Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-17-2012, 23:26   #1
1in9twist

Ultramount for Hornady LNL

I have to show this off a bit, I have working on it for a while and am very happy with it!

Reloading

Reloading

Reloading

Reloading

I am very pleased with the final product. 3\16 thick laser cut steel, rock solid, beautiful black powdercoat. Has an optional arm that supports the bullet feeder as well. I am working on a top plate for it that will be pre-drilled & tapped for the common presses out there. Dillons,RCBS, Etc.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Last edited by 1in9twist; 02-17-2012 at 23:27..
1in9twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:08   #2
DoctaGlockta

That is a great looking mount. Well done Sir.

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:37   #3
meleors
Cranky Member

Very nice looking but the big question is: Price.
Can you make it and sell it at an attractive price point?
I can't speak for others but I wouldn't pay more than $50 for a press mount no matter how pretty it is!
meleors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 00:14   #4
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Bullet tray? Do not see any obvious mounting points for one. A mount that high... you should consider making the move toward it. Economy of motion is a big selling point to many.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:53   #5
Three-Five-Seven
SeŮor Mombo

Looks like a motorcycle stand.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:33   #6
sdelam

Checked out the cleverly placed website and he has some neat stuff on there. I like the LNL bushing die holders.
Old 02-20-2012, 22:25   #7
1in9twist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
Bullet tray? Do not see any obvious mounting points for one. A mount that high... you should consider making the move toward it. Economy of motion is a big selling point to many.

I like the way you think.

Prototype.

Reloading
Old 02-21-2012, 06:36   #8
Colorado4Wheel

Openings on the trays need to point to the front not the side.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:44   #9
unclebob

I would lose the tray on the bottom. Just something for stuff to slide underneath and hide.
The bins I would make a hinge that the bins would sit on with the opening facing the front. But when not in use, fold back along the mount. Just so that they are out of the way.
GSSF Life Member
Old 02-21-2012, 09:24   #10
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Openings on the trays need to point to the front not the side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
I would lose the tray on the bottom. Just something for stuff to slide underneath and hide.
The bins I would make a hinge that the bins would sit on with the opening facing the front. But when not in use, fold back along the mount. Just so that they are out of the way.
Guys... not sure if any of you thought this through.
For something like a 550... there are THREE bins that can be used, and one of them can be turned *out* as he has it.

The first is the one that catches loaded rounds, it can be out to the right. The other two do need to be facing forward... the empty-brass bin, as well as the bullet bin. I'm not sure how well his bullet bin would work, Dillon uses the Bullet *tray*, it's shallower and your hand can pick up bullets easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
ďWTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!Ē
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:34   #11
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
Guys... not sure if any of you thought this through.
For something like a 550... there are THREE bins that can be used, and one of them can be turned *out* as he has it.

The first is the one that catches loaded rounds, it can be out to the right. The other two do need to be facing forward... the empty-brass bin, as well as the bullet bin. I'm not sure how well his bullet bin would work, Dillon uses the Bullet *tray*, it's shallower and your hand can pick up bullets easier.
My suggestions were for other than Dillon presses. Also with his opening he has on the sides. I donít think could install the bullet tray. Also on his web site for the LNL the bens are way too high at least in my option.
GSSF Life Member
Old 02-21-2012, 09:42   #12
F106 Fan

Maybe the proper tray orientation will be more apparent when the LNL is mounted to the stand. EDIT: I didn't find a picture of the complete assembly at the web site.

The Dillon Bullet Tray is the best feature of the strong mount. It would be nice if there was an optional bracket that would allow the Dillon version of the bullet tray to be mounted at an appropriate height and angle.

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 02-21-2012 at 09:45..
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:50   #13
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
Maybe the proper tray orientation will be more apparent when the LNL is mounted to the stand. EDIT: I didn't find a picture of the complete assembly at the web site.

The Dillon Bullet Tray is the best feature of the strong mount. It would be nice if there was an optional bracket that would allow the Dillon version of the bullet tray to be mounted at an appropriate height and angle.

Richard
http://inlinefabrication.com/
Go to his web site.
GSSF Life Member
Old 02-21-2012, 10:00   #14
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
My suggestions were for other than Dillon presses. Also with his opening he has on the sides. I donít think could install the bullet tray. Also on his web site for the LNL the bens are way too high at least in my option.
Reloading

Precious little room on the LnL for both a empty case bin, bullet bin and the loaded cartridge bin. In that picture I used the Dillon Tool Holder as a shield so that my bullet bin didn't get caught by the casefeeder slider. It's one of the things I found to be a total PITA about the LnL. Even my LCT is better because it doesn't have that long casefeeder projection on the press right where you want to put your bullet tray.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:07   #15
unclebob

Quote:
Reloading

Precious little room on the LnL for both a empty case bin, bullet bin and the loaded cartridge bin. In that picture I used the Dillon Tool Holder as a shield so that my bullet bin didn't get caught by the casefeeder slider. It's one of the things I found to be a total PITA about the LnL. Even my LCT is better because it doesn't have that long casefeeder projection on the press right where you want to put your bullet tray.
But now put that press on his mount. Or on a Dillon strong mount. Mounting the press directly to the table top is not going to work for any type of bin placements. If you had the LNL on a mount there are all different things you can do that you canít with the press mounted to the bench.
GSSF Life Member
Old 02-21-2012, 14:13   #16
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
But now put that press on his mount. Or on a Dillon strong mount. Mounting the press directly to the table top is not going to work for any type of bin placements. If you had the LNL on a mount there are all different things you can do that you canít with the press mounted to the bench.
The loaded cartridge bin is in the way. It's annoying for running two bins (empty case and bullets). Sure mounting it on a table changes things a little but even with a strong mount the loaded cartridge bin is right in front. Right where you want a empty case bin or bullet bin. You can't really put much behind it because the loaded cartridge bin is in the way.

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 02-21-2012 at 14:15..
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 22:42   #17
1in9twist

Quote:
For the LNL the bins are way too high at least in my option.
The bullet tray bracket can be "flipped" to get the bottom of the swinging bullet tray about 1\2 off the top of the factory finished round tray.
Old 02-21-2012, 22:48   #18
1in9twist

As for the bins hanging to the left & right of the mount, that simple version was aimed more towards a single stage Rockchucker or the like. Not a Dillon or LNL.

I have been looking around for a shallower tray similar to the Dillon tray, but haven't found much yet. I have thought about molding my own, but tis super spendy process.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:28   #19
Colorado4Wheel

A cartridge bin works fine if it's at a angle. The angle is important for ease of use.

Reloading

The Dillon tray is a little nicer. Some people rest their arm on it. I don't like to do that so the bin is fine. Just design the mount around the aluminum bullet tray Dillon sells. The mount is the important part. They can find a plastic one that some 1050 guy isn't using or just buy the aluminum one Dillon sells.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:11   #20
PsychoKnight

Reloading

Reloading

I like the bullet tray no more than 3/16" from the shell plate. Its about as close as I can get it for bulletseating motion reduction.

The cutouts in the inlinefabricating version might be designed to reduce weight, but it removes options for attaching additional brackets, such as for a round catcher or bullet tray. Also, I don't understand the function of the lower cross plate if the mount will be bolted down by the four bottom corners, and the upper plates are also bolted together at each corner? It just adds back in the weight removed from the side panels.

Last edited by PsychoKnight; 02-24-2012 at 02:18..
PsychoKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 13:17   #21
1in9twist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoKnight View Post

The cutouts in the inlinefabricating version might be designed to reduce weight, but it removes options for attaching additional brackets, such as for a round catcher or bullet tray. Also, I don't understand the function of the lower cross plate if the mount will be bolted down by the four bottom corners, and the upper plates are also bolted together at each corner? It just adds back in the weight removed from the side panels.
Hello. Lets see if I can shed some light.

The cut-outs in the sides are to provide access to the storage tray below. The tray does not offer any structural value, nor is it bolted. It just sits there on the 2 legs.

Future options like bullet trays & misc doodads will be supported by the top plate. I don't like making something look like swiss cheese to add future options. If they don't do so, there are a bunch of ugly holes with no purpose.

These ship USPS flat rate. Weight was not a production concern. Building a stout, functional good looking item was. If you look at my products, I am a little OCD about overbuilding everything. Its a sickness....

Last edited by 1in9twist; 02-24-2012 at 20:08..
Old 02-24-2012, 13:30   #22
Colorado4Wheel

You should rethink that. People want to be able to add mounts at their discretion. Having the sides available for drilling just makes sense.
Old 02-24-2012, 20:04   #23
1in9twist

Quote:
You should rethink that. People want to be able to add mounts at their discretion. Having the sides available for drilling just makes sense.
Oh by all means, holes can be drilled in the Ultramount wherever people want, to attach whatever options suits em. Also as I mentioned above, the top plate can me modded in numerous ways to fit the bill as well. No worries.

I like your set up of inclining the bullet tray, that's a fine idea.