SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-16-2012, 16:44   #1
Nalapombu

Need Help from a TEXAS CCW Holder....

Hey all,

I have a question about getting my Texas permit. I hope someone can help me here because I have heard conflicting answers to this when I asked some people that ought to know.

I have my Texas Drivers License and have for about 2 months. I had to give up my OHIO CCW license. In Ohio to get a CCW you have to have 8 or 10 hours in class and a few hours on the range and be checked out. Fingerprints are also mandatory.

I understand Texas also has a classroom part too. Since I have a certificate where I completed the NRA handgun course from my OHIO class, would that satisfy the requirement down here or will I have to start all over and take the class and do all the other stuff before I actually apply to get my CCW?

Thanks

Nalajr
Old 02-16-2012, 17:24   #2
Wetrudgeon

Nala:
It is our impression that your NRA course will not suffice. You will need to take the Texas CHL course, which is about 10 total hours and around $100-$150. There are a number of places in the Houston area that offer it. For more info and to begin the application process, go to Texas.gov.

We trudge on.
Wetrudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 17:40   #3
RenegadeGlocker

You need to take the Texas CHL class.
RenegadeGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 18:24   #4
Ruggles

Yep gotta take the class. :(

It is not bad, more boring than anything else really. The shooting part is incredibly easy
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 19:29   #5
PettyOfficer

You'll have to be a resident for 6 months. So you should have enough time to save up for the course

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/interne...rms/chl-16.pdf
PettyOfficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 20:02   #6
SWAMPRNR
Lost

This link might help with any of your questions.

http://texaschlforum.com/
SWAMPRNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 21:05   #7
Nalapombu

Thanks all for the info. I figured I would have to take it. No problem. I've done it once in Ohio, I can make it through this one.

As for the 6 month period, I got a few more to go before I can apply and get my hunting license to start bowhunting piggies. Wish I had a better spot than Sam Houston to get after them though.

Nalajr
Old 02-16-2012, 21:18   #8
Keyhole

My local shop, Spring Guns and Ammo, does the whole course and paperwork for $85, including doughnuts!
Old 02-16-2012, 21:18   #9
PettyOfficer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalapombu View Post
As for the 6 month period, I got a few more to go before I can apply and get my hunting license to start bowhunting piggies.
If you have the cash, you can hunt them piggies from a helicopter in Texas!!
Old 02-16-2012, 21:24   #10
Fragman

Previous replies pretty much cover it.
Just a couple of items to add.
First, make sure you take the test using a semi-auto. If you use a revolver then you are only allowed to carry a revolver. A semi allows you to carry either.
Second, gets real hot here, especially Houston. That means light clothes, just something to think about when considering weapon choice. Texas is a concealed only state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Fragman; 02-16-2012 at 21:25..
Fragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 21:32   #11
RenegadeGlocker

The 6 month residency no longer applies (assuming you intend to reside in TX). You can apply right now.

Last edited by RenegadeGlocker; 02-16-2012 at 21:34..
Old 02-16-2012, 21:59   #12
PettyOfficer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeGlocker View Post
The 6 month residency no longer applies (assuming you intend to reside in TX). You can apply right now.
Nice catch, that must the only thing new in the '11/'12 rules I posted above.
Old 02-16-2012, 22:00   #13
RenegadeGlocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyOfficer View Post
Nice catch, that must the only thing new in the '11/'12 rules I posted above.
it was pointed out to me by txinvestigator
Old 02-17-2012, 01:07   #14
Nalapombu

SWEET!!

Spring Guns and Ammo is also my closest shop.

On another front, I would like to try some IDPA shooting and some GSSF stuff. How often and where are they held? Spring guns only has in indoor range and I would think an IDPA match would be outside.

Also there has to be a trap, skeet and sporting clays place close to me here in Spring. Anyone know of one that is public and doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I'd like to find an outdoor place to shoot my 22 target rifle out to 75 yards or so. The guys at Spring Guns told me the closest place would be in Conroe. That's 45 minutes away. There has to be a place in or around Houston that has an economical 100 yard rifle range.

I wish I did have the cash to hunt them from a Heli. That would be cool. Heck I'd settle for just riding around in one for a while. BIG money to hunt anywhere other than public land unless you know someone that owns the land, which I don't right now.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Nalajr
Old 02-17-2012, 01:12   #15
CLM Number 101
Monkeyboy

Quote:
SWEET!!

Spring Guns and Ammo is also my closest shop.

On another front, I would like to try some IDPA shooting and some GSSF stuff. How often and where are they held? Spring guns only has in indoor range and I would think an IDPA match would be outside.

Also there has to be a trap, skeet and sporting clays place close to me here in Spring. Anyone know of one that is public and doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I'd like to find an outdoor place to shoot my 22 target rifle out to 75 yards or so. The guys at Spring Guns told me the closest place would be in Conroe. That's 45 minutes away. There has to be a place in or around Houston that has an economical 100 yard rifle range.

I wish I did have the cash to hunt them from a Heli. That would be cool. Heck I'd settle for just riding around in one for a while. BIG money to hunt anywhere other than public land unless you know someone that owns the land, which I don't right now.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Nalajr
American Shooting Center, on Houston West side, http://www.amshootcenters.com/

Politicians and judges who voted for, and supported, Obamacare are traitors to the country!
Con, the first 3 letters in Congress.
UN, the first 2 letters in UNnecessary.
12131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:06   #16
Volksman

Hot Wells Shooting Range in Cypress has 50 and 100 yd. rifle ranges, pistol, and skeet and is reasonably priced.
Volksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:26   #17
Fragman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volksman View Post
Hot Wells Shooting Range in Cypress has 50 and 100 yd. rifle ranges, pistol, and skeet and is reasonably priced.
+1. They revamped their pistol range a couple years back too. It's covered now like the rifle range. They also do CHL class and pistol training classes..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Fragman; 02-17-2012 at 09:27..
Fragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:50   #18
G36's Rule

If you are in Spring, and want to shoot outdoors just go to Carter's Country. They charge per weapon about $9 and you can shoot as long as you want. They have 5-15-25-50-100 yard ranges plus they have a trap and skeet range.

I'm not sure why SGA would tell you to go to Conroe when Carter's is so close?
G36's Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:53   #19
G36's Rule

To add to the discussion of ranges, American Shooting Center is a real nice place, but it is out of the way AND they can have some real Nazi's for RO's. If you go there, read the rules and ask questions BEFORE you even bring your firearms out of the car.
G36's Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:02   #20
125K9

Quote:
Thanks all for the info. I figured I would have to take it. No problem. I've done it once in Ohio, I can make it through this one.

As for the 6 month period, I got a few more to go before I can apply and get my hunting license to start bowhunting piggies. Wish I had a better spot than Sam Houston to get after them though.

Nalajr
If you're truly wanting to bowhunt JUST wild hogs I've got 78 acres and live about 3 hours north of you in Wood County. You're more than welcome. The coyotes, and deer, are off limits as I feed them both, separately of course. No, I'm NOT a hunter of animals. I've got a small pack of coyotes that wait for me to feed them every evening, but the hogs have to go as they're tearing the place up. My email address is in my profile. Guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Vietnam Vet/SOG
Roll Tide!!
125K9 is offline   Reply With Quote