Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:25   #1
leadslinger13

goshen hexsite review

this is going to be slightly long winded as i want to be as thorough as possible.

I have gone through just about every kind of handgun and sight system in my 25 years of shooting. When I shot the my beloved 1911 my final sight of choice was low mount adjustable novak rear and tall novak front both black. I found that it was the best for me. these were a six o'clock hold and all i had to do was fill in the rear gap with front and level as the sites came into view and squeeze. These were tack drivers for me but not without a great deal of practice.

I have come back to glocks in the past couple of years to embrace the glock 20 and the highly versitile 10mm round.

i finally became some what proficient with the grip of and trigger of the glock 20. Next my focus was on a better set of sights.

I have always found that rear sights with any kind of marking (ie dots, u shape outline,etc) distract my eyes. Yes one can train themselves over time to get used to it but there is always the visual struggle and that relates to accuracy and quick target acquistion issues for me. Then if you take some time away from shooting there is a small re training curve.

I did blacken the glock stock sights out and that seemed to work well but still didn't satisfy my needs.

Like everyone if felt the need to have nights sights so i figured i would try three dot system again and installed Tru glo TFO's. Now these were nice but again my eyes struggled with the rear to front focus. Even with best discipline my eyes want to look at the rears.

Now i have used rear peep sights on my rifles for years an found them to be the most relaxing and reliably accurate sights. Your eye automatically centers the front in the circle and seems to funnel light into your eye so you can see the front sight very well. Tech sights on my 10/22, krebs peep for my AK's, mojo peep on my 1911 swedish mauser etc.

I have always thought that a peep rear for a handgun would be nice.

Now a few years back i became aware of the Goshen hexsite via another glock member and found them interesting. I was skeptical about there claims and durability. I read as much as i could yet like everyone else thought it was to good to be true.

After total frustration with my sights i figured what could it hurt. Saved my pennies and purchased them. All i can say is WOW!!!!!

I have held off reviewing these as i wanted to be as thorough as possible. I have had them on my glock 20 for maybe 4 or 5 months.

here is what i found.

1. These are the most comfortable sight to use. No struggle with your concetration with front sight /rear sight focus. in fact with practice you can just focus on your target and bring sight into kind of fuzzy view. this ease of focus has allowed me:

To place a majority of my concetration on my trigger control, grip and stance. This helped me to eleminate the low left syndrom that most glock users develop.

Now I should mention the difference between combat accuracy and target accuracy. Target is tack driving standing still trying to drill all your rounds in one hole . Now that is great if you are not moving and not under stress.
Still its nice to know that you are capable of shooting nice tight groups.

Combat accuracy is being able to hit vital areas while moving and under stress. think about trying to line up your sights while moving or someone is attacking. Probably not going to happen.

2. Accuracy. these sights shine in the combat arena. they are super accurate easy to acquire.. its almost not fair. its like the shooting accurately becomes reflexive.

target accuracy is still achievable. Hitting the bullseye with boring regularity even out to 25 yards and beyond. One only has to look at the front sight like normal and brign it into sharp focus. The rear sight kind of triangulates and centers the front sight with ease. the front sight is textured in such a way that it seems to gather light. I swear there are times when it seems like i can see every little detail of the front sight texturing.

3. using sights while moving. Take your weapon in safe condition of course, line your sights up and move quickly from side to side quickly in a large arc. See how it seems like they won't stay lined up. Not so with these you can swing as fast as you can and the front sight stays in focus and centered.

4. Night sights!!! well i finally came to the conclusion that they really only served the purpose of finding your weapon in the dark. Seriously after long consideration if you can't see your target then you should probably rethink what your about to do.

These sights do work well in low light conditions. Very impressive. I think its the design of the rear that helps.

I found it better to find a good light either hand held or one attached to the weapon to assist in dark conditions.
Yes a laser would be the best IMHO in these conditions but then you still have to have enough light to ascertain proper target so its almost a mute point.

5. Learning curve: My job is keeping me from going to the range as much as i would like but every time i go i am hitting the bullseye with ease and litterly no re training curve. I have even taken several new shooters to the range and all of them shoot better with these then traditional sights.

6. Customer service. Tim Sheehan is the greatest guy to talk to and will do everything he can to make sure you are happy with his product. After i got my sights he called to see how i liked them and give me some great pointers.
some people think he is telling them that the way they have been shooting is wrong. he is only trying to show you how to use his sights properly. Stay open to the experience and you will learn. In my opinion he is a consummate professional providing a great product and service.

I can't wait to get some of these sights for my rifles when they come into production.

Thank you for listening to me blather on about this product. when something this good comes along i think the information needs to be as in depth as possible.

check out their web page for more in depth information and the research that went into these great sights.

http://www.goshen-hexsite.com/index2.php
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave arriving in an attractive well preserved body, better to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"
leadslinger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:39   #2
yamen1999

I have the Hex sight system too and I agree with leadslinger13. Were I live there are no street lights, so when the stars are not out it's dark. I have played with the Hex sight in all levels of light and I have found them extremely accurate for combat shooting. I'm 51 and fairly new to using guns for self defense, but when I took a 4 day shooting class I was hitting body shots 95% of the time. The class invoved allot of movement and fast reaction time.

I learned to point shoot with standard sights by using the shape of the gun as a reference. When I went to the Hex sight, it just improved my accuracy.
yamen1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 16:18   #3
susan28
already gone..

Ah you finally tried them huh? I think mine was the old review you read? Glad you liked them, i still have them on my g20 and am still (!) awaiting my Delta back with the Hex and porting like on the Glock.

I had the same experience as you yeman1999. From point shooting to Hex pretty much overnight. Same advantage just a lil more accuracy, which gives confidence which increases speed. I've pretty long since reached a plateau with them as far as improvement, but i'd still rate it as "significant" and still have no place for any other sight in my threat-focused tactics. Lacking the Hex i'd just go back to "regular" point shooting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

susan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 20:34   #4
leadslinger13

susan glad to see you are still around. Yes i finally took the plunge and couldn't be happier. these are everything you said in your original post and then some. Tim is an asset to the shooting community.

If any shooters that live in el paso area want to try them then send me a Pm and we can arrange a time.
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave arriving in an attractive well preserved body, better to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"

Last edited by leadslinger13; 02-13-2012 at 20:35..
Old 02-13-2012, 21:29   #5
susan28
already gone..

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadslinger13 View Post
susan glad to see you are still around. Yes i finally took the plunge and couldn't be happier. these are everything you said in your original post and then some. Tim is an asset to the shooting community.

If any shooters that live in el paso area want to try them then send me a Pm and we can arrange a time.
Heh yep i still lurk a bit.. just kinda ran outta things to say and clammed up! I'm quiet unless i just got some sweet new gear

That test-drive offer also goes if anyone in the south florida area would like to try mine, btw, DoubleTap's on me.

susan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:35   #6
bobs93430

HexSites

HexSites are effective.

I have been using HexSites for about a year and I believe that they are far more effective for high stress, target focus, combat shooting. I found using HexSites effectively required a significant transition time, a retraining of brain functions that had become automatic, and that there was a significant amount of negative transfer from previous training and experience. My effectiveness with the HexSites (as with all things) has increased with time and practice. To learn to use HexSites effectively, I trained with Chief Jared Zwickey, Tim Sheehan, and Tom Carline.

A huge amount of information on HexSites is available at: http://www.goshen-hexsite.com/. HexSites work most effectively with the physiology that exists during an up close and personal life and death situation. As it is very difficult to replicate this environment, the benefits that the HexSites offer can be minimized. Especially by those who are highly proficient in using conventional Patridge sights.

Palaver will not clarify the situation. Trying HexSites will make it clear to you if you will benefit from using them. As has been said, The proof is in the pudding.

If you would like to try HexSites and live near the central coast of California or are willing to make the trip, please contact me and I'll arrange to meet you at the San Luis Obispo Sportmen's Association range so you can try them. Please plan to bring new, factory ammunition (.22, 9x19, .40 S&W, and/or .45 ACP.).
bobs93430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 18:09   #7
biggun1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&Tired View Post
HexSites are effective.

I have been using HexSites for about a year and I believe that they are far more effective for high stress, target focus, combat shooting. I found using HexSites effectively required a significant transition time, a retraining of brain functions that had become automatic, and that there was a significant amount of negative transfer from previous training and experience. My effectiveness with the HexSites (as with all things) has increased with time and practice. To learn to use HexSites effectively, I trained with Chief Jared Zwickey, Tim Sheehan, and Tom Carline.

A huge amount of information on HexSites is available at: http://www.goshen-hexsite.com/. HexSites work most effectively with the physiology that exists during an up close and personal life and death situation. As it is very difficult to replicate this environment, the benefits that the HexSites offer can be minimized. Especially by those who are highly proficient in using conventional Patridge sights.

Palaver will not clarify the situation. Trying HexSites will make it clear to you if you will benefit from using them. As has been said, The proof is in the pudding.

If you would like to try HexSites and live near the central coast of California or are willing to make the trip, please contact me and I'll arrange to meet you at the San Luis Obispo Sportmen's Association range so you can try them. Please plan to bring new, factory ammunition (.22, 9x19, .40 S&W, and/or .45 ACP.).
I would like to take you up on the offer. I live in Fresno, and I will be in Pismo the first week in August. I hope you will leave the offer open.

What is the best way to contact you?
biggun1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 18:48   #8
bobs93430

Thank you for your reply.

I have sent you a private reply. I am new to this forum and am unfamiliar with the operation thereof. If you do not receive my message, please contact me and I will try again.

old&tired

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
bobs93430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 20:08   #9
leadslinger13

i am really happy to see other hexsite users stepping up commenting and offer others a chance to try them out. I think its the best way for people to experience what these sights can do. thanks to all.
Old 02-16-2012, 21:54   #10
Mattkcc

Years ago I put a set of One Ragged Whole peep sights on a GP100 that I used for hunting. I had about given up on target sights do to my aging eyes. With practice I shot some of the best groups I've ever shot. I also found it is the best type of sight to use on a moving target. I found I was able to hit moving deer which I couldn't do with traditional sights.
Mattkcc is offline   Reply With Quote