Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 17:08   #801
Beretta92guy

exact same thing happened to me with a NIB G26....

ran like a top for the first 500 rounds, then started getting hit in the face with brass!!!!!

edit: my solution, traded it off immediately....not about to spend $$$$$ in shipping and/or parts and ammo to try and fix it...too many other good guns out there that work as they should....

oh, and my CCW is a G27, i lOVE glocks.......

Last edited by Beretta92guy; 06-30-2012 at 17:10..
Old 06-30-2012, 17:13   #802
AustinTx

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA#5 View Post
You don't have an explanation why older Glocks worked for everyone?
I don't, because they DIDN'T.
Old 06-30-2012, 17:25   #803
AlexTheSquid

I love my Glocks as well - and am kicking my ass for selling my 2010 Gen 3 for this mess - never had a problem with that one. But the new grip and mag release lured me in! However, if this latest purchase of parts doesn't fix it, I will give Glock ONE chance at fixing it (and they better pay shipping) or it is being sold off to the first person that takes it.

I am heavily contemplating an XD 4" model or an M&P - even though I hate the stock trigger on it. Maybe even a Gen 4 23 with a conversion barrel. Other than that I am thinking of heading back to a 1911 platform for my CCW, though I don't trust my girl with it in a SHTF situation - too many things to go wrong. I've trained her on Glocks and want to keep her muscle memory intact with the same type of gun - I will get the 1911 once this mess is resolved.

Last edited by AlexTheSquid; 06-30-2012 at 17:28..
Old 06-30-2012, 17:29   #804
frankr

The more I read about the G19 Gen 4 problems the more I love my G23 and my G22 and my G27.
Old 06-30-2012, 17:36   #805
AlexTheSquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankr View Post
The more I read about the G19 Gen 4 problems the more I love my G23 and my G22 and my G27.
And I love my Glock... but that issue is really biting my ass. If I decide to go Glock again, it will be a 23 with a conversion barrel. But I might end up going with a different gun completely next time
Old 06-30-2012, 17:53   #806
PAGunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTheSquid View Post
And I love my Glock... but that issue is really biting my ass. If I decide to go Glock again, it will be a 23 with a conversion barrel. But I might end up going with a different gun completely next time
No new model Glock is free from issues, sorry to burst your bubble. 23s will give you brass to the face, only with less frequency. Get an M&P research the various Apex Tacticak solutions to crappy trigger, order components, install and you'll have the real Gen4 Glock, which is a S&W M&P.
Old 06-30-2012, 17:56   #807
packinaglock
John 3:16 <><

Quote:
My G23 & 27 gen 4 eject brass like nobody's buisness (love em) If you do give up on the Glocks the M&P's are pretty sweet pistols I got three, and the plus side is they're an American company.
Old 06-30-2012, 17:57   #808
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAGunner View Post
Get an M&P research the various Apex Tacticak solutions to crappy trigger, order components, install and you'll have the real Gen4 Glock, which is a S&W M&P.
+1 on that. The M&P Compact is replacing my G19 for carry.
Old 06-30-2012, 18:01   #809
packinaglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
+1 on that. The M&P Compact is replacing my G19 for carry.
They are also pretty sweet with the X-grip extension and a full sized mag.
Old 06-30-2012, 18:09   #810
Bruce M

I am guessing that you have already perused this thread http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1402990

What size backstrap do you use on the Gen4? If you are comfortable with the grip size of the third generation perhaps you could sell or trade for and older G19...maybe one with some minor finish blemishes could be had without you loosing much in the difference in price between the two.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 06-30-2012 at 18:22..
Old 06-30-2012, 18:21   #811
Beretta92guy

Alex,

both my G23 and G27 have between 2000 rounds between them and both are less than a year old and function flawlessly....

unless you are really hung up on the 9mm, check out the 40.....

you mentioned the XD, i just bought a XDm in 45 which is an excellent gun, nothing wrong with the XD if you want to go 9mm......
Old 06-30-2012, 18:36   #812
BenjiEDF

I have the 26,19, 23, and 27 all Gen 4.

The 27 was a little fussy at first, I found out my RSA guide rod was crooked. I replaced it today and shot 100 rounds today with only 1 brass to the face... everthying else good to go.

Try a new recoil spring before you give up. My G4 19 is flawless... and I hope you can get yours to work that way for you.

"Life is good" ~Hickok45
Old 06-30-2012, 18:37   #813
AlexTheSquid

Bruce, I scoured that whole thread, sadly with no luck... that is why I am ordering the last set of parts before throwing in the towel. I thought about going back to a Gen 3 but the slim frame (no backstrap) helps a lot - even with my "man hands".

Beretta92guy I would like to go .40 but 9mm is cheaper practice ammo, and I have TONS of SD ammo in 9mm already... so I am committed. And with teaching my girl to shoot, I need to have cheap enough ammo for both of us to be practicing regularly.

I am heavily thinking of a XD or M&P for my OWB carry / home gun... then a compact (commander) 1911. I have my eyes out for an M&P Shield for my regular carry (good luck finding one!) and pre-ordered Boberg XR9s for myself and the soon-to-be wife.
Old 06-30-2012, 18:37   #814
AlexTheSquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiEDF View Post
I have the 26,19, 23, and 27 all Gen 4.

The 27 was a little fussy at first, I found out my RSA guide rod was crooked. I replaced it today and shot 100 rounds today with only 1 brass to the face... everthying else good to go.

Try a new recoil spring before you give up. My G4 19 is flawless... and I hope you can get yours to work that way for you.
Where can I find new RSAs for the Gen 4? I didn't know there were companies making replacements already.
Old 06-30-2012, 18:51   #815
Radian

Boring as ever on the glock front

Well mine are. I have been scarce around here, shooting up the $2500 dollars of UMC sitting in my garage. After several national level IDPA matches and a healthy number of 3 gun matches I can happily report my G3 34s are boring as ever. My old 17G2 with god knows 40,000 rounds on it (at leasd) did finally start FTF (light strike), so I am out like 9 dollars for a new reduced power striker spring.

Glock 26 G4 continues to run like a top and it has 336 ejector.

Oddly all the federal employees and law enforcement officers at the TPC matches are quite happy with their Glocks. They wish they were Ed Brown customs, or West German 226s but hey thats normal.

I love the internet.

Quote:
No new model Glock is free from issues, sorry to burst your bubble. 23s will give you brass to the face, only with less frequency. Get an M&P research the various Apex Tacticak solutions to crappy trigger, order components, install and you'll have the real Gen4 Glock, which is a S&W M&P.
Old 06-30-2012, 18:59   #816
AlexTheSquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radian View Post
Well mine are. I have been scarce around here, shooting up the $2500 dollars of UMC sitting in my garage. After several national level IDPA matches and a healthy number of 3 gun matches I can happily report my G3 34s are boring as ever. My old 17G2 with god knows 40,000 rounds on it (at leasd) did finally start FTF (light strike), so I am out like 9 dollars for a new reduced power striker spring.

Oddly all the federal employees and law enforcement officers at the TPC matches are quite happy with their Glocks. They wish they were Ed Brown customs, or West German 226s but hey thats normal.

I love the internet.
Yeah yeah we get it... once again you are apparently a champion level shooter with countless LEO/fed friends with all flawless guns. My what a perfect sheltered life you must live in.

Lets just remember that it is not "operator error" and not "needless *****ing" regarding the ejection issues. Out of the LEOs I know - they all think I am out of my mind for even buying a Gen 4 G19... because they all know how horrible they have been for people.
Now to put it in perspective - yes there are MANY agencies using Glock - but how many are actually using Gen 4 model 19s? Since that is the focus of the issues - lets compare apples to apples. I can guarantee a paycheck that there aren't many agencies with them. And those that are using them are probably contemplating switching to something else by now.
Old 06-30-2012, 19:13   #817
Radian

FLETC is still buying them on no bid contracts, check FBO. You will find various DHS contracts, army, and some Navy purchases. But hey what the hell does navy special warfare know about pistols anyway.

You are right about G19 numbers, most agencies (those who aren't required to use nato ball) use 40SW and purchase accordingly.

Good luck with your gun, but hey if you don't like it sell it. They don't need your money and don't care what the internet thinks because they don't sign PO's. And that my friend is the bottom line.

BTW top level shooters don't buy ammo, I do.
Old 06-30-2012, 19:18   #818
PAGunner

Quote:

I love the internet.
Some people are happy with them, some people don't mind getting pegged in the face with hot brass. I never wear a hat, so I'll pass. Hell, you can go on YouTube right now and view several different reviews showing gen4s being shot called "flawless" and what not by the reviewer and yet they'd been pegged by brass to the face several times. I guess some people just want to believe despite all the evidence to the contrary.
Old 06-30-2012, 19:22   #819
Radian

I can also go to a place called a firing range and watch real shooters shoot real guns while holding a timer and NOT see this happen. Let me repeat, this is what I do with my time, to this date I have not seen this happen in real life at a match, EVER.

I have seen squibs, split cases, front sites fall off, a shotgun blow the hell up (wear safety glasses) and someone shoot their CR-V with green tip 556, after the match no DQ. But hey, I'll keep my eyes out.

Quote:
Some people are happy with them, some people don't mind getting pegged in the face with hot brass. I never wear a hat, so I'll pass. Hell, you can go on YouTube right now and view several different reviews showing gen4s being shot called "flawless" and what not by the reviewer and yet they'd been pegged by brass to the face several times. I guess some people just want to believe despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Last edited by Radian; 06-30-2012 at 19:23..
Old 06-30-2012, 19:22   #820
AlexTheSquid

Quote:
FLETC is still buying them on no bid contracts, check FBO. You will find various DHS contracts, army, and some Navy purchases. But hey what the hell does navy special warfare know about pistols anyway.

You are right about G19 numbers, most agencies (those who aren't required to use nato ball) use 40SW and purchase accordingly.

Good luck with your gun, but hey if you don't like it sell it. They don't need your money and don't care what the internet thinks because they don't sign PO's. And that my friend is the bottom line.

BTW top level shooters don't buy ammo, I do.
No-bid contracts are a different story completely. Yet again falling into someone buying items that the end-user will never really have a say over whether they like them or not. The Beretta M9 has remained in service since the mid-80s even though the vast majority of the "users" despise carrying them on duty.

As for SpecWar and such buying them - that's news to me. I know they still shoot their Sigs and H&Ks, because I've had them in my armory for rebuilds and maintenance. Glocks? Only Air Force and a select few Army that I know of that bought them... and all of them are still on Gen 3. As of now - I know of no units using Gen 4s. And suppose the Navy did buy them - they're probably sitting in some armory collecting dust... just because they bought them, doesn't mean they'll use them. Anything with an NSN can be bought through the appropriate supply channel - and believe me some useless and un-used stuff is bought on a regular basis. Your tax dollars hard at work.
Old 06-30-2012, 19:30   #821
Radian

The M9 is actually a pretty good pistol, people enjoy crapping on it, but its not a terrible weapon. SA/DA sucks but it sucks on the 226 too.

The G19s were probably given to ANA and Iraqi police. Poke around where those guys hang out, they have run G19s and there are pictures to prove it.

The gun does work in general and is used by federal law enforcement. If its broke call them, they will fix it.

Quote:
No-bid contracts are a different story completely. Yet again falling into someone buying items that the end-user will never really have a say over whether they like them or not. The Beretta M9 has remained in service since the mid-80s even though the vast majority of the "users" despise carrying them on duty.

As for SpecWar and such buying them - that's news to me. I know they still shoot their Sigs and H&Ks, because I've had them in my armory for rebuilds and maintenance. Glocks? Only Air Force and a select few Army that I know of that bought them... and all of them are still on Gen 3. As of now - I know of no units using Gen 4s. And suppose the Navy did buy them - they're probably sitting in some armory collecting dust... just because they bought them, doesn't mean they'll use them. Anything with an NSN can be bought through the appropriate supply channel - and believe me some useless and un-used stuff is bought on a regular basis. Your tax dollars hard at work.
Old 06-30-2012, 20:22   #822
JBP55

Quote:

Sorry to burst your bubble but I have 35,000 rounds on a Gen 4 Glock with zero issues and I have seen many, many others with zero issues.
Now run along to the M&P forum where you will be happy.
Old 06-30-2012, 20:23   #823
BenjiEDF

Quote:
Where can I find new RSAs for the Gen 4? I didn't know there were companies making replacements already.
I got a replacement OEM RSA not an aftermarket. From MidwayUSA.com You can try glockstore.com or rockyourglock.com also.

I kid you not, the gen 4 27 is the first time brass has every repeatedly hit me in the face... I think it's weird because you are having the same problem with the 9mm and mine are the 40's. Yet I've never had the same prob with either my 19 or 26 9mm so it can't be an extracter (because they are different for each caliber). I have no idea why some glocks do this...?

"Life is good" ~Hickok45
Old 06-30-2012, 20:32   #824
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
I've been trolling and contributing (when I can) regarding the Gen 4 G19 issue since I started having ejection problems, but here's the rundown:

Bought a SRYxxx (Feb 2012) G19 that ran PERFECT for the first 500 rounds. Afterwards, started having erratic FTEs and brass to the forehead. Cleaned the gun, ran different ammo, etc...

At first I assumed it was the ammo, so I proceeded shooting the next 250 rounds Winchester NATO. Had the same issues, minus my FTEs went from 1 in every mag to one every other mag. Brass was still hitting me in the head the same frequency (every 5th round or so).

As per other threads here, I ordered the LWD extractor and installed it. Went to the range with another 250 rounds of Winchester NATO... had every other round hit my head! My friend who was shooting with me said that all the other rounds went straight up in the air (hitting the trolley for my lane and coming back at me) or over my right shoulder (I am a lefty shooter). He was completely baffled. I asked him to shoot a mag, and all of them came back towards me... and I was standing about 4ft directly behind him and I was catching the brass coming towards me.

So I am now ordering the new load bearing, spring, and plunger from LWD as well... hoping that maybe one of the other parts isn't in spec. For record, I have the 30274 ejector and 043 RSA.

So my question is - what other fixes have I not considered? I am almost ready to throw in the towel and call Glock - but I would rather not give up my CCW to them for a month at a time for it to come back saying "in spec".

I am nearly at the point of buying a different gun - if I knew of one that was as concealable, great-feeling for me to shoot, and easy to find parts for. Someone help this tired veteran have a reliable gun for his (and family's) defense!
Well, AlexTheSquid (‘AlexTheSquid’ ???) you can only do so much gunsmithing on the Internet. This said, if it were my Glock, ……. I’d order several new extractors from the factory. (Problems have been reported with some Lone Wolf G-19 steel extractors; and the one I bought from them looks like crap. Sure it’s steel; but so what?) Next I’d break out my, ‘universal Glock repair tool’ (a Dremel) and put a high polish on the extractor top and bottom flats. If the extractor cut in the slide is off this quick fix isn’t going to help; but this is, still, where I’d start.

Then I’d make sure to install an extractor in the pistol that had an angled claw on it. (Some early extractors did not have this angle and seem to be problematic.) As for the new 30274 ejector? If the extractor is correct then I honestly don’t think you’re going to need to use one. My personal opinion on Glock’s two-piece Gen4 guide rods is that they all suck - The generation number doesn’t matter; and, unfortunately, Wolff Gunsprings doesn’t offer a Gen4 alternative. When I started with Glocks some 10 years ago, now, some Glocks worked and some didn’t. So far nothing has changed. That’s just Glock polymer frame pistols!

In any event I would never ever allow myself to rely on the Glock factory for either advice or repair. If I couldn’t figure out how to repair my Glocks all by myself, (or, maybe, with some help from a master gunmaker like Chuck Lutz) I’d simply turn my Glocks into CZ's or FN/USA's. I’m able to appreciate your frustration, too. My first Glocks came with those intermittently defective (and highly dangerous) #4256 trigger bars. I swear, without being facetious, there were days when I thought my new Glocks were, ‘Hitler’s revenge’! (Nor am I sure that I’ve ever entirely changed my mind.)

Try polishing your extractor flats - I mean really polishing them! I think you might be pleased with the results. (There’s, also, one other spot on the inside of the extractor just behind the claw that needs to be LIGHTLY polished, too.)

Last edited by Arc Angel; 09-06-2012 at 02:38..
Old 07-01-2012, 06:11   #825
packinaglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiEDF View Post
I got a replacement OEM RSA not an aftermarket. From MidwayUSA.com You can try glockstore.com or rockyourglock.com also.

I kid you not, the gen 4 27 is the first time brass has every repeatedly hit me in the face... I think it's weird because you are having the same problem with the 9mm and mine are the 40's. Yet I've never had the same prob with either my 19 or 26 9mm so it can't be an extracter (because they are different for each caliber). I have no idea why some glocks do this...?
That is weird, My gen 4 G27 & 23 ejects brass perfect. My newer gen4 19 ejects kinda weak. But my gen 4 G26 ejects like throwing a handfull of marbles up in the air. I think this is why it's been so hard to pin point the problem, there seems to be no clear cut bad behavior pattern. I'm really starting to think Gaston got drunk one night in a bar over there in Austria walked out in the ally and pissed on some gipsy's foot. Hence the start of the Glock curse.