SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-16-2012, 18:10   #1
CTfam
DREAM BIG.

Looking for a pocket size pepper spray

Need some help people. I'm looking for the best pocket size pepper spray on the market. I own several Fox Labs units and I consider them the best but the 2oz cans are an awkward size for pocket carry and I end up leaving home with out one. Also, the key chain units are trash. Not enough spray and the flimsy "safety" is just begging for a pocket AD.

My ideal can would be a slim version of the Fox Labs flip top. If they would make the unit taller and thinner it would be much better for pocket carry!

Are there any products out there that would work for me? I would switch brands if I needed to.

PS I hate belt carry of pepper spray for several reasons.

What do you carry?
Old 02-16-2012, 18:19   #2
CTfam
DREAM BIG.

http://www.redhotpepperspray.com/poc...nse-spray.html

I may try this one. Looks to be about the right size but I hate that button you have to slide and press. I just don't trust it.

Anyone pocket carry something like this? Will it go off in a pocket with daily wear and tear?
Old 02-16-2012, 18:58   #3
nosuchagency
is invisible...

your link is the unit i use when I'm wanting something fairly unobtrusive. i wouldn't put much faith in the flimsy clip though...

edited to add I'm using the sabre 'red' version; same size.
sig club #45...

Quote:
..."fair" is a word used by little kids and democrats.

Last edited by nosuchagency; 02-16-2012 at 19:01..
nosuchagency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 19:20   #4
CTfam
DREAM BIG.

Thanks. I wouldn't use the clip. Looking to pocket carry. How does the switch hold up on the thing? Pretty safe?
Old 02-16-2012, 19:38   #5
nosuchagency
is invisible...

haven't had issue with it, but i usually carry it in a loose shirt or jacket pocket by itself to avoid issue you mentioned with this particular type button. i wouldn' t trust it in a jean pocket though.
sig club #45...

Quote:
..."fair" is a word used by little kids and democrats.
nosuchagency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 20:58   #6
RadarP3C

Check this one out. Well made, but not cheap. Won't have to worry about it discharging until you want it to. Got one for my wife a couple of years ago.

http://www.tigerlight.net/TigerLight_Saves_Life_2.html

A friend will bail you out of jail ...... A true friend will be there sitting next to you saying "Damn, that was fun!"

Last edited by RadarP3C; 02-16-2012 at 21:01..
RadarP3C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 23:14   #7
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I carry a 2oz stream pattern Fox Labs OC topside-up in my off-hand front pants pocket. It stays vertically oriented because I keep my primary carry flashlight next to it. I have been doing this at all times everywhere I go (other than the gym, beach, or restricted access secure locations) for 6.5 years now.

I buy a new canister before the old one is 2 years old. Currently I have the newer mean green formula.

At first I used a cop top canister but upon realizing how stupid that was I switched to a flip top. I did get pepper spray all over my leg once due to a pinhole leak in the side of the can. It was kind of annoying but fortunately I realized and removed it from my pocket before a heck of a lot came out. It was the strangest thing. Fox Labs replaced my canister and I now keep the flashlight that it shares a pocket with in the supplied nylon 'holster' to avoid excess metal on metal contact between the light and the canister.

I agree that having the unit be thinner, and maybe a little taller, would fit pockets better. Since I started this method I have gained about 55 lbs of bodyweight and wear much larger pants with much larger pockets so it isn't a big deal any more. (purposeful weight gain, plenty of muscle to go with the fat, lol)

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:39   #8
Mr. Blandings

ASP "Street Defender" OC unit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
, Calibre Press, GLOCK,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
, Andy Stanford,
Mr. Blandings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:53   #9
Ron_Miami

I second the ASP Street Defender. In my left rear pocket, I carry the ASP, a Surefire L4, and my wallet.

The wallet keeps the other items vertical.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:00   #10
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

1) Use only flip-top models.
2) Check daily to clear/clean any obstruction from the nozzle.
3) Don't keep change in the same pocket (coin can slip under flip top, locking/blocking it).

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:23   #11
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTfam View Post
Need some help people. I'm looking for the best pocket size pepper spray on the market. I own several Fox Labs units and I consider them the best but the 2oz cans are an awkward size for pocket carry and I end up leaving home with out one. Also, the key chain units are trash. Not enough spray and the flimsy "safety" is just begging for a pocket AD.

My ideal can would be a slim version of the Fox Labs flip top. If they would make the unit taller and thinner it would be much better for pocket carry!

Are there any products out there that would work for me? I would switch brands if I needed to.

PS I hate belt carry of pepper spray for several reasons.

What do you carry?
I carry the Fox Labs 2-oz fliptop every day in my weakside pocket along with a spare G27 magazine (in a magpacker holster). In tight jeans, it would be snug. But, on work days, I wear loose fitting dress slacks. And, after work, I've gone to Duluth Trading Co. "Ballroom" jeans. Just started a thread about DTC's Ballroom jeans: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1402407

Last edited by racer88; 02-17-2012 at 09:34..
racer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:34   #12
BulldawgGlock

Sabre makes some good combo packs with one key chain sized can and another can a little larger that I keep in the kitchen pantry. I was sprayed with Fox labs at the Police Academy and can attest to the effectiveness of that particular product.
BulldawgGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 20:32   #13
dcc12

Kimber Lifeact. I know it's a two spray deal but if I need more than that it's probably run time or gun time anyway. I don't care for the new design; looks too gun like. I am on my second unit carried my first unit 3years past it's due date, shot it off in backyard good range has blue dye in it.
dcc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 22:57   #14
CTfam
DREAM BIG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
I carry a 2oz stream pattern Fox Labs OC topside-up in my off-hand front pants pocket. It stays vertically oriented because I keep my primary carry flashlight next to it. I have been doing this at all times everywhere I go (other than the gym, beach, or restricted access secure locations) for 6.5 years now.

I buy a new canister before the old one is 2 years old. Currently I have the newer mean green formula.

At first I used a cop top canister but upon realizing how stupid that was I switched to a flip top. I did get pepper spray all over my leg once due to a pinhole leak in the side of the can. It was kind of annoying but fortunately I realized and removed it from my pocket before a heck of a lot came out. It was the strangest thing. Fox Labs replaced my canister and I now keep the flashlight that it shares a pocket with in the supplied nylon 'holster' to avoid excess metal on metal contact between the light and the canister.

I agree that having the unit be thinner, and maybe a little taller, would fit pockets better. Since I started this method I have gained about 55 lbs of bodyweight and wear much larger pants with much larger pockets so it isn't a big deal any more. (purposeful weight gain, plenty of muscle to go with the fat, lol)
That's what I carry. Well... Sometimes carry. It's just that damn can is too wide! I still haven't found what I'm looking for so I guess the 2oz Fox is still the best. I ordered a comp-tac holster for it so I will give that a shot.

Pepper spray is a great EDC item but that unit is a bit much for my pocket. Prints more than any of my other gear!
Old 02-17-2012, 23:13   #15
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTfam View Post
That's what I carry. Well... Sometimes carry. It's just that damn can is too wide! I still haven't found what I'm looking for so I guess the 2oz Fox is still the best. I ordered a comp-tac holster for it so I will give that a shot.

Pepper spray is a great EDC item but that unit is a bit much for my pocket. Prints more than any of my other gear!
I've also tried a smaller Red Sabre (22g) unit but the safety kept sliding over and I absolutely did not trust it to keep from discharging.

I might pick up one of the ASP palm defenders to try out.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 02-18-2012, 11:42   #16
CTfam
DREAM BIG.

Researching the ASP now. Looks to be the right size. We shall see.
Old 02-19-2012, 17:15   #17
snowbird

Check out www.spitfire.us

They have several neat short training videos that are fun to watch. Their sprayer itself is small and neat too. The trigger won't discharge spray unless you both push it down and forward, so it's pretty safe. One of the videos shows a kid playing with it and it doesn't discharge. I've carried one in a nylon pocket holster designed for a NAA minirevolver for years with no problems.
Old 04-06-2012, 21:01   #18
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Figured I would update this rather than start a new thread. I got my Sabre Red Crossfire (MK-3, 1.8oz) canister today. I took a couple pictures to compare its size to the 2oz Fox Labs type.

I was surprised to discover that despite being 0.2oz smaller than the Fox unit it is actually larger. I still plan to make it my new front pocket EDC.

Carry Issues

Carry Issues

Last edited by Warp; 04-06-2012 at 21:01..
Old 04-06-2012, 21:20   #19
1canvas

wow Warp, that Sabre can is pretty big.
I carry the 2oz Fox and that is as large as I would go. I have carried the Fox Lab key chain size when the 2oz is to much. I have shot the key chain size before and it sprays well.
1canvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:16   #20
DScottHewitt
EMT-B

Send a message via AIM to DScottHewitt Send a message via Yahoo to DScottHewitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeBadOne View Post
1) Use only flip-top models.
2) Check daily to clear/clean any obstruction from the nozzle.
3) Don't keep change in the same pocket (coin can slip under flip top, locking/blocking it).
3)a) Change WILL be "hot" SEVERAL WEEKS after a pocket blast.

Personal experience.

DScottHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote