point is, "One Man's trash is another Man's treasure." You can do a lot with little money and a willingness to learn some skills.
Shop hard and hit the pawn shops as a return customer, pay in cash and visit them right when the rent is due.
Averageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 15:36   #4
4 glocks

I would not sell your G26 it's a great gun. When you say rifle are you looking for a AR? I would look at a SKS, Marlin 336 30-30 in the $300 range or Russian Nagant less that $200.
A long time ago I found a used 870 barrell for $50 at a gun show and had it cut down to 19". Look for a used barrell.
Old 02-12-2012, 15:36   #5
DoubleWide

Save money.

I'd rather keep a pistol in the city than a rifle that won't get used.
DoubleWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 15:41   #6
battlin bulldog
sand

when you say "improve" your shotgun i take it you mean more suitable for home defense? for the price of a new barrel you could almost get a designated defense shotgun. check out some of the mossberg 500's on budsgunshop. that being said you have a pretty decent home defense weapon with your G26 IMO. a rifle is great but a little overkill for home defense, especially in a city. I think keeping what you have and saving is the best option. but as always keep an eye out for deals that suit your interests.
Old 02-12-2012, 15:45   #7
Rustin

I'll buy your 26...
Rustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 16:02   #8
Nestor
Lean & Mean

I'm in the same wagon here. I'm not living in the city, but I don't need a rifle or carbine. I have no use for it. No time to hunt, ammo prices are crazy and for those reasons I decided to stick with the shotgun and handgun combo. Whatever You decide, just remember that any new rifle isn't really a good investment if You are not going to shoot it. Building a nice shotgun may provide You with the best survival tool around BTW. Two, three different barrels for 870 can cover pretty much a whole spectrum of applications. Good luck.

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 16:10   #9
4 glocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
I'm in the same wagon here. I'm not living in the city, but I don't need a rifle or carbine. I have no use for it. No time to hunt, ammo prices are crazy and for those reasons I decided to stick with the shotgun and handgun combo. Whatever You decide, just remember that any new rifle isn't really a good investment if You are not going to shoot it. Building a nice shotgun may provide You with the best survival tool around BTW. Two, three different barrels for 870 can cover pretty much a whole spectrum of applications. Good luck.

As what Nestor was saying get yourself a slug barrell and now you have a "city" rifle. They can be pretty accurate out to 100-150 yards. Look for a used one and save some money.
Old 02-12-2012, 16:12   #10
VinnieD

Drop $99 on a Mosin Nagant to scratch your rifle itch and stick to a more practical for your situation shotgun.

If you decide you like it you can easily still afford a better rifle or buy a modern stock kit to upgrade the Mosin later.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
VinnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 16:13   #11
tobias boon

You have the pistol and shotgun. Save for whatever rifle, you have it all basically. A more than decent bolt or lever rifle is $300. I have a Marlin 336, great rifle.
tobias boon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 16:18   #12
michael e

If you trade your glock do you have another pistol? I would not trade my only handgun for a rifle .
michael e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 17:10   #13
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I'd upgrade your shotgun first, more bang for your buck.

Gunsmith cut down long barrel and install a new bead, Tac-Star 6rd sidesaddle, Choate +2 mag tube extension, clamp light mount, Surefire G2X, Limbsaver recoil pad, Hogue overmolded forend. All that shouldn't run you much more than $300, and you'll have an outstanding defensive shotgun.

General Firearms Forum

(not an 870, but you get the idea)
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 19:11   #14
Averageman

You might ant to do a quick check of Cabela's.
I hear they have $199 SKS's right now, aparently they want them gone.
You can have a very handy little carbine there for a very nice price and tons of cheap available ammo.
Averageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 19:36   #15
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

I'd keep the Glock above all, and then add an AK.
"He said he fired a burst at the chest and if they didn't fall fast enough, he fired a burst at the face. He never needed to reload and had enough on board so if he missed a shot or two he could catch up in the fight. " -Gabe Suarez, 2008
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 19:45   #16
HalfHazzard
Señor Member

You've already got two fine pieces of hardware in your collection; I say keep 'em, save your money, and continue to add to the collection. Your 870 is a "do-it-all" right now in its current configuration... as long as "all" is outside of 26" or 28".

Considering that at least 3 of 9 of the top legal minds don't feel that the second amendment is actually a right that applies to our citizens, but somehow only legalizes the National Guard for the states, I'm planning on adding guns and not trading them while it's legal to do so.

Last edited by HalfHazzard; 02-12-2012 at 19:47..
HalfHazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:26   #17
semiauto

Thanks kindly gentlemen, there's a lot of good input here, as usual. I think I will end up looking around for a slug bbl for Remy. This is an especially good idea for me, considering that comrade Immanuel won't let us hunt with rifles in the Republic of Illinois.

Any suggestions for slug bbls? I like the idea of a 20" smooth bbl with ghost ring. What can I reasonably expect in terms of accuracy and effective range with this?
semiauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:51   #18
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Keep your Glock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:55   #19
GenoTac Ind.
|KYDEX GEAR>

Keep your Glock, look around for a used 18" barrel with some sights on it. I bought a used cylinder bore 2 3/4-3" 18" barrel with bead sights for $50. Then buy some ammo and be proficient with what you have. That's my take with you being on a budget.

GenoTac Ind. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:09   #20
arclight610

Keep Glock, keep 870, buy short-barreled Mossberg Maverick or 500.

EDIT: For increased ridiculousness:

Part 1) SBS the 870, keep the wood furniture on it, put on Eotech on it, then take it back to the trap range where you normally shoot.

Part 2) Get on one of the major hunting shows. Use your SBS 870 for upland and turkey hunting.

Part 3) Start new trend.

Part 4) Profit.

Last edited by arclight610; 02-13-2012 at 11:18..
arclight610 is offline   Reply With Quote