Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 16:03   #426
ap430

This makes me wonder about the differences in the actual slide, particularly the ejection port... Can any one who owns both a new and early Gen 3's/late Gen 2's that have no issues, see if glock actually made any slight differences in the ejection port area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager4520 View Post
I wonder if the OP of that thread got the Apex extractor along with the lowered ejection port, or the Apex ejector. I'd like to see more companies make quality Glock extractors.

From the pictures it looks like the factory investment cast extractor.
Old 04-17-2012, 15:33   #427
brickboy240

I just bought a new Gen 3 G19. Born on date of 4-4-2012.

336 ejector, too.

I will fire it Saturday (with 250rds) and see what happens.

I hope I did not screw up in buying this thing....I could have had a Walther PPQ or a sweet used USP9 compact...but bought this instead.

...fingers crossed!

- brickboy240
Old 04-17-2012, 15:51   #428
dusty_dragon

keep my fingers crossed for your G19, i'm wondering why it still has the "336" ejector.

but the HK USP 9 compact would also have been a great piece of gun
Old 04-17-2012, 16:17   #429

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post
I just bought a new Gen 3 G19. Born on date of 4-4-2012.

336 ejector, too.

I will fire it Saturday (with 250rds) and see what happens.

I hope I did not screw up in buying this thing....I could have had a Walther PPQ or a sweet used USP9 compact...but bought this instead.

...fingers crossed!

- brickboy240
I think you did good!

My Gen 3 19 has been problem free, I believe any ejection issue I had with it were more related to spring tension in the magazine rather than the extractor/ejector. I have the 336 ejector in my pistol.

I'll know Thursday if switching out the extractor hook for the old version will "work" or not.

As far as changes in the ejection port area, comparing my old 1 pin G17 to the newer pistols, there is a slight bevel outboard of the extractor - so I would think that would help rather than hinder flinging out the empties.
Old 04-17-2012, 16:19   #430

Opps double post!

Last edited by 153; 04-18-2012 at 07:46.. Reason: Double Post
Old 04-17-2012, 16:26   #431
brickboy240

I hope so!

When I get back from my informal break in/range test on Saturday, I'll post results.

Have 200rds of Federal 115gr fmjs, 2 20rd boxes of Gold Dots and a box of 147gr SXTs to run. I should know by the end of that run if I am going to have a problem with being hit with brass by then.

...fingers crossed
Old 04-17-2012, 18:56   #432
tigman250

Got my G34 back from Glock today, the packing list said, "Inspected, Installed Glock Night Sights, meets factory specs, tested OK." Quickly tore into it to find EVERYTHING had been replaced internally and it now has a 30274 ejector. I ran just over a box through it 5 min after FedEx dude left my house. On the first mag I had 2 hit my right arm (right handed) and one fell between my arms. Thought, well, none hit my head/face! took slide off and popped the extractor out.....ok I had to pry it out, so I stoned top, bottom and polished both (top was decent but bottom had pretty good "nipple" sticking up) put it back together and finished off the rest of my ammo.

I would shoot, then watch brass fall, squeeze another off then watch brass, at least half a mag HIT the first empty on the ground, the rest were fairly close by, I would say overall the rest of the brass was in a 2' circle.

While the brass all went right and back (after I stoned the extractor) the pile was still less than 2' away from mt right leg. That's disapointing but I am satisfied it does not seem to be chucking it at the shooter anymore. Next week we will be shooting it allot with multiple shooters, I hesitate to call it fixed till I have 500 or so rounds through it. I'll keep you posted with updates after I get a decent number of rounds through it.

Overall I am satisfied, I would prefer it sling empties a little further but like my shooting buddy said, I can always stand on his left and no one will have to get hit with brass ha ha ha! I appreciate the way Glock handled the situation, they were nice enough to send me a shipper so there was no cost to me (other than my N/S) and I had the gun back in exactly 2 weeks. As long as I don't get hit with any more brass now or in the future I'm happy.

Last edited by tigman250; 04-17-2012 at 19:35..
Old 04-17-2012, 19:22   #433
ap430

Why is glock still putting in the "old" 336 ejector in newly made pistols? Mine also had the 336 which had a test date of December 2011, I recently just had the new one put in at my local blue label dealer. I plan on testing it this week.
Old 04-17-2012, 20:02   #434
ken grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken grant View Post
Seems as if the more I do to my Gen.3 (12/09) 19 , the worse the ejection gets.

At the first I got a few crazy ejections per mag. Polished the top and bottom of the extractor and things got worse.

Removed a very small amount from the step and still no change, more crazy ejections.

Today was the worse I ever had. Empty cases went everywhere. Left,at my feet,over my head,right forward,in my face and a few where they should be.

Had a 8ft.X 10ft. tarp spread out to my right to ease my brass pickup and had more cases off the tarp than on it.

Wish I had left well enough alone with just a few cases to my head instead of trying to fix it.
Went back to range today with the 19 and a different extractor in it. A non-dip LCI that I had on hand with no stoning or polishing applied.

Ejection was better but still not right. None hit my face but a couple on top of my cap, a few right forward, some directly behind me,a couple between my arms and some to my left. Ejection was still worse than it was before I started messing with it.

Going to try to go back in the morning and try again with an old 90 degree extractor installed.

Sometime this week I have a couple of Gen 4 housings with the newer ejector coming in. Hope to try them by the weekend.

Last edited by ken grant; 04-17-2012 at 20:07..
Old 04-18-2012, 00:50   #435
dusty_dragon

yea, try tjhe new 30274 ejector and if this alone won't cure the prob, try a .40S&W extractor (plus SLB if at hand) too.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:42   #436
voyager4520
-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap430 View Post
Why is glock still putting in the "old" 336 ejector in newly made pistols?
Glock usually tries to produce as few parts as possible across their product line-up, but at the same time I don't think they'd start using a new part until they were confident it worked at least as well as the old part. They could use Gen4/45GAP trigger bars in the Gen3's but so far they haven't, and I have no idea why.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:06   #437
kamonjj

Everyone might as well just wait until this summer when apex comes out with their extractor kit. I know I can't wait

Certified Glock armorer.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:52   #438
brickboy240

How sad is it that we have to "wait' for aftermarket to fix this problem?

I guess Glock just could not stick with what has worked for them and what built their reputation and felt pressured to "branch out."

Everyone else was bringing out changeable backstraps and other features so they has to do the same.

The new Gen 4 recoil assembly? What was wrong with the old set up? It worked...and so did the old ejector and extractor. If you cannot stand the recoil of the 40 or 9...maybe you need to hit the gym or take up tennis? LOL

Did the MIM extractor REALLY save them big money over a machined one? Wouldn't most of you all pay another 10 bucks or so to have the machined unit and a gun that runs right? Some BIIG savings there!

Its just sad, watching Glock do what SIG did. Take a very reliable and trustworthy line of guns and turn them in to an iffy platform.

If mine proves to be a pain...I am not going to keep throwing 50-100 bucks here and there, swapping out parts...hoping it gets right. I'll just dump it for a PPQ or M&P. Don't want to give up the platform...but their lack of QC might warrant such a move.

- brickboy240
Old 04-19-2012, 15:31   #439

Shot my G19 & G26 with older 90 degree non-LCI extractors and the proper longer SLB this morning.

First the G26, ejection seemed sharper, and most of the casings landed in a nice pile to the right of me and a foot or two behind. However, there were several rounds that went nearly straight up and fell between my extended arms. Others went left over the pistol. In the 50 to 75 rounds fired, there really seemed to be little or no improvement over the polished original LCI hook. Last range trip I used 124 gr Federal FMC. this time a mix of 124 gr reloads and WWB 115 gr. cartridges. I even tried different magazines to see if that affected the ejection - didn't notice any difference.

The G19, was more erratic, flinging alot of cases up and left. Nothing hit me using either pistol, but in the case of the 19, the last time I shot it with 124 gr bullets and it's original LCI polished extractor every shell exited right and back.

When I cleaned both pistols, I removed the non LCI 90 degree hooks and replaced the original extractors. Other than trying a .40 caliber hook - I don't know what else a fellow can do. I have been lucky that no empties have come back at my face, and the worst I have suffered was a couple of casings that fell on top of my noggin.

I have been using range ammo in my pistols, and have noticed that HP ammo recoils more and likely tosses the cases out with more gusto. For now though, I am just going to sit back and enjoy my Glocks and not strive for "perfect" ejection. As I stated above - I can't think of any more variables to change out, other than the .40 extractor and at $20 + apiece not sure I want to spend more money.

Shooting two lanes away at about 20 feet distant was a friend with two .25 autos, a little Browning and an old FN. Those pistol had no problems ejecting in spite of weak recoil springs and repeated misfeeds. I was even hit a couple of times with the tiny cases and even found one in my range bag - go figure!
Old 04-19-2012, 15:52   #440
novasquid

I say give the 40sw extractor a try. I may be the only one in this thread who has tried a 40sw extractor so it's statistically insignificant, but I think it's worth a try. Hopefully it'll work for you as well. Consider it an investment, like a box of ammos.

Old 04-19-2012, 16:33   #441
dusty_dragon

i'd also go for the .40 extractor as last try.

@novasquid:
did you try a glock OEM .40 extractor or a LWD?
Old 04-19-2012, 17:05   #442

I just may take your advice regards the .40 extractor. However I'm going to pull out some old NATO spec 124 grain hardball and see what happens with that ammo...
Old 04-19-2012, 23:18   #443
ap430

I just came back from the range today, first time shooting my glock 17 gen 3 after it had the new ejector installed.

I shot 200 rounds of Blazer 124gr. Ejection seems improved then it was before, it was generally to my 4 to 5 o clock. Out of the 200 rounds I had about at least 4 to 5 rounds come straight back landing between my arms extended(this generally happened on the last round of a magazine).

Did not have a single round hit the top of my head or go left. Its not perfect, but its a improvement over the 336 ejector.

Overall I am enjoying my new glock 17! I have put about 900 rounds thru it so far.

I am going to leave it a lone and just enjoy it for now. Only thing I might do is try to get a hold of a .40 LW extractor, I know they are back ordered every where.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:19   #444
gunner76

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
I say give the 40sw extractor a try. I may be the only one in this thread who has tried a 40sw extractor so it's statistically insignificant, but I think it's worth a try. Hopefully it'll work for you as well. Consider it an investment, like a box of ammos.

I have a LWD .40 extractor in my gen4 g17 with 336 ejector and the ejection is alot better than with the stock 9mm extractor. Most of the casing land around the 3-4 Oclock range. I tried the polished extractor that I have in my g19, but the g17 wouldn't run right with it. The casing were all over the place, even had one go to the left. The gun has 1500rds total with around 600 of them with the .40 extractor. I also didn't use a .40 SLB, just left the 9mm one in.

The g19 has the newer ejector and runs almost perfect with the polished OEM extractor, before I polished the extractor ejection was very poor.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:09   #445
novasquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty_dragon View Post
i'd also go for the .40 extractor as last try.

@novasquid:
did you try a glock OEM .40 extractor or a LWD?
glock oem 40sw extractor.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:51   #446
ken grant

Just came in from the range after testing my 19 ejections with the 30274 ejector. Non-polished LCI extractor.

100 rds of mid-range reloads used to test.

NONE to the head or face,one to the right forearm, one to the right front,one to the left and several directly behind.

Most went about 2 feet to the right rear.

I figure if the reloads work OK, heavier loads and factory loadswill work better. I didn't have time to test them so next trip they will be shot.
Old 04-20-2012, 18:02   #447

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken grant View Post
Just came in from the range after testing my 19 ejections with the 30274 ejector. Non-polished LCI extractor.

100 rds of mid-range reloads used to test.

NONE to the head or face,one to the right forearm, one to the right front,one to the left and several directly behind.

Most went about 2 feet to the right rear.

I figure if the reloads work OK, heavier loads and factory loadswill work better. I didn't have time to test them so next trip they will be shot.
I think that is as close to optimal performance as anyone is going to get.
Old 04-20-2012, 18:36   #448
dpadams6

Why is everyone so concerned about exactly where their brass lands? As long as they all aren't hitting my face, I could care less. All guns that I shoot at range don't land brass in a perfect little pile. I don't recall ever having one that did. What am I missing here?
Old 04-20-2012, 18:44   #449
dusty_dragon

you are missing nothing, the glocks don't have to eject on a certain pile, but they should eject all brass to the right, not left, backwards, upwards, etc.

i shoot a lot of other pistols, 1911s, SIGs, HKs, CZs etc. all spend their brass to the right (no matter where, but to the right), never to the left or backwards and that's what we are expecting from the glocks also, all brass to the right (not in a pile, but to the right).
Old 04-20-2012, 19:00   #450
ak103k

Quote:
All guns that I shoot at range don't land brass in a perfect little pile.
Mine dont either. Then again, Im not usually standing still while I shoot.

Quote:
you are missing nothing, the glocks don't have to eject on a certain pile, but they should eject all brass to the right, not left, backwards, upwards, etc.
In a perfect world, where you stand still and shoot slowly, you may get this, but add some speed and movement, and you end up in each others path more than you may think.

Quote:
all spend their brass to the right (no matter where, but to the right), never to the left or backwards
Not a P38 shooter I see.
Closed Thread