SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:27   #1
frank4570
Silver Membership

I need a cheap, truck rifle.

We again have dog problems. 2 of the neighbors had their dogs attacked by dog on the loose.
So I would like a functional gun to throw in the back of the truck, or lean up against the front door. I thought one of the cheap break action handi-rifles was going to be perfect. But it seems they have a lot of problems.
I looked at getting rifle barrel and stock for my Contender frame, but it seems a new rifle would be cheaper.

Any suggestions?
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:52   #2
byf43
NRA Life Member

Local ordinance(s) on shooting in/near residential area(s)?????

Suggestions:

Air rifle.
Used, bolt action .22lr that's capable of using 22 short or 22 CB.

Be prepared for the impending litigation or questioning by the Poh-Leeeeese.

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:53   #3
Filhar

Go to Rossiusa.com and look at the Ranch Hand
Filhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:57   #4
Farmalljon

.223 is an exellent "anti-dog" round, so any of the AR-15 rifles equiped with a red dot sight would be ideal. If an AR is too pricey, than a Ruger mini 14 is a great, less expensive choice. And if you want to go even cheaper than that, pick up a used SKS somewhere, and put a red dot sight on that. 7.62 x 39 out of an SKS is great for dogs too. The SKS is the least accurate of the three, but it should hold 4" groups at 100yds, which is plenty accurate for what you want to do. Note that all three of my choices are semi-autos. You mentioned some single shot choices. IMO, single shot rifles do not make good choices for protection against dog attacks. The dog could be running at you, or another animal that it wishes to harm, and fast follow up shots are must in these situations. While other action styles beat the hell out of no gun, i really feel semi auto is the way to go here. Anyone else agree or disagree?
Farmalljon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:10   #5
BuckeyePPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filhar View Post
Go to Rossiusa.com and look at the Ranch Hand
While you are there, look at their lever action rifles. 10 rounds of .38sp or .357mag in a fast lever action would be fine.
BuckeyePPC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:16   #6
DeLo

kel tec su16c
Old 02-16-2012, 09:27   #7
CBennett

Id use a short shotgun(meaning short LEGAL length) some buckshot,or even BB or T shot is gonna put a hurt into something. maybe a Rem870 or one of those new Savage models. If it had to be a rifle I guess id pick a lever-action something like a 30/30 ....better yet if your not really hunting with it go for the model that shoots .357 mag or .38 special...thats nothing to sneeze at out of a rifle barrel.

but id still go Pump shotgun if I had your situation.

and the only thing I use a single shot gun for is hunting stuff thats not gonna either attack,run at me,or im gonna eat for food..ive got a handi rifle its a good woodchuck,deer,squirrel gun..but the last thing id pick up in your situation.

Last edited by CBennett; 02-16-2012 at 09:32..
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:09   #8
frank4570
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by byf43 View Post
We are out in the country. Animal control tells to just shoot problem dogs. We've killed a few of them.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:13   #9
frank4570
Silver Membership

You guys have made realize I have options I hadn't thought of. I have a couple ruger 1022s. Not really sure if I like such a small caliber though. I have a bolt 22 mag. And I have an 870, might prefer more range than the shotty. I have a AR-15 but I don't want people to see it in my truck, just too tempting to steal it.
I have the Saiga .308 box fed..not so expensive. It's a lot of gun though.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:20   #10
Syclone538

Quote:
Originally Posted by byf43 View Post

Suggestions:

Air rifle.
Used, bolt action .22lr that's capable of using 22 short or 22 CB.

Be prepared for the impending litigation or questioning by the Poh-Leeeeese.
It's sad to see what living in New England can do to someone's whole mentality about guns. Now, I do choose to shoot stray dogs with a BB gun, but not because I'm afraid of someone calling the sheriff's department or what they would say if someone did.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.
Syclone538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:29   #11
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone538 View Post
It's sad to see what living in New England can do to someone's whole mentality about guns. Now, I do choose to shoot stray dogs with a BB gun, but not because I'm afraid of someone calling the sheriff's department or what they would say if someone did.
It's a forum about 90% full of suburban types - "liberal" by shooters' standards - who got their first gun in the last few years. Nothing surprises me here.

OP - for a truck gun for your use, I'd go find a .44 mag or .357 mag lever action Winchester, Marlin or Henry.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:31   #12
frank4570
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
It's a forum about 90% full of suburban types - "liberal" by shooters' standards - who got their first gun in the last few years. Nothing surprises me here.

OP - for a truck gun for your use, I'd go find a .44 mag or .357 mag lever action Winchester, Marlin or Henry.
I had absolutely not considered a lever gun at all. But it does make a lot of sense.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:22   #13
1gewehr

Get a Mosin-Nagant 91/30. About $100 bucks, cheap ammo, virtually indestructible, and can be used to butt-stroke if shooting is not called for.
1gewehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:39   #14
Fox
Varmit Control

If you want cheap, go pawnshopping for a good, used .22 rifle.

Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:46   #15
PISTOLHUNTER

The .22 mag bolt gun you have will work fine.
PISTOLHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:47   #16
Fox
Varmit Control

I bought a used "Plainsman" rifle produced by CVA sometime back in the 1970s. It's a percussion muzzle loading rifle made for shooting patched round ball. I got a nice tight cloverleaf at 50yds with it. It only cost me $100 at a local pawnshop.

I know that few here would choose a muzzleloading rifle for anything, but it will kill feral dogs just fine. One can keep it in their truck and if it gets stolen, well it's not something the average thief will be able to use for armed robbery. So no worries about it being used for robbery or murders. A thief will likely try to sell it for dope money.

Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:48   #17
dosei

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4570 View Post
You guys have made realize I have options I hadn't thought of. I have a couple ruger 1022s. Not really sure if I like such a small caliber though. I have a bolt 22 mag. And I have an 870, might prefer more range than the shotty. I have a AR-15 but I don't want people to see it in my truck, just too tempting to steal it.
I have the Saiga .308 box fed..not so expensive. It's a lot of gun though.
Many coyotes have met their end complements of the 22 mag.

AR by the door in the house, bolt 22 mag in the truck, & you're covered for zero money out the door.
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)

Last edited by dosei; 02-16-2012 at 13:22..
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:54   #18
SixkillerEnterprises

SKS maybe?
SixkillerEnterprises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:01   #19
MadMonkey
Spershul Furces

Send a message via AIM to MadMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to MadMonkey
Marlin 336 in 30-30.
MadMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:05   #20
frank4570
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosei View Post
Many coyotes have meet their end complements of the 22 mag.

AR by the door in the house, bolt 22 mag in the truck, & you're covered for zero money out the door.
That's a pretty good plan. It makes a lot of sense.