SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-17-2012, 15:41   #1
Sgt127

Recoil Spring K40

Kahr Club

Something to think about regarding springs. I recently bought a new, older stock, K40. Its had about 600 rounds through it since I bought it. It always had a little hesitation when going back into battery. Just a tiny little nudge was needed, every once in awhile, to get it to close completely.

So, I ordered a couple new recoil springs and guide rods.

Top is the spring I took out of the gun. Same number of coils, but, markedly shorter. I don't know if it took a set from sitting on a dealers shelf for years, or from the rounds I have put through it. They may have even changed the spring style for all I know.

The gun goes into battery very smarly now. I haven't shot it much since the spring change, but, I'll take it out and look at it after a few hundred rounds and post back.

Obviously, that much change in the length of the spring made quite a difference in its return energy. I'm a believer in changing out something as cheap as a recoil spring on a regular basis. Especially now.
Sgt127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:03   #2
Cowart

While Kahr charges $8.80 for a recoil spring, you can get one from Wolff for $7.89 in several strengths - 18, 20, 22, and 23 lbs. The factory spring is 20 lbs.

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?...s&cID=1&mID=29
Cowart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 13:44   #3
eltee

I bought a new K40 in the late 90's that came with a short spring. It had the same problem as yours. I think they just had a bad batch of springs. Kahr replaced it free.
eltee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:25   #4
albinlee

Honestly, although they may have modified the recoil spring weight or design since the original version you bought, I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same. They are both 21 coil springs, I just think that the one you bought had already reached its maximum set. Are you sure about the round count (could be much more than 600 on that spring including previous owner)? If the original owner was like I am, they very well could have racked the slide/dry fired several thousand times as well. With all of these factors considered, I don't think that the original spring was faulty by an means... just worn out!
- Quark 123 single cell
- Luminox Colormark 3051

Last edited by albinlee; 03-08-2012 at 07:26.. Reason: Poor grammar.
albinlee is offline   Reply With Quote