Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 03:00   #521
dusty_dragon

hopefully the 30274 is all you needed, sometimes this change alone has cured the prob.

if not, try to polish the LWD extractor to fit the slide (just causwe you have it at home anyway), but i'll recommend a .40 extractor the next time you order parts, not another 9mm
Old 05-05-2012, 04:12   #522
voyager4520
-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero9046 View Post
Luck for me, the trigger housing I ordered from Lone Wolf came with a 30274 ejector!
Thanks for that report, now that's one more confirmed source for non-Armorers to get the 30274 ejector.
Quote:
Unlucky for me, the extractor will NOT fit into the slide...not sure what to make of that since I've been reading that even .40 extractors will fit, so I'll have to take that up with Lone Wolf.
Some have reported with LWD extractors that the round leg of the extractor is misshapen in an oblong fashion and that leg may need to be stoned to make it fit into the slide. I didn't experience this with the one LWD extractor I tried, it dropped right in and out freely.

Last edited by voyager4520; 05-05-2012 at 04:12..
Old 05-05-2012, 11:53   #523
zero9046

Ok, went to the range this morning with the 30274 ejector and had mixed results. I didn't have any more remington rounds to shoot this time, so all I shot was the Blazer, Federal, and Speer.

The Speer was FLAWLESS. Every round ejected out to the side and hit the partition at the range. Made me pretty happy. Could this in part be because Speer loads their rounds a bit hotter? (I read somewhere that Speer 115gr TMJ rounds are more loaded similarly to their 124gr hollow points...if so I can believe it because there was a small, albeit noticeable difference between the Speer, and the Federal and Blazer).

The Federal was better than previous range trips, no rounds to my head, but the would sort of "dribble" out more than the Speer, and I was getting some over my head and on my shoulder. Kind of disappointed about this, as I usually only shoot federal because I've never had any issues with it in my Ruger (stopped shooting WWB in my Ruger because of light strikes).

The Blazer SUCKED. Every single round came right back at my head...unfortunate since I had just ordered 250 rounds in a bulk by with my brother to save some cash. The upside is that my Ruger SR9c (my carry gun) seems to like the Blazer just fine, so I guess I'll shoot that Blazer in my Ruger.

In short, I'm still disappointed that I'm having some ejection issues, though with the new ejector it is better. I mentioned in my first post that I had also purchased a Lone Wolf aftermarket extractor, and surmised that it was the wrong one because I couldn't get it to fit last night. I'm not really sure what I was doing/thinking last night that wouldn't allow it to fit (I was putting it in the correct way, it just seemed like it wasn't fitting), but this morning, while my gun was apart for cleaning, I tried it again for kicks, and it slid right in...so...another trip to the range is in order to see if the combination of a new ejector AND new extractor fixes the ejection issue once and for all.

If it doesn't, I'll either just stick to buying Speer Lawman online since I can find it for about the same price as Federal at Walmart, and not worry about it since I haven't had a problem with it or my hollowpoint. Or...if that little niggle in the back of my mind just wont go away, I suppose I'll send it in to Glock (with the original parts re-installed) if I have to.

I REALLY like the way this gun shoots so I'm working really hard to fix/get over the brass to the face issue.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:11   #524
Made in Austria

Very good range report. Thanks!
Old 05-05-2012, 14:06   #525
diamondd2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero9046 View Post

The Speer was FLAWLESS. Every round ejected out to the side and hit the partition at the range. Made me pretty happy. Could this in part be because Speer loads their rounds a bit hotter? (I read somewhere that Speer 115gr TMJ rounds are more loaded similarly to their 124gr hollow points...if so I can believe it because there was a small, albeit noticeable difference between the Speer, and the Federal and Blazer).

The Blazer SUCKED.

If it doesn't, I'll either just stick to buying Speer Lawman .
I have been trying to tell people with Gen4 9mm pistols this for months, but for some reason it keeps getting ignored.

The 115gr Speer is 1200fps and make your ejections nice.
124gr speer is not as good. Why? 1090fps muzzle velocity.

Want to know why the Blazer sucks? 1145fps, that's why.

Anything less than 1150fps will eject erratic. Assuming your pistol has erratic ejection problems to begin with.

Also, you can run 115gr American Eagle, 1180fps. Ejects nice. Or 124gr Nato ammo, usually 1185fps.

And I am tired of hearing about bullet weight. It has absolutely nothing to do with it. It is all about muzzle velocity. Actually, the heavier the bullet, the less the muzzle velocity (in most cases, exceptions=+P & +P+ ammo). Don't believe me? Record all your ammo's muzzle velocity vs ejection performance.
Old 05-05-2012, 14:43   #526
Made in Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondd2 View Post
I have been trying to tell people with Gen4 9mm pistols this for months, but for some reason it keeps getting ignored.

The 115gr Speer is 1200fps and make your ejections nice.
124gr speer is not as good. Why? 1090fps muzzle velocity.

Want to know why the Blazer sucks? 1145fps, that's why.

Anything less than 1150fps will eject erratic. Assuming your pistol has erratic ejection problems to begin with.

Also, you can run 115gr American Eagle, 1180fps. Ejects nice. Or 124gr Nato ammo, usually 1185fps.

And I am tired of hearing about bullet weight. It has absolutely nothing to do with it. It is all about muzzle velocity. Actually, the heavier the bullet, the less the muzzle velocity (in most cases, exceptions=+P & +P+ ammo). Don't believe me? Record all your ammo's muzzle velocity vs ejection performance.

Look, most people bring more than one gun to the range, some even bring two or more 9mm guns to the range which shoot cheap WWB and other cheap brands just fine, exept of the g19 gen4 which needs a special diet of topshelf extra hot ammo to function properly. Lawman and other hotter ammo brands are sometimes pretty hard to find around here. I am NOT going to order ammo online just to make the g19 gen4 function properly. I say it again, if the new 9mm glock's are really so picky about the ammo than it's no good gun in my mind.

You can fire everything through a good old Glock, without getting hot brass in between the shooting glasses and your eyes, not to mention other malfunctions.

I am no anti Glock guy or something, I love my Glocks including my gen4's . I am just a realist.

BTW: bullet weight plays a important role as well, not only velocity. Both, velocity and weight of the bullet are of the same importance in the gun world. Remember, a heavier bullet is harder to accelerate, it remains longer in the barrel which means more preasure build up in between the bullet and the breech face. More kinetic energy gets transfered to the slide.

Last edited by Made in Austria; 05-05-2012 at 15:06..
Old 05-05-2012, 15:12   #527
diamondd2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in Austria View Post
Look, most people bring more than one gun to the range, some even bring two or more 9mm guns to the range which shoot cheap WWB and other cheap brands just fine, exept of the g19 gen4 which needs a special diet of topshelf extra hot ammo to function properly. Lawman and other hotter ammo brands are sometimes pretty hard to find around here. I am NOT going to order ammo online just to make the g19 gen4 function properly. I say it again, if the new 9mm glock's are really so picky about the ammo than it's no good gun in my mind.

You can fire everything through a good old Glock, without getting hot brass in between the shooting glasses and your eyes, not to mention other malfunctions.

I am no anti Glock guy or something, I love my Glocks including my gen4's . I am just a realist.

BTW: bullet weight plays a important role as well, not only velocity. Both, velocity and weight of the bullet are of the same importance in the gun world.
I didnt design the Gen4, just letting everyone know how to get perfect ejections.

Topshelf ammo? I don't think so. Speer Lawman and American Eagle 115gr FMJ is some of the cheapest ammo around. I do buy my ammo online and compare prices all the time.

It does not have to be Speer or AE. Just as long as your buying 9mm ammo that is rated for at least 1150fps at the muzzle (1160fps or more preferably). Otherwise don't worry about the erratic/weak ejection with the practice stuff. Because when it come time to use the Hot SD +P 9mm ammo your pistol will run like a top.

So, what does this tell us about our 9mm Gen4 Glocks?

The faster the ammo, the faster the slide retracts, the better our ejections. Seems to me the RSA is still too heavy for slow practice ammo but good for the SD ammo.

So why did Glock design a new ejector?

To try and compensate for the heavier RSA with slow practice ammo.

Why do we need to polish our extractors?

To try and compensate for the for the heavier RSA with slow practice ammo.

Ok, then why are the Gen3" having the same problem?

Has anyone noticed the RSA on the new Gen3's got heavier than their earlier models?

I would like to see a comparison of lb measurements of the RSA's.

I would bet if some parts maker or Glock produced a few lb lighter RSA, you would be able to eject the slowest ammo perfectly.

Last edited by diamondd2; 05-05-2012 at 15:14..
Old 05-05-2012, 15:51   #528
Made in Austria

I wish it were that easy to just change to a lighter recoil spring. People try this all the time with no good results. I have tried American eagle 115gr and the 124gr's, Winchester PDX1 self defence ammo and others when I first got my g19 gen4 and got no good results out of it as well.

I agree, hot or even +p ammo lets the slide ciycle faster but with less momentum. You can archive the same thing with a heavier bullet because it remains longer in the barrel which causes a higher preasure build up between the bullet and the breech face which transfers more kinetic energy/more momentum to the slide.

The problem lies either in the extraction mechanism, or the barrels in some guns are too hard to unlock. Everytime I rack the slide on an empty g19 gen4 (not mine) I am like, wow that slide is pretty hard to pull back. I mean it's not that hard to overcome the RSA tension, I mean the unlocking of the barrel. You already pull and pull but nothing moves and then all of a sudden BAM, the barrel finaly goes down into the locking block. This could eat up most of your recoil energy, the slide loses most of its momentum and/or the chamber kicks the spent shell casing out of it's "good" position on the breech face which then fails to hit the ejector in the right spot because the barrel moves down too fast due to the tension build up in the unlocking process. Not sure though.

Last edited by Made in Austria; 05-05-2012 at 16:08..
Old 05-05-2012, 16:01   #529

Ejectors and extractors all worked fine in the past, same basic designs work fine in other handguns. The only thing that has changed in the late Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glocks is the RSA.

Most gun people like to shoot - and want to get as many shots off per dollar as they can. Only the largely fictional "1%" can afford to shoot premium ammo all the time. Seems dumb to drop $1 a round bullets into shredded tires!

Glock has "oversprung" the current RSA, this has to be the source of the "erratic ejection", messing around with the hooks and ejectors is treating the symptons - the cause is the RSA and "bargin" ammo that most folks (including myself) shoot 99% of the time.

We need an RSA that is adjusted for WWB and other "weak" 9 mm ammo!

Last edited by 153; 05-05-2012 at 16:02..
Old 05-05-2012, 16:05   #530
diamondd2

Quote:
I wish it were that easy to just change to a lighter recoil spring. People try this all the time with no good results. I have tried American eagle 115gr and the 124gr's, Winchester PDX1 self defence ammo and others when I first got my g19 gen4 and got no good results out of it as well. .

Please tell me where I can get a Lighter RSA for my G19 Gen4? Up til now I didn't even think anyone knew the current RSA's lb rating.

BTW, which AE 115gr? There are 2 loadings and 1 is under 1150fps, the other is over 1180fps.

Quote:
I agree, hot or even +p ammo lets the slide ciycle faster but with less momentum. You can archive the same thing with a heavier bullet because it remains longer in the barrel which causes a higher preasure build up between the bullet and the breech face which transfers more kinetic energy/more momentum to the slide.
In theory. But in real world tests on my Gen4 G19 bullet weight made no difference in ejection pattern. Difference in ejection pattern was only realized when when rated muzzle velocity increased over that 1160fps threshhold, again, regardless of bullet weight. And i did use hot and standard ammo in the 115gr, 124gr, and 147gr flavors.

Last edited by diamondd2; 05-05-2012 at 16:25..
Old 05-05-2012, 16:14   #531
Made in Austria

There is a 14lb wolff spring available from lonewolfdist.com. You will also need an adapter for your gen4 to make it work in a gen4. The first gen4 G19 stock dual RSA was rated at 18lb's, the 0-4-3 spring is rated at 16lb's.

Last edited by Made in Austria; 05-05-2012 at 16:18..
Old 05-05-2012, 16:23   #532
diamondd2

Quote:
There is a 14lb wolff spring available from lonewolfdist.com. You will also need an adapter for your gen4 to make it work in a gen4. The first gen4 G19 stock dual RSA was rated at 18lb's, the 0-4-3 spring is rated at 16lb's.
Interesting. But i wouldn't consider a Gen3 14lb spring with a Gen4 adapter to be used in my Gen4. And not sure it would be a fair test. On the other hand, if someone came out with a Gen4 RSA 14lbs (13lbs would be better) I think we would have our answer.

Btw, the Beretta M9 is only sprung with a 13lb recoil spring, and that was designed for 124gr NATO at 1185fps.

Last edited by diamondd2; 05-05-2012 at 16:24..
Old 05-05-2012, 16:29   #533
Made in Austria

Quote:
Interesting. But i wouldn't consider a Gen3 14lb spring with a Gen4 adapter to be used in my Gen4. And not sure it would be a fair test. On the other hand, if someone came out with a Gen4 RSA 14lbs (13lbs would be better) I think we would have our answer.

Btw, the Beretta M9 is only sprung with a 13lb recoil spring, and that was designed for 124gr NATO at 1185fps.
Me neither. Yes, a gen4 13lb spring would be interesting. I hope someone brings one on the market soon.
Old 05-05-2012, 16:39   #534
diamondd2

Quote:
Me neither. Yes, a gen4 13lb spring would be interesting. I hope someone brings one on the market soon.
What was the Gen2 G19 and the "first/earlier/older" Gen3 G19 RSA weights?

Also, I forgot to mention I own 3 Gen4 9mm pistols. 2-19's (1 is the wifes), and a 26. All have updated RSA, Ejectors, and polished extractors. They all responded exatcly the same way with the various ammo types. Hot(1160fps+)=perfect/strong ejections, Standard(<1150fps)=sloppy/weak.

Last edited by diamondd2; 05-05-2012 at 16:48..
Old 05-05-2012, 17:07   #535
Made in Austria

I can't remember how heavy they were. I have a May 2011 test fired G19 gen4 and a 2007 (I believe) gen3 G19 and a couple of G23 gen4's. All eject WWB 115gr and federal 115gr and other rather weak ammo perfect. Not one casing leaves the ejection port in a weird pattern, No matter what ammo, light, heavy, weak, hot, self sefence rounds, Nato's, +p, +p+.

Thats's how a Glock should work. That's what made the Glock so famous around the world.
Old 05-05-2012, 17:27   #536
diamondd2

Quote:
a 2007 (I believe) gen3 G19
Like to try the RSA out of that one in a Gen4.

I also have a Gen4 23, flawless, but I have to say is very hard to unlock the breech on.

Quote:
Thats's how a Glock should work. That's what made the Glock so famous around the world.

I hear ya. But I think we are only a couple lbs on the RSA away from perfect ejections from the Gen4's with weak ammo. The flip side I guess would be a little more recoil, but who cares.
Old 05-05-2012, 17:43   #537
Made in Austria

I wouldn't mind a little more recoil either, even a 9mm gun from the world war two era doesn't recoil much. They should have let the recoil springs alone in the compact and full size gen4 9mm's.

A .40 round might overcome that sometimes hard to unlock breech way easier, maybe that's why there are less problems with the forty's. We can only speculate and trying out new things at this point.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:49   #538
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Then why is the new Gen3's having the same problem?
The answer to your question is contained in earlier pages of this thread. So far I, among others, have now answered this question, at least, twice. I suggest you read more and post less.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:54   #539
zero9046

No need to get testy...this is a 27 page topic and whether or not you read every single post, you are bound to forget some of it. In general, this thread has been very helpful in me figuring out hat steps to take with my glock
Old 05-06-2012, 12:36   #540
ken grant

I have read all the posts from the start and have forgotten a lot of what I have read.
All I can remember is there is no one cure that will work on all pistols. Some things work on some and not others and some don't work at all.

I DO REMEMBER SOMEGUYS PUTTING THE BLAME ON EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE PISTOLS.

No one has explained why people have no problems with the older pistols but just the newer Generation 3's and 4's.

Closed Thread