Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 21:38   #1
RussP

Feds stepping up excessive force cases

Feds stepping up excessive force cases

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
Old 01-18-2012, 15:34   #2
Booker

I'd like to quote Martha, if it's not a violation of the TOS, SOPA, or PIPA, "It's a good thing!"
Old 01-19-2012, 11:12   #3
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booker View Post
I'd like to quote Martha, if it's not a violation of the TOS, SOPA, or PIPA, "It's a good thing!"
What does that mean?

Old 01-19-2012, 17:24   #4
Mister_Beefy
Legal & Proper

"There is political power in putting cellphone video up on YouTube," Browne-Marshall said. "There's actual visual evidence. It can't be ignored by anybody."

this is not a wholly true statement.

plenty of video of police acting inappropriately has been ignored, questioned, rationalized and argued by those with an incontrovertible pro-police bias on this site, including the OP.
Old 01-19-2012, 18:34   #5
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Beefy View Post
"There is political power in putting cellphone video up on YouTube," Browne-Marshall said. "There's actual visual evidence. It can't be ignored by anybody."

plenty of video of police acting inappropriately has been ignored, questioned, rationalized and argued by those with an incontrovertible pro-police bias on this site, including the OP.
Ignored? No.
Questioned? Yes
Rationalized? Not in the way you mean.
Argued? Yes.
An incontrovertible pro-police bias on this site? What part of Eric's statement...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Once again and for the record, I and my site are big fans of LEO's and we support them. You do not have to like them yourself, but you do have to treat them respectfully if you want to post on my site.

Eric
...do you not understand. Don't like the pro-law enforcement attitude here, go somewhere else.

Old 01-20-2012, 19:20   #6
Booker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
What does that mean?
It's a good thing that the Feds are doing these types of investigations.
Old 01-20-2012, 19:45   #7
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booker View Post
It's a good thing that the Feds are doing these types of investigations.
Yes, it is.

Old 01-20-2012, 19:51   #8
wrenrj1

Quoted from the article:

"There is no question that there is a problem," said Sam Walker, emeritus professor of criminal justice at the University of Nebraska, Omaha, and the author of more than a dozen books on police accountability, civil rights and police oversight.

It had to be the school that I received my master's degree, and my wife is finishing hers...
Old 01-20-2012, 20:13   #9
Manolito1

Russ P interesting statement from a moderator.
Definition of MODERATOR

: one who arbitrates : mediator

: one who presides over an assembly, meeting, or discussion: as a : the presiding officer of a Presbyterian governing body b : the nonpartisan presiding officer of a town meeting c : the chairman of a discussion group

: a substance (as graphite) used for slowing neutrons in a nuclear reactor

mod·er·a·tor·ship noun
I understand Eric and his comments and I can accept your house your rules.
My thought is you should change your title from Moderator to Enforcement.
Look at my profile look at my posts and if I am the type person you do not want on this site just send an E-Mail to manolito@frontiernet.net
Respectfully,
Bill
Old 01-20-2012, 20:33   #10
RussP

You're fine, Bill.

I will suggest you contact Eric directly instead of posting on the open forum.

Old 01-21-2012, 00:37   #11
Mister_Beefy
Legal & Proper

"treat them respectfully" =/= glossing over, forgetting about, and making excuses for illegal acts and egregious abuses of power.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:00   #12
RussP

Here's a question for you, M_B, related to the original topic.

Do you believe the government should stay out of a person's life completely until, as an example, that person violates the rights of another?

Last edited by RussP; 01-21-2012 at 07:01..
Old 01-21-2012, 09:05   #13
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Yes, it is.
In general, yes. With regards to *this* AG in *this* administration---you know, the guys who gave the pass to the Black Panthers, who approved Fast & Furious, who're taking the 5th rather than testify about Brian Terry's murder---well, I'll reserve judgement until some facts are in.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Old 01-21-2012, 09:20   #14
Deployment Solu
Kydex Crafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
In general, yes. With regards to *this* AG in *this* administration---you know, the guys who gave the pass to the Black Panthers, who approved Fast & Furious, who're taking the 5th rather than testify about Brian Terry's murder---well, I'll reserve judgement until some facts are in.
Sam, Gotta say I agree. I am a retired LEO and some of what I am seeing these days scares me. The rules do not apply equally as they once did. This administration has given free passes to criminals BECAUSE of their race AND refuses to co-operate with Congressional Committees when they get caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

Integrity seems to be NON-existent to this crowd. Something like people who live in glass houses.....

The world needs less victims and more victors!!!!!

Last edited by Deployment Solu; 01-21-2012 at 09:24..
Old 01-21-2012, 09:22   #15
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
"treat them respectfully" =/= glossing over, forgetting about, and making excuses for illegal acts and egregious abuses of power.
True. But what's that got to do with your posting pattern?
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Old 01-21-2012, 10:00   #16
RussP

Quote:
Yes, it is interesting that those investigating law enforcement agencies are themselves under investigation for egregious behavior.

Old 01-23-2012, 19:20   #17
ICARRY2
NRA Life Member

I remember lapd sergeant stacey koon said on the stand during the first rodney king trial that sometimes police work is a dirty job.
Old 01-30-2012, 22:11   #18
Mister_Beefy
Legal & Proper

Quote:
True. But what's that got to do with your posting pattern?
if you really want to know, PM me.
Old 01-31-2012, 18:03   #19
Mister_Beefy
Legal & Proper

Quote:
Here's a question for you, M_B, related to the original topic.

Do you believe the government should stay out of a person's life completely until, as an example, that person violates the rights of another?

no, I'm not on the wacko end of the libertarian spectrum.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:45   #20
SgtScott31

Quote:

How much of this "inappropriate video" only showed the section of video the person holding the phone wanted the viewer to see? While there are a few out there that may depict a majority of the story, there are far more that only show one side of it. Hence why many officers are cleared of wrongdoing when the whole story comes out in the courtroom. It's sad that a majority of the viewing public (which might include you) forms their opinion on 20 seconds of video edited by the person who has something to lose before posting it on youtube or emailing it to the local media.

Last edited by SgtScott31; 02-02-2012 at 03:47..

Closed Thread