Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-18-2012, 17:47   #1
Noobb

Using a Taser on an armed person ??

If an individual has a pistol, would it be safe to taser him? Would the shock cause him to possibly squeeze the trigger? Does anyone know any LEO policies on this subject? Any input greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Noobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 17:57   #2
Landric
Supervisor?

Send a message via AIM to Landric
Really way to much of a "what if" question. The proper response to deadly force is deadly force, not a Taser. Shooting someone holding a firearm could cause them to pull the trigger also, but that doesn't mean it isn't the proper course of action.

Tasers are very effective, but they are not intended to be used against people presenting a deadly threat, though they can be pressed into service in the respect if better weapons are not available.
Mon: Do you carry chambered?, Tue: Can a cop write a ticket without his hat?, Wed: Should I carry a spare mag?, Thurs: I got stopped without "probably cause"., Fri: Will there be a Glock Carbine?, Sat: Why the GAP hate?, Sun: I hate the GAP.
Landric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 18:01   #3
Bodyarmorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobb View Post
If an individual has a pistol, would it be safe to taser him? Would the shock cause him to possibly squeeze the trigger? Does anyone know any LEO policies on this subject? Any input greatly appreciated. Thanks.
It would be safer for him, that is for sure. I teach both firearms and taser at the academy and at the in-service level. If I bad guy is presenting a threat of force likely to result in death or great bodily harm to you, the proper protocol is to engage with deadly force.

Tasers keep me from having to punch or be punched....the bad guy presenting a taser, knife, club, gun, et al are all responded to with guns.

Edit: I keep going back and re-reading your post. Are you suggesting that he is threatening the Officer, or threatening himself? Suicide/polish hostage?

Landric......I love the signature

Last edited by Bodyarmorguy; 02-18-2012 at 18:05..
Bodyarmorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 18:05   #4
Wonder140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landric View Post
Really way to much of a "what if" question. The proper response to deadly force is deadly force, not a Taser. Shooting someone holding a firearm could cause them to pull the trigger also, but that doesn't mean it isn't the proper course of action.

Tasers are very effective, but they are not intended to be used against people presenting a deadly threat, though they can be pressed into service in the respect if better weapons are not available.
Not to mention taser misses, failures etc. Suspect holding a firearm notices a taser was just used ineffectively against him will likely use his firearm in response.

To rely on a taser when someone is ready to use deadly force is not the proper response. We have a use of force matrix that we go by at my agency and quite a few surrounding agency's use it as well. Deadly force threat equals deadly force response. I know I wouldn't be going for my taser if confronted with a firearm. No way.
Wonder140 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 18:09   #5
collim1
Shower Time!

Deadly force threat equals deadly force response. Period.

I have seen a taser fail more times than I have seen it work.

It certain scenarios, like a standoff with a suicidal subject, a taser attempt backed up by several officers with an immediate deadly force response is an option, but still a dangerous one.

The taser is a good tool, but once the fight is on it is a one shot, close range deal. It is not appropriate to use when an officers life is in danger.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 18:35   #6
Bruce M

Attempting to stop someone armed with a firearm by using a Taser would probably not be the first choice under most circumstances. My guess is that the vast majority of agency policies would allow and/or heavily suggest a different (higher) response. That said generally if less force than is allowed is used and the situation is favorably solved, that generally is not viewed as a problem. It is also one of the reasons veteran officers are often paid twice that of rookies.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 02-18-2012 at 18:39..
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 18:38   #7
Noobb

I know this is a far fetched "what if" scenario so I apologize. However, say an individual has a gun trained on you. You are unarmed except for your taser. If given a window of opportunity, would you taser the perp who has the gun pointed at you? My basic question is, will the shock cause him to squeeze the trigger? I know this would never likely be the case in a LE situation but what if? Or possibly, would you want the individual who is pointing a gun at you to be tasered by someone else who is intervening?

I am a CCW holder and fully understand using force against force but this is strictly a "what if" question. Thanks again for your replies!
Old 02-18-2012, 18:43   #8
Bruce M

In as much as I have seen people become incontinent from a Taser I suspect that it is possible that someone could pull the trigger especially if they already had started to increase pressure. My other guess though is that usually the reaction would be for muscles to relax rather than contract.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 02-18-2012 at 18:44..
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 21:23   #9
Glock Fanatic

Threat of Deadly force = Deadly force... As far as I know (and I could be wrong) almost ALL LEO Civ and Military use the FLETC Use Of Force model which is a 3 sided 5 tiered color coded model which shows the escalation and de-escalation of force and on each level they show the subject action, officer perception, and officer response for each tier... the use of force should be based upon objective reasonableness, and you SHOULD only use the least amount of force necessary to render your target incapable of continuing the act that caused you to use force. so again threat of deadly force or griveious bodily harm is responded with deadly force... The taser would be better used as a tool against a non-compliant active, non-armed individual.

Im not sure if FLETC still teaches the model but like I said its still widely used... keep in mind im not perfect and I dont know everything so I could be wrong, feel free to correct me If I am...
Attached Thumbnails
General Firearms Forum - Click for larger version  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

G19 Gen 4
G23 Gen 3
S&W Model 40
Glock Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 21:37   #10
m2hmghb

From what I recall using a tazer on an armed suspect could result in him firing the weapon due to muscle spasms. NOT a good idea.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 21:38   #11
M2 Carbine

Quote:
Using a Taser on an armed person ??
Sounds like a very bad idea. Right up there with taking a knife to a gun fight.
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 21:40   #12
ijacek

It's called "Transition Drills" going from lesser force option to higher as dictated by the situation at hand!
Old 02-18-2012, 21:45   #13
ijacek

Quote:
Using a Taser on an armed person!
Self defense according to a Liberal! Guns kill people! Tasers save lives!

Last edited by ijacek; 02-18-2012 at 21:45..
ijacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 22:09   #14
Steve in PA

No LEO would ever go with a TASER when faced with a gun.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 14:03   #15
Noobb

I'm not sure you guys get it still, it's not about bringing a knife to a gunfight. Say the taser was your only weapon on hand. Would you use it on a guy who has his gun trained on you?

Are there any cases or studies which say this may cause him to pull the trigger?

Thanks again for the replies
Old 02-19-2012, 14:16   #16
tattedglock651
FNG

Quote:
I'm not sure you guys get it still, it's not about bringing a knife to a gunfight. Say the taser was your only weapon on hand. Would you use it on a guy who has his gun trained on you?

Are there any cases or studies which say this may cause him to pull the trigger?

I get what your saying and you know what if all I had was taser and that taser meant I have a better chance to to take the person down you're dang right I'm using it its all I got !!! And it may also give you the chance to disarm the person and hold them until a LEO can get there.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
tattedglock651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 16:17   #17
Steve in PA

Quote:

The effects from a TASER do not necessarily prevent a person from pulling a trigger. Where the probes hit will affect the NMI of the TASER.

So to answer your imaginary scenario, if the person has a handgun pointed at me, I am already behind the curve.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 17:02   #18
Glock Fanatic

just wondering why you would have a taser instead of a gun anyway?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

G19 Gen 4
G23 Gen 3
S&W Model 40
Glock Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leo police officer taser