Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 19:19   #276
lawboy

Using the 336 ejector and MIM LCI extractor, the light polishing on top and bottom of extractor fixed the brass to the face with my G19, and improved the strength and consistency of ejections with my G17 and G26 that were not sending brass to the face.

I'm not saying this is a cure for 100% of the problems, but it has resolved mine.
Old 03-17-2012, 19:26   #277
ken grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawboy View Post
Using the 336 ejector and MIM LCI extractor, the light polishing on top and bottom of extractor fixed the brass to the face with my G19, and improved the strength and consistency of ejections with my G17 and G26 that were not sending brass to the face.

I'm not saying this is a cure for 100% of the problems, but it has resolved mine.
Happy for you!!!!!!
Made my 19 and 26 worse
Old 03-17-2012, 19:34   #278
dusty_dragon

if i got it right, there are 4 dsitinctive features for the extractors:

angle to breechface 90 / 15
investment cast / MIM
non-LCI / LCI
non dipped / dipped

did i forget something?

are some features always combined with others, f.e. all non-LCI are always also investment cast, non-dipped and have a 15 angle etc.?

Last edited by dusty_dragon; 03-17-2012 at 19:35..
Old 03-17-2012, 19:41   #279
novasquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty_dragon View Post
are some features always combined with others, f.e. all non-LCI are always also investment cast, non-dipped and have a 15 angle etc.?
dude, you're making it overly complicated. everything you've ever wanted to know to fix an erratic ejection has been discussed here and on this board. voyager already gave you some pointers earlier. pick one "fix," try it, and report back how it works for you. simple.
Old 03-17-2012, 19:54   #280
Noponer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty_dragon View Post
... do you know if all gen. 3 glocks (9mm models) have the 15 cut or when they changed the 90 to the 15, f.e. gen. 2 to gen. 3?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager4520 View Post
I believe it was some time in late Gen2, perhaps very early Gen3 that the slides began receiving 15 degree ejection ports.
It was in late Gen2 for all Glocks. It started earlier in Gen2 G21's.

There were some ejection problems (not well-published, as many Glock glitches), so G21's had the 15 degree cut added before other models. In fact, the factory would rework a G21 slide with a 90 degree port... along with the stripper bar (that shoves the next round into the chamber). In the early 1990's, I took my G21 slide to the factory & it was sent back to me in a couple of weeks with those changes, plus a refinish job (very black dull finish back then). No charge.

Last edited by Noponer; 03-17-2012 at 19:54..
Old 03-17-2012, 20:01   #281
dusty_dragon

@novasquid:
i got no glock to fix right now, all work fine at the moment, i'm just collecting info JIC and on the different stages of development of the extractors/ejectors and why glock did this and that to improve this and that.
this thread got so much info on so many different perspectives, so i thought it's the best place to ask detailed questions.

@noponer:
thanks for the info

Last edited by dusty_dragon; 03-17-2012 at 20:01..
Old 03-17-2012, 20:04   #282
novasquid

it dawned on me after i posted my last message that you're just gathering info. more power to you, but please keep in mind the point of this thread.
Old 03-17-2012, 20:08   #283
dusty_dragon

no prob, i don't wanna get away from the main theme of this thread, sorry if this was the case. just thought the question would, more or less, fit in here.
Old 03-17-2012, 20:28   #284
ken grant

Polishing the top and bottom of extractors for both my 19 &26 with the dip LCI's made my ejections worse.
The same with my non dips as well in the same pistols.

Next range trip I plan to take an old 90 degree extractor and matching SLB to try and also take a .40 LCI extractor to try as well.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:43   #285
dusty_dragon

keep us informed, please

good luck
Old 03-18-2012, 05:12   #286
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

I like the comments offered by Voyager4520. I'd like to say a little more about why Dave Nowlin's solution, also, works. (Which was how this entire, now rather long, thread began.)

Now, let's see, how can I explain this? OK, yes, the new molded extractor claws are slightly too large, and the new extractor claws do a really poor job of gripping the cartridge rim tightly. Consequently, when extraction starts to take place and without that slight angle to the claw, like the 40 caliber extractor has, the case is going to come out of the chamber along a lower horizontal axis.

Something else is going to happen to: Because the inside shoulder of the new molded extractors is slightly oversized, once the cartridge case is almost out of the chamber the new extractors are unable to move backwards into the slide with the same, 'snap' as the older extractors are able to do.

This means that a spent cartridge case is going to be, 'pushed' more out of the gun rather than, 'snapped' out; and THIS is what Nowlin's solution actually addresses. Consequently, there's more than just one performance characteristic wrong with Glock's new molded extractors. If I were to do a list, it would look like this:

1. The top and bottom, 'flats' are too thick and need to be polished down.

2. There is no reverse angle on the earliest extractor claws.

3. The claws on these molded extractors are too large and the fit is sloppy.

4. The inside, 'shoulder' is slightly oversized and inhibits inward extractor motion (or, 'snap') at the end of the slide's stroke.

5. I have a suspicion that the recoil characteristics of Glock's new dual-action guide rod design contribute to this situation.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:27   #287
Made in Austria

Wish I had one of those high speed cameras for slow motion analysis. I would point the lens right into the ejection port. That would make it so much easier to find out whats going on here. Right now we can only speculate and lots of testing to find out how a problematic Glock can be fixed.

But, one thing is for certain, there is/was a problem with some newer Glock's.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:33   #288
ken grant

I have a friend who is one of the best 1911 Troubleshooters around and he has a saying.

" When you have a well balanced system( as the early Glocks seem to have) and you make MINOR changes to any part of it, you have to make other changes to compensate for it. No matter if it was done for so-called improvements or cost cutting."
Old 03-18-2012, 17:43   #289
gunner76

I just put 50 more rounds through my Gen4 G19 witht he extractor that I worked over. Polishing a little off the step seems to have cured the inconsistant ejection. I had one casing come back towards me, but I know that it was caused by breaking my wrist and letting the gun roll back. The rest of the casings made a nice arc coming out of the gun(they were high enough that I could only see them if I took my focus off the gun and looked) and landed about 4ft away in a fairly small area. I didn't think the little bit of polishing I did would make a difference, but it seems to be the cure, at least for this gun. I can verify that taking some off the step is what made the difference because I ran half a box through the gun with only the top/bottom surfaces of the extractor polished and there was no difference in ejection from before I messed with the gun.

On a side note, I have a Gen4 G17 that had erratic ejection and I was one of the ones who got a LWD .40 extractor thinking it was a 9mm and that cured the problems this gun was having.

Last edited by gunner76; 03-18-2012 at 17:45..
Old 03-18-2012, 18:12   #290
novasquid

i'm curious, have you tried the .40 extractor from your g17 in your g19?
Old 03-18-2012, 18:23   #291
gunner76

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
i'm curious, have you tried the .40 extractor from your g17 in your g19?
no I haven't. I wanted to try the polishing trick first and see what happened. Next weekend I"ll switch the extractors around and try the .40 extractor in the g19 and the polished extractor in the g17 to see what happens. If the polished extractor works in the g17 also, I might just polish the factory one and put it back in. The LWD one works fine in the g17, but it bugs me a little not having the correct part in the gun.

Last edited by gunner76; 03-18-2012 at 18:24..
Old 03-18-2012, 18:51   #292
dusty_dragon

keep us informed how the guns perform with the switched extractors

good luck
Old 03-18-2012, 20:07   #293
tactical556

Just wanted to give a final report on my gen 3 G19 ejection issues. The pistol was manufactured in Nov of 2011. From day 1 the ejection was horrible. Brass dribbling out of the gun. In my face. You name it.

Called Glock and they had my armorer swap out the ejector (replaced the newer style 336 with the old style). That made the issue worse. So off the to the factory the gun went.

4 weeks later its back. New extractor (non MIM), new ejector. 30274(if I recall...totally different number and design) and it looks like a new trigger group as well. Pistol is now flawless.

The problem was inconvienent but Glock fixed it. If you have issues, send it back!

EDIT: Also, when I sent it back, I simply told them to do whatever was needed to make it work as a Glock should work (you know, perfectly) or to replace it with either a new gen 3 or gen 4 gun.

Ejection is now strong...really strong after they put those new parts in there. I limp-wristed it, shot ir from every goofy position I could. Very strong, very positive ejection. No failures. No brass issues. It shoots like the G19s that helped make Glock famous and it's now my daily carry weapon.

ALSO: The problem was pretty obvious to me: The extractor was not working as well as it should and that in conjunction with a "new" 336 ejector design was a combo from hell. The brass was getting pulled but it was slamming into the wall just below the ejection port causing the brass to fly up and back rather and up and out to the 3-4 o'clock postion as it is now. I told Glock as much on the sheet I sent in with the gun. And I sent that gun in there very, very clean. It came back fairly dirty. Which means they put a decent amount of rounds through it and that made me happy. I called about 2 weeks ago and they said "The gun was triaged on XXX date and its in line to get fixed". Which tells me they fired it, saw it was screwed up and then put it in line with the other G19's. LOL.

To all those in the market for the G19: Its still the standard in compact 9mm. Just don't buy one if it has the MIM extractor. I am not sure what Glock is doingg from the factory now. The 30274 ejector may be standard. It may not be. But be picky as hell if you are buying a new Gen 3 gun.

Last edited by tactical556; 03-18-2012 at 22:03..
Old 03-18-2012, 21:49   #294
TrueGunNut

Sending my year old gen3 g19 to glock in smyrna tomorrow. Got the pre-paid shipping label like you folks told me to ask for.

I said I want:

the new 30274 ejector

new NON-MIM extractor

Test fired and make sure everything was spec

Also having trijicon night sights installed (for if my gun comes back worth a damn!) I like NS on all of my semi autos especially on the g19, since I had been exclusively carrying it.

Wish me luck, please!
Old 03-18-2012, 21:50   #295
TrueGunNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tactical556 View Post
Just wanted to give a final report on my gen 3 G19 ejection issues. The pistol was manufactured in Nov of 2011. From day 1 the ejection was horrible. Brass dribbling out of the gun. In my face. You name it.

Called Glock and they had my armorer swap out the ejector (replaced the newer style 336 with the old style). That made the issue worse. So off the to the factory the gun went.

4 weeks later its back. New extractor (non MIM), new ejector. 20374(if I recall...totally different number and design) and it looks like a new trigger group as well. Pistol is now flawless.

The problem was inconvienent but Glock fixed it. If gou have issues, send it back!
Glad to hear, tactical556! Did you tell them about your trigger group/ request that? Or did they do that on their own. Hoping I said all the right stuff. Told them brass was ejecting at my face/ the usual, too.
Old 03-18-2012, 22:05   #296
tactical556

I edited my post above so it likely answers some of that. I didn't tell them to replace the trigger group. I just told them to make the gun perfect.

As for what you told them - I am sure you are fine. Glock is going to take any gun they get back, fix it, get it up to factory spec and send it home to you. I would not not sweat it. When you get it back, some of those internals will surely look different.

Last edited by tactical556; 03-18-2012 at 22:06..
Old 03-19-2012, 00:38   #297
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in Austria View Post
...But, one thing is for certain, there is/was a problem with some newer Glock owners.

Fixed it for ya.

Old 03-19-2012, 13:38   #298
PlasticFan

Where can we order the non-MIM LCI extractor?
Old 03-19-2012, 13:51   #299
plouffedaddy

Well Glock just charged my credit card Friday for a parts order I faxed in a couple weeks ago (which included extractors). I'll post a pic of the ones they send me whenever they show up...
Old 03-19-2012, 14:54   #300
diamondd2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticFan View Post
Where can we order the non-MIM LCI extractor?
I would like to know this too.
Closed Thread