Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-30-2012, 23:42   #21
RYT 2BER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Wow, you think they're ugly?

To each their own, I guess.
My taste tends to be a bit blingy, and they look almost like dated 1911s to me... Kind of the same issues I have with the 10mm deltas... They just look "old"

I will admit, I like the ones with the black machine aluminum grips in the pics above... I guess those just have enough of a modern look for me over the more stayed smooth wood.

Again though taste is of course subjective.

I've thought about ordering one for laughs but I've got to take it easy with more $1500 toys..

The gun still on the top of my "dumb things I don't need and shouldn't spend money on" is a s&w 500 revolver.... Only God knows why

Last edited by RYT 2BER; 11-30-2012 at 23:45..
RYT 2BER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 00:03   #22
CDR_Glock

I acquired an 80s model from a friend. I updated the adjustable sights with low profile tritium by Novak. It cost a bundle to get it modified but it was worth it. Accuracy is great. I hit 50 and 75 yard plates with it, open sights, free handed standing.

Reliability is excellent but it does not cycle Blazer Aluminum 357 magnums. It only does brass. Never tried 38 because I don't like that round. I only use 158 and 125 grains of 357. Never tried the other weights of ammo.

It's a huge grip but it's comfortable. Handles recoil very well, and it's the softest shooting 357 magnum I own. It's not a true 1911 but it's a bad ass pistol with an 8 plus 1 capacity. It's a practical round and a go to gun for me. Ankle carry. NOT!

Far from useless. It's a great gun and it always brings a smile to my face when I shoot it.

My YouTube Channel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by CDR_Glock; 12-01-2012 at 00:05..
CDR_Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:13   #23
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

The Coonan certainly has a cool factor! If I wasn't broke I might get one with night sights.
Old 12-01-2012, 20:28   #24
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYT 2BER View Post
My taste tends to be a bit blingy, and they look almost like dated 1911s to me... Kind of the same issues I have with the 10mm deltas... They just look "old"

I will admit, I like the ones with the black machine aluminum grips in the pics above... I guess those just have enough of a modern look for me over the more stayed smooth wood.

Again though taste is of course subjective.

I've thought about ordering one for laughs but I've got to take it easy with more $1500 toys..

The gun still on the top of my "dumb things I don't need and shouldn't spend money on" is a s&w 500 revolver.... Only God knows why
I actually prefer classic looking firearms.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 20:51   #25
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

You guys are killing me. I can only dream of having one. Same ammo as my CCW revolvers.

The lead time might be the rest of my life. I'll just have to keep saving.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 21:21   #26
Veedubklown

Quote:
Wow, you think they're ugly?

To each their own, I guess.
I have to admit I'm not a fan either, but for me it's the full length dust cover. Some are done well, this one.. isn't. Also, that trigger looks goofy. How's the grip on em? It looks really big, almost disproportionate, and definitely off that key profile that the 1911 has down perfect.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:18   #27
jrs93accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedubklown View Post
I have to admit I'm not a fan either, but for me it's the full length dust cover. Some are done well, this one.. isn't. Also, that trigger looks goofy. How's the grip on em? It looks really big, almost disproportionate, and definitely off that key profile that the 1911 has down perfect.
I will say this, my Coonan .357 is one of the nicest shooting pistols out there. It very comfortable to shoot. I have even had some first-time female shooters try it and shoot very well with it. Looks are not everything. Until you have shot one, you are missing out on a fantastic shooter.

A bad day shooting beats a great day working!
jrs93accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:42   #28
bac1023

Quote:
Ok. The reason its profile is different than a 1911 is because it NOT a 1911. I've said that over and over on this forum. No offense to you, because its probably the first time you have heard it.

The trigger looks "goofy" because its not a 1911 trigger. It pivots. Also, there is no barrel link, which is a key feature in the 1911's design. The frame is bigger because it fires a 357 magnum round. The grips are wider. The grip safety is different. I wouldn't compare the full length dust cover to a 1911 with the same feature, because they're two different guns.

Yes, it has some 1911 traits, but the Coonan is its own design. Why people (such as the OP) constantly want to refer to it as a 1911, I don't understand. If you handle one, you'll know instantly that its a totally different breed.

I will certainly agree the 1911 looks better.

Last edited by bac1023; 02-12-2013 at 07:03..
Old 02-12-2013, 06:43   #29
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs93accord View Post
I will say this, my Coonan .357 is one of the nicest shooting pistols out there. It very comfortable to shoot. I have even had some first-time female shooters try it and shoot very well with it. Looks are not everything. Until you have shot one, you are missing out on a fantastic shooter.
It is an awesome shooter, James.

I personally like the looks of it quite a bit.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:02   #30
DFin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYT 2BER View Post
I always think they seem pretty cool, but to my eyes they are as ugly as sin.
Kind of like a stainless steel Glock.
DFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 17:27   #31
spcwes

Dan needs more product pics on the website, hard to find them. Just my $.02.
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American perception that each individual is accountable for his/her actions." -Ronald Reagan-
spcwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 17:40   #32
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

For the question of "How is it to shoot?" Coonan's daughters have little problems with them. I talked with one and she says they're fun and easy to shoot.

http://www.coonaninc.com/news13.php

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 17:52   #33
bac1023

They're very easy to shoot, Janice. The gun weighs nearly 45oz empty.

Old 02-13-2013, 22:35   #34
Veedubklown

Quote:
Ok. The reason its profile is different than a 1911 is because it NOT a 1911....

I will certainly agree the 1911 looks better.
Oh no bac, I know it's quite different, I've seen you say that many times on here. I can see the mechanical differences, but there is still parts interchangeability between the guns for *some* stuff. The bigger grip due to the bigger round I also figured, but I've held a 10mm 1911 and it wasn't too bad. This looks really goofy. Also, the dust cover just makes it look, squirt-gunish I suppose. I know it's not a 1911, but it's like.. 1/3. And in that 2/3s that's not, they effed it up in the aesthetics department.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:44   #35
bac1023

Quote:
Oh no bac, I know it's quite different, I've seen you say that many times on here. I can see the mechanical differences, but there is still parts interchangeability between the guns for *some* stuff. The bigger grip due to the bigger round I also figured, but I've held a 10mm 1911 and it wasn't too bad. This looks really goofy. Also, the dust cover just makes it look, squirt-gunish I suppose. I know it's not a 1911, but it's like.. 1/3. And in that 2/3s that's not, they effed it up in the aesthetics department.
Well, it was originally designed in the 1970's. Things were different back then.

10mm 1911s use a real 1911 frame, but the 357 has a longer overall length.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:35   #36
Poohgyrr
trout fear me!

Quote:
Absolutely. Mine had no problem emptying mags full of current factory full power ammo into one (small) hole at 30'. And I'm not the world's greatest shooter.

Accurate. Reliable when you lube per instructions. These are easier to CCW than the (also great) 7 and 8 round S&W revolvers being made these days.

These shoot 38 Specials, and surpass what the 357Sig can do.

These are sweet shooting pistols.

Here is are pics of my old original Model B that I sold before Dan resumed production and resolved the mag shortage problem:

1911 Forums

1911 Forums
Snoopy Lives!! Luke 22:36 Ephesians 4:26-32
357Sig Club #3531 S&W Club #10 BHP Club #35
"Life brings both sorrows and joys alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

Last edited by Poohgyrr; 02-14-2013 at 11:40..
Poohgyrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:45   #37
XDMUSER

Quote:
Here is mine. According to Dan Coonan, it is a late '80s production. These pistols are a real blast to shoot. They are a bit pricey new, around $1300. Used ones can run from $1000-$1200. I got mine for a steal. I bought it from a guy in Missoula, MT for $840 shipped and that included two magazines. It did not come in the original case, but that was still a helluva deal.

1911 Forums

1911 Forums
Man wish I could find one in that good of shape! I have seen and passed on several over the last few years. All of them looked like they had been drug behind a truck through the streets. Nice cannon!

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
XDMUSER is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
.357, .357magnum, .38special, 1911, coonan