SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-18-2012, 23:23   #1
tim12232
Pistolero

Thinking about selling my SIG

So I bought a SIG P229 Enhanced Elite about 3-4 months ago, I enjoy shooting it....But Im not in love with the gun. As stupid as it sounds, when I go shooting, my G19 goes with me far more even though the SIG is a softer shooter with a sweet DA/SA trigger and an amazingly short positive reset!

I have toyed around with some thoughts for a replacement such as the G17 gen4 "fits hand better" or a Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm 1911. I already have a G21 g4 and G19 g4 I also have a Dan Wesson cbob, So I am familiar with what im looking for. The DW 9mm would be nice as its lighter than my cbob and a smooth shooter that will conceal well with the bobbed tail. The G17 would probably not get carried much just due to its size.

Any thoughts and what should I ask for a private sale price on the SIG, I paid 1050 for it 3-4 months ago?

Thanks

Tim
tim12232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:39   #2
CPatt44

I'll give you $600 for your Sig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2012, 08:58   #3
tim12232
Pistolero

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPatt44 View Post
I'll give you $600 for your Sig.

you sound like a gun shop offer! I am thinking of putting it up for 900 obo and letting it go for around 800. I always start high because of low balling.

Is armslist a good way to go?
I also had no need for NV, so I went with the 512. As far as the submersion, if I'm 10 feet under water and still holding onto my rifle, something has gone terribly awry and I don't think an extra 23 feet is going to matter to me. YMMV
G21 Club #858
Old 02-19-2012, 09:03   #4
Travelin' Jack
Misinformed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim12232 View Post
you sound like a gun shop offer! I am thinking of putting it up for 900 obo and letting it go for around 800. I always start high because of low balling.

Is armslist a good way to go?
Where are you from? A lot of places have a local-ish forum or board of some kind for private gun sales.

EDIT - I think if you just put $800 FIRM on it for the price, you'll get it fairly quick.

Last edited by Travelin' Jack; 02-19-2012 at 09:05..
Travelin' Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:34   #5
ranger88
CLM Number 130
Charter Lifetime Member

If you can afford it, my advice is to keep the SIG. A few months after selling it, you'll start thinking about it again and how well it shot for you. Then sir, you'll be suffering from seller's remorse. Keep the SIG, save for the next gun.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:59   #6
James Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger88 View Post
If you can afford it, my advice is to keep the SIG. A few months after selling it, you'll start thinking about it again and how well it shot for you. Then sir, you'll be suffering from seller's remorse. Keep the SIG, save for the next gun.
This!! I try not to sell or trade guns anymore
James Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:06   #7
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

I would save up for the new one you want and buy it. If after having the new one for a bit you find the SIG sits in the safe and you just don't dig it, sell it.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:20   #8
Glock!9

Send a message via AIM to Glock!9
I have the SIG extreme and feel very much the same as you however for me I have no desire to sell any guns. When I was younger and couldn't afford to buy another gun I always traded in or sold it to get something new, now I like to just keep them all. I always regretted selling something. Wish I could have all the guns I bought over the years.
Old 02-19-2012, 15:09   #9
Bruce M

I would guess that you may miss the Sig more in the future than you think. I would say at least try a different pair of grips on it before you let it go.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 02-19-2012 at 15:10..
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 18:52   #10
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock!9 View Post
I have the SIG extreme and feel very much the same as you however for me I have no desire to sell any guns. When I was younger and couldn't afford to buy another gun I always traded in or sold it to get something new, now I like to just keep them all. I always regretted selling something. Wish I could have all the guns I bought over the years.
I have my eye on the 226 extreme in .40 S&W. I really like the grips and the short reset trigger.
Old 02-19-2012, 18:53   #11
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
So I bought a SIG P229 Enhanced Elite about 3-4 months ago, I enjoy shooting it....But Im not in love with the gun. As stupid as it sounds, when I go shooting, my G19 goes with me far more even though the SIG is a softer shooter with a sweet DA/SA trigger and an amazingly short positive reset!

I have toyed around with some thoughts for a replacement such as the G17 gen4 "fits hand better" or a Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm 1911. I already have a G21 g4 and G19 g4 I also have a Dan Wesson cbob, So I am familiar with what im looking for. The DW 9mm would be nice as its lighter than my cbob and a smooth shooter that will conceal well with the bobbed tail. The G17 would probably not get carried much just due to its size.

Any thoughts and what should I ask for a private sale price on the SIG, I paid 1050 for it 3-4 months ago?

Thanks

Tim
Don't sell it. Keep it and save up for something else. You'll regret selling it if you do.
Old 02-19-2012, 23:51   #12
tim12232
Pistolero

Its really not so much a trading thing that I am wanting to do or sell to afford...I can afford the other guns without selling the SIG, I just dont want the SIG to become the red headed step child of my guns. But with that said I too am afraid that if I got rid of it, I may miss it?
I also had no need for NV, so I went with the 512. As far as the submersion, if I'm 10 feet under water and still holding onto my rifle, something has gone terribly awry and I don't think an extra 23 feet is going to matter to me. YMMV
G21 Club #858
Old 02-20-2012, 00:00   #13
Hokiegrass

Quote:
Its really not so much a trading thing that I am wanting to do or sell to afford...I can afford the other guns without selling the SIG, I just dont want the SIG to become the red headed step child of my guns. But with that said I too am afraid that if I got rid of it, I may miss it?
Killer gun collection if a Sig 229 Elite is at risk of becoming the red-headed step child of your collection...
Old 02-20-2012, 08:50   #14
PlasticGuy

I have never understood why some guys look at selling a gun like they are selling a child. It's a piece of metal. Keep it if you like it. Sell it if you don't.

Some guns give you that "warm fuzzy" feeling, and others just don't. I've had several high quality guns that I never really warmed up to. If your Sig fits in that category, sell it and try something else.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:00   #15
toaddad

I started my Sig line with a P6 which I had factory rehabbed. Next was a Sig 239 (great single stack 9mm carry gun). Last year I picked up a NIB Sig 229 E2 also in 9mm. Although bigger than a Glock 19, it has great ergonomics for my medium sized hand, short reset trigger and super single and double action trigger pulls. It is also super accurate, came with 3 fifteen round mags for $810 plus tax, and is dead nuts reliable. Definitely a keeper. Suggesst you hang onto yours and shoot it some more. You will find it as comfortable and reliable as a pair of old slippers.
toaddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 14:35   #16
tim12232
Pistolero

Fine!!! After much deliberation and dry firing "I love that SRT trigger." I will hold on to the SIG! I will spend more time with it and try to warm to it a bit more. I guess the saying "if you have to ask; you shouldn't" is probably appropriate here. If I get to the point where I "want" to sell it, then its the time, but if im questioning it, Ill hold off for now!

Thanks,

Tim
G21 Club #858
Old 02-20-2012, 19:20   #17
JLA

Quote:
Fine!!! After much deliberation and dry firing "I love that SRT trigger." I will hold on to the SIG! I will spend more time with it and try to warm to it a bit more. I guess the saying "if you have to ask; you shouldn't" is probably appropriate here. If I get to the point where I "want" to sell it, then its the time, but if im questioning it, Ill hold off for now!

Thanks,

Tim

There ya go
JLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 22:19   #18
Mike 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger88 View Post
I sold my P239 a few months ago because I wasn't in love with it, and now I want it back .

Sub Club #1962
Mike 257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:59   #19
stooxie
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticGuy View Post
I have never understood why some guys look at selling a gun like they are selling a child. It's a piece of metal. Keep it if you like it. Sell it if you don't.

Some guns give you that "warm fuzzy" feeling, and others just don't. I've had several high quality guns that I never really warmed up to. If your Sig fits in that category, sell it and try something else.
I agree with this. I've made a few purchases that, for one reason or another, just kind of fizzled with me. Guns I've sold because they just didn't do it for me:

Beretta 92FS stainless. From the instant I opened the box something just wasn't right. Maybe it was the plastic parts or the matte finish that didn't meet my expectations. Years later bought a 96A1 in Bruniton black and I love it. Go figure.

Weatherby Super Predator Master. Great gun by any measure, just never warmed up to it. 24" barrel is loooong.

Kimber Target Match. Never fired it once, just didn't end up doing it for me. I replaced it with a Kimber Warrior and it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Browning BLR Pistol Grip. Absolutely beautiful gun, blueing so deep you could drown in it. I decided I had to have a lever gun. A few years later I can't figure out why I decided that. Gone.

Sometimes we don't quite know what we want until we make a few mistakes. It's a learning process. I love my Sig P226 Elite in 9mm and P226 Stainless in .357SIG but if the OP isn't in love give it the heave ho!

-Stooxie

Last edited by stooxie; 02-21-2012 at 16:36..
stooxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 14:35   #20
High Altitude

I have a Sig229 that I bought when they very first came out.

Every couple years I think, "should I sell it?"

I don't and then a few months later I tell myself "good thing I didn't sell it"

Then a couple years later I do it all over again..............LOL...

Still have it............
High Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote