Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:08   #1
Spartacus100

Need input on selling my AR

I am considering selling my AR-15 with an EOTECH 512 and 1200 rounds of ammo for money to buy an M1A...I figure if I sell everything i have for the AR, i will have enough for the M1A plus several hundred left over for ammo. Am i crazy to do this? is the M1A worth the cost? Its a great rifle and will definitely reach out and touch someone but it is better to have than the AR in a SHTF scenario? I'm torn on whether to do it or not as I love my AR and its all set with rails,lights, forward handle etc...I would love to know your thoughts.....Have a great friday...

Spartacus100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:38   #2
sideseal

I think you've answered your own question when you say you, "love my ar". Personally, I would rather keep the AR for SHTF. Any way of having both or is that out of the question?
sideseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:53   #3
Spartacus100

I would love to have both but the price of the M1A is the only reason i cant/dont.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:55   #4
AngryPanda
Is he a troll?

If you want the M1A, get it. Should be plenty of ARs laying around after SHTF anyway.
AngryPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:00   #5
zhix

I was pricing M1As a couple months ago and IIRC they start out around $1400. You would have to have a pretty expensive set up to get that kind of money and have some left over out of an AR.
Other than the Eotech, I do not consider ammo, accessories to add too much value when buying or selling a used gun.
Unless You're sure you don't like your AR and would never buy one again I would not sell it to fund another gun.

I am not with the 'once I buy a gun I don't sell it' crowd, if I don't like it I'm not going to have it sitting around taking up space. I have sold off half a dozen guns and not regretted any of them, though I don't buy any gun intending to sell it later on, as you will usually lose money that way.
Plus ARs have been cheap enough lately, if/when the next gun scare comes you may regret either getting rid of it period or not getting as much money for it.
zhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:03   #6
Spartacus100

Good point

Old 02-17-2012, 10:07   #7
G36's Rule

I doubt you will get enough money from an AR sale to go even up on a M1A purchase. AR's are just too cheap right now.

Beyond that, you will probably regret getting rid of the AR. Ammo for the M1A is more expensive, mags are more expensive, the rifle is much heavier and it kicks more. If you just have to have it, then by all means go ahead. I know I've made some trades and sales that I later had to replace so don't feel lonely if that is where you end up.
G36's Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 20:00   #8
Eric2340
Infidel :)

You're never going to make it unless you either find someone who wants it real bad (the AR deal) or a real sucker. Sorry, that's the truth. :(

I bought my M1A Scout 2 years ago. When I first looked at them they were like $1k and I put it off for some time and bought a 26" 700 SPS I REALLY wanted instead - BAD move. :( By the time I got ready to try and get my M1A, they were pushing north of $1200. :( I finally found mine used, made a deal w/ they guy who had it to let me pay him in 2 payments, each 1 month apart (I had to wait till I got my commission at the time), but the guy went for it in the end. I think I paid around $1k for mine USED then, but I am NOT sorry I did it either.

You're going to take a bath on that AR deal one way or another if you try and move it, so if you can I'd either just save the bones and wait, or just take it in the pooper and get it over w/ and eat it on the AR. Sell the Eo Tech on it's own (I got someone to trade me a used 3rd gen G17 I wanted for mine) and either save the ammo, or try and trade it to someone who needs it or can use it for something you need.

Trades tend to work out better than flat out sales or trading stuff in my book. Especially "package deals" like the one you have on your AR. :(

HTH
Old 02-17-2012, 22:11   #9
CLM Number 101
Monkeyboy

I don't believe OP mentioned what brand AR he has. Is it a Hesse, or is it a Noveske? There's a little bit of difference there, ya know. If it's a Hesse, I would dump it. A Noveske, I'd keep.

Politicians and judges who voted for, and supported, Obamacare are traitors to the country!
Con, the first 3 letters in Congress.
UN, the first 2 letters in UNnecessary.
12131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 22:45   #10
FLglockdude

If you think you can have enough money for an M1A and then some, you have already spent that money once. Just toss $50 per paycheck aside and you'll have enough in no time. Don't eat out as much, don't stop at Starbucks in the morning, just cut out other unnecessary spending and put it in the M1A fund. If you really love the AR, you will regret selling it.
FLglockdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 18:12   #11
Spartacus100

Great info everyone and thanks for telling me what i probably already knew. I'll be keeping the AR and will work on saving for a M1A. Ive seen a used one for $1250 so they can be had....oh and the make of my AR is a DPMS with the flat rail that i bought 4 years ago, the day after the election....man they were moving out the door that day...

Old 02-18-2012, 18:16   #12
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus100 View Post
Great info everyone and thanks for telling me what i probably already knew. I'll be keeping the AR and will work on saving for a M1A. Ive seen a used one for $1250 so they can be had....oh and the make of my AR is a DPMS with the flat rail that i bought 4 years ago, the day after the election....man they were moving out the door that day...
I would recommend you sell it & recoup what you have in your DPMS.

Not sure about the M1A choice but if you like it and have spent some time handling it realizing the weight, benefits, limitations vs. an AR platform then go for it.
Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 18:19   #13
Spartacus100

i know the DPMS doesnt carry the same reputation as alot of other AR's but i have to say that mine has run flawlessly for me for limited rounds (500 or so)i have put through it. and i have babied it when it comes to cleaning it. it has served me well so far.

Old 02-18-2012, 18:21   #14
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

Quote:
i know the DPMS doesnt carry the same reputation as alot of other AR's but i have to say that mine has run flawlessly for me for limited rounds (500 or so)i have put through it. and i have babied it when it comes to cleaning it. it has served me well so far.
Great! That will be a good starting point in your sales pitch when hawking it off onto another new future DPMS owner for sure.

Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Old 02-18-2012, 18:23   #15
Spartacus100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
Great! That will be a good starting point in your sales pitch when hawking it off onto another new future DPMS owner for sure.

ok. you got me on that one....

Old 02-18-2012, 19:49   #16
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

Quote:
ok. you got me on that one....
I'm just saying that is a good sales strategy is all. I have sold my DPMS rifles (all but 1 that I still need to sell off anyway). I replaced them & upgraded my collection for the most part.

Have you considered a 300BLK by chance?
Old 02-18-2012, 20:00   #17
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideseal View Post
I think you've answered your own question when you say you, "love my ar". Personally, I would rather keep the AR for SHTF. Any way of having both or is that out of the question?
I agree the AR is such a versatile platform I am building my 3rd. The M1 is a awesome rifle as well but the AR works out for my needs.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:04   #18
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Keep the DPMS,......if you bought it during the "election"
you will not be able to recoup what you have in it. DPMS
is one of the hard resale brands anyway. If it's been reliable
hang on to it, save up for the M1A
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote