Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:57   #1
tenifer17

Wanting a new gun: Roll pins vs Solid pins

Hey guy I am wanting the new S.A. XDS very badly and I was all ready to buy it when it gets here in March but I have started thinking really hard about it.
Our Glocks have simple solid pins that can be taken out by just about anything which is great for easy detail stripping or emergency detail stripping for whatever you need to do. This can be done by most any sharp skinny item like a simple ink pen or whatever. But the XDS and all XD's and even the M&P's all have roll pins. They reuire special punches for them in order to get them out and to get them out without deforming them.
Am I really crazy about just saying screw it on the new XDS simply because it has roll pins ? My M&P had a manual safety and I removed it . I had to use a special punch to get out the roll pins and I had to mount it on a block of wood and hammer that pin out hard ! If it were me Glock I would just simply push out the pin and whallah ! easy done!
What are your thoughts on Roll pins vs solid pins.
I think I may just stay with good ole Glock and their solid pins. And I may get a good used G30
I got some extra money comming from work and I want to treat myself to a good gun . It was gonna be the XDS but I am thinking the G30 Standard model Gen 3 or a Gen 3 G21 standard model ( I hate the SF models)
Sorry for the rambling on .
What are your thoughts on roll pins vs solid pins ? And why is S&W and S.A/HS using roll pins instead of solid pins?
tenifer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:40   #2
Bob Hafler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenifer17 View Post
Hey guy I am wanting the new S.A. XDS very badly and I was all ready to buy it when it gets here in March but I have started thinking really hard about it.
Our Glocks have simple solid pins that can be taken out by just about anything which is great for easy detail stripping or emergency detail stripping for whatever you need to do. This can be done by most any sharp skinny item like a simple ink pen or whatever. But the XDS and all XD's and even the M&P's all have roll pins. They reuire special punches for them in order to get them out and to get them out without deforming them.
Am I really crazy about just saying screw it on the new XDS simply because it has roll pins ? My M&P had a manual safety and I removed it . I had to use a special punch to get out the roll pins and I had to mount it on a block of wood and hammer that pin out hard ! If it were me Glock I would just simply push out the pin and whallah ! easy done!
What are your thoughts on Roll pins vs solid pins.
I think I may just stay with good ole Glock and their solid pins. And I may get a good used G30
I got some extra money comming from work and I want to treat myself to a good gun . It was gonna be the XDS but I am thinking the G30 Standard model Gen 3 or a Gen 3 G21 standard model ( I hate the SF models)
Sorry for the rambling on .
What are your thoughts on roll pins vs solid pins ? And why is S&W and S.A/HS using roll pins instead of solid pins?
I think your making way to much of the roll pins. Roll pins have been used for years with great results. Abrams tanks use roll pins on many of there shafts. Like I said your making much to do about nothing.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:44   #3
tenifer17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hafler View Post
I think your making way to much of the roll pins. Roll pins have been used for years with great results. Abrams tanks use roll pins on many of there shafts. Like I said your making much to do about nothing.
Yes I think you maybe right. Maybe I am wanting a reason to buy another Glock . But it is kinda nice to be able to completly break down your gun with only an ink pin
tenifer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:54   #4
dr_gonzo

My XDM uses roll pins too. Just buy a $10 set of punches and be done with it.
dr_gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:57   #5
ronin.45

Don't hate the XDs because of roll pins. Hate it because it's about 10oz heavier than it should be. Roll pins are fine.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:15   #6
Locoweed

When confronted by roll pins in some of my firearms I simply ordered a set of the special punches from Brownells. Problem solved. At the same time I ordered a set of metric Allen (hex) head bits too just to take care of some European guns I had (like my three Anschutz). It's not a big deal and the roll pins are widely used. Why fight it and let it drive your buying decisions?
Locoweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:17   #7
Bob Hafler

How do you HATE a gun over a few onces in weight? I dislike glocks grip angle compared to a 1911's but don't hate it.

Last edited by Bob Hafler; 02-17-2012 at 09:18..
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:19   #8
farmer2

I sold an xd that I loved 7 years ago because of Springfield's unwillingness to ship parts. Is this still their policy? If so, in my opinion, is a great reason not to buy one! We can get any glock part we need, from a 100 different venders, to our door step in 2 days.

farmer2
farmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:10   #9
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenifer17 View Post

What are your thoughts on roll pins vs solid pins ?

...you are thinking way to hard
FLIPPER 348 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 13:47   #10
zackwatt
Lifetime Membership
That's a Bingo!

I hate dealing with roll pins, but that's because they do their job so well.

If one were to be better then the other, I would have to choose the roll pins. In theory solid pins can work their way out, and roll pins cannot.

If you have a firearm with roll pins just get the correct tools AND just replace them everything you remove them. Problem Solved.

Remember: "Heavy is Good, Heavy is Reliable. Plus, If It Doesn't Work You Can Always Hit Them with It."
zackwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 14:04   #11
Shadyscott69
GT Sponsor

I have never had a roll pin walk it's way out of a gun. Can't say the same for solid.
Shadyscott69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 16:51   #12
collim1
Shower Time!

I have two Sigs with solid pins and one with roll pins, cant tell a difference. Neither have ever drifted out of place and all three are shot often.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 19:44   #13
Pete250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin.45 View Post
Don't hate the XDs because of roll pins. Hate it because it's about 10oz heavier than it should be. Roll pins are fine.
the XDs is 21.5 ounces. Do you realistically expect it to weigh 11.5 ounces?
Pete250R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 20:17   #14
ronin.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete250R View Post
the XDs is 21.5 ounces. Do you realistically expect it to weigh 11.5 ounces?
It was originally listed at 29oz. Did it change? There were many threads about it when the gun was announced.
Old 02-17-2012, 20:53   #15
Pete250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin.45 View Post
It was originally listed at 29oz. Did it change? There were many threads about it when the gun was announced.
someone mis-quoted someone else. You know how those things go. The true weight is 21.5 oz
Pete250R is offline   Reply With Quote